2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 222 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #3316
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
Mike, just curious, with all of your down time on this motor, why didn't you pull it and put in a GM V8 long ago? Hell, I'm at 40k on mine and my V8 build plan is coming along nicely, although a year or two away. When my 06 grenades, I want to be ready to go with an L33/LS1/LM7 variant and a 4L65E tranny to install. Geez, I'm so over this 42RLE I'm ready to do the swap even if the engine doesn't grenade!
Believe me, I'd have loved to. I lost my job over 9 months ago now due to health issues and couldn't afford the full v8 swap. I did talk at length with Novak on a few occasions for a 5.3 swap and retaining the rest of my running gear-keeping the 6 speed tranny, rubi case, etc. Just couldn't come up with about $5K to do it yet.

Best of Luck,

Mike

55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #3317
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck

Believe me, I'd have loved to. I lost my job over 9 months ago now due to health issues and couldn't afford the full v8 swap. I did talk at length with Novak on a few occasions for a 5.3 swap and retaining the rest of my running gear-keeping the 6 speed tranny, rubi case, etc. Just couldn't come up with about $5K to do it yet.

Best of Luck,

Mike
Understood and thanks for the response. I apologize if I didn't seem empathetic. Good luck looki g for employment.

Mike
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #3318
BeachTJ

OPDA was replaced with a new one from Mopar this morning. Luckily there was no damage to the gear on the OPDA. I did notice it is was very difficult to turn by hand as predicted. The Jeep seems to be running fine however it was at a cost of $325.00 I now wonder if it is better to run a good Synthetic oil such as Mobil One or switch to an oil with ZZDP such as Shell Rotella?
BeachTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #3319
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Changing to a higher ZDDP oil will not prevent future binding.
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #3320
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachTJ View Post
OPDA was replaced with a new one from Mopar this morning. Luckily there was no damage to the gear on the OPDA. I did notice it is was very difficult to turn by hand as predicted. The Jeep seems to be running fine however it was at a cost of $325.00 I now wonder if it is better to run a good Synthetic oil such as Mobil One or switch to an oil with ZZDP such as Shell Rotella?
Seriously, you need to read the thread. Absolutely everything that you have inquired about has been covered and many times over in some cases.
You will find links to any question you may have on the first page.
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #3321
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If the Jeep is a daily driver, you'll need to mod it as described on Page 1 (and the many versions), or dissect every so often and manually grease/oil it. The binding/Laughing Monkey is a result of lack of lubrication and galling. The wear is unidentified and may be helped with higher ZDDP and/or less restrictions on the OPDA shaft.
Unread 06-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #3322
BeachTJ

I am aware of the OPDA shaft needing lubrication. I am trying to choose the right oil to prevent camshaft/lifter failure
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #3323
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I orderd my new OPDA direct from the warehose in Tampa, Fl. $90~ I installed it myself. Took all of 10 minutes. Sorry you had to spend so much. Ouch...
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #3324
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So with a low-mile 06 LJ, I've stayed on top of checking the opda and have not had much concerns yet with 39k. I have used std Royal Purple 10w-30 with good results, but it is a rated oil, APN SN designation. In researching oils on their site, I came across a new blend RP offers called High Performance Street, HPS, which is not APN rated and has, I believe, 1400 ppm of zinc/phosphorous added. I had to call RP to get the details, and was told it is made specifically for either highly modded or flat tappet engines. Anyone used, or had success with the RP HPS?
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #3325
BeachTJ

I am traveling so I had to rely on the Local repair shop to replace OPDA. Had I been home I would have did the Mod and completed the task my self. We used to own a fleet of Semi trucks mostly with Cat and Cummins engines. We used Pennzoil Long Life 15-40 witch I believe is no longer available and Shell Rotella. Oil and filters were changed every 8K-10K miles. Most of our engines would go 500-600K miles plus before overhaul and when tore them down there would be very little ware witch I attribute to the use of these oils.
Unread 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #3326
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachTJ View Post
I am aware of the OPDA shaft needing lubrication. I am trying to choose the right oil to prevent camshaft/lifter failure
From the detailed discussion earlier in this thread and indy research I believe that Valvoline VR1 10w/30 is a great oil for our engines, while others choose Mobil1 Syn, and still others something else. I also think I recall some discussion about Mobil1 altering their formula post the discussion here. This is one link to see what's what on your own, but I think it's also (fairly) commonly understood that proper ZDDP levels are especially critical during the initial break-in of cams and gears to adequately complete the hardening of bearing surfaces, and not so critical after the break-in is complete.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #3327
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

OILs

flying_bosun,
Well you have done it. Dug up some great data. The link answers many of my questions that I have not had time to dig up answers for.
You did good.
Thanks PaulW
=====
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
From the detailed discussion earlier in this thread and indy research I believe that Valvoline VR1 10w/30 is a great oil for our engines, while others choose Mobil1 Syn, and still others something else. I also think I recall some discussion about Mobil1 altering their formula post the discussion here. This is one

link to see what's what on your own
, but I think it's also (fairly) commonly understood that proper ZDDP levels are especially critical during the initial break-in of cams and gears to adequately complete the hardening of bearing surfaces, and not so critical after the break-in is complete.
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #3328
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post
flying_bosun,
Well you have done it. Dug up some great data. The link answers many of my questions that I have not had time to dig up answers for.
You did good.
Thanks PaulW
=====
I send them as emails to myself. Here's a couple more about oil and air filters.

minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index

K&N Oil Filter Expensive and Good

K&N Air Filter expensive and Bad
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #3329
06tjrubi

Opda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
I orderd my new OPDA direct from the warehose in Tampa, Fl. $90~ I installed it myself. Took all of 10 minutes. Sorry you had to spend so much. Ouch...
got a link or a website--$90 is the lowest I've seen.
Thanks
06tjrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #3330
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tjrubi View Post
got a link or a website--$90 is the lowest I've seen.
Thanks
I don't know about $90, but the link in my sig netted be some serious savings on my rebuild. "Jeep club" pricing if you ask for it (speak to Mike V., if there's any confusion)

― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.