2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 221 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #3301
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njseifrick View Post
I have found this vehicle to be quite unreliable, but one of a few equipped for the type of off-roading we do.
Bingo!

It's all Jeep/Chrysler product's! And yet, I just bought another one.

Unread 06-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #3302
BeachTJ

Thank you so much
BeachTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #3303
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachTJ View Post
I thought the OPDA and aluminum housing could be replaced as one drop in assembly? Why would the camshaft be a problem?
The camshaft gear turns the OPDA, which in turn wears the OPDA gear. As was mentioned the binding on the OPDA shaft(due to lack of lubrication, oil content, gear hardness, etc.) causes excessive wear that was never intended. If it doesn't get oil, any parts will wear at a faster rate. There is a member that is producing an OPDA with roller bearings, but it is still in the testing stages on a few Jeeps.
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #3304
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by njseifrick View Post
I would be interested if anyone has seen a repeat after an initial replacement.
Well gee my initial failure as at less than 1000 miles and totally rebuilt by the dealer with new cam, and crank-and whole nine yards. Since that time, I just finished the rebuild myself and now am running the 3rd cam and 4th OPDG. While at the new dealer buying parts for my rebuild, they mentioned 3 of them in that same week for the same thing, all getting new cams and full replacement. Said they had heard of the problem when they took over the old dealer but hadn't seen any till recent, then suddenly that's about all they do anymore. I have two neighbors who went through the same thing-one of them has been done twice now. Once by dealer, once by outside mechanic. I don't buy the "bad lot of parts", not for a second.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #3305
BeachTJ

Since my Wrangler is an 06 it only had the 3yr 36,000 mile warranty so I doubt Jeep will pay for anything since from what I understand there is no official recall for the 06
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #3306
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
" Said they had heard of the problem when they took over the old dealer but hadn't seen any till recent, then suddenly that's about all they do anymore".
Mike
I can't believe they are that ignorant?
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #3307
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachTJ View Post
I never knew anything about OPDA until I first herd the noise. This engine only has 30,000 miles and runs perfectly. I called the local repair shop and they will have OPDA assembly tomorrow. Hopefully we can just swap it out. Thanks for all the great info.
Hate to break the bad news to you but.........the new OPDA is the same as the old OPDA. Unless you modify it you'll probably have the same problem again, go to Pg 1 of this post and read it carefully to fully understand the problem.
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #3308
BeachTJ

I cant believe they have not came up with a reliable replacement OPDA
Unread 06-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #3309
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRod View Post
I can't believe they are that ignorant?
"They" being the old Toyota dealer. They are new to the Jeep/chrysler market within the last year-maybe two. Our local Jeep dealer lost it's license back during the bankruptcy thing and we went a while with no local Jeep dealer. The new one has actually been VERY helpful with me and in the parts/service area alone, has gone over and above in my mind. If I had more faith in the 4.0 engine, I'd have just let them rebuild it and been happy to pay the cost, but unfortunately I don't, and I don't expect this last rebuild to hold out either. We'll see. If/when it goes, it will be the last. I'll do a v8 swap at that point. Keep in mind on my original failure, the dealer at that time who rebuilt it had to keep my rig for a couple weeks while their techs were down at a "class" in Portland Oregon getting training on how to fix this issue. That was back in '05 when new off the lot. Being the new dealer with Jeep, I don't fault them in the least for not knowing more about this as the old dealer handled most all of it.

Still, very curious to know just how big this really is.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #3310
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Mike, just curious, with all of your down time on this motor, why didn't you pull it and put in a GM V8 long ago? Hell, I'm at 40k on mine and my V8 build plan is coming along nicely, although a year or two away. When my 06 grenades, I want to be ready to go with an L33/LS1/LM7 variant and a 4L65E tranny to install. Geez, I'm so over this 42RLE I'm ready to do the swap even if the engine doesn't grenade!
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #3311
BeachTJ

Kinda funny, The reason I bough this 06 was because it was the last of the 4.0. I was told by many people that the 4.0 would last 150-200K miles.
This one only has 30K on it. Guess I should think about trading it off.
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #3312
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Gentlemen,

I saw my plans mentioned above, if not my name...
I have placed orders for all of the required components to integrate a rolling element bearing ( a deep groove, double sealed, grease packed) up top and a proper tribological material replacement bushing for the lower. BTW, both of the OEM bushings, upper and lower, are some sort of martensitic steel, not a sane choice as a bearing material.
Currently, I am waiting for the parts to arrive. I'm confident that these simple changes will solve the problem of the poor OEM OPDA design.
I have delivery dates for the longest lead components of another week or two.

It's really too bad that Chrysler sullied their 4.0 image with this "design by accountant" OPDA. Once this issue is addressed, the 4.0 should be bullt proof, as it should be...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #3313
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Gentlemen,

I saw my plans mentioned above, if not my name...
I have placed orders for all of the required components to integrate a rolling element bearing ( a deep groove, double sealed, grease packed) up top and a proper tribological material replacement bushing for the lower. BTW, both of the OEM bushings, upper and lower, are some sort of martensitic steel, not a sane choice as a bearing material.
Currently, I am waiting for the parts to arrive. I'm confident that these simple changes will solve the problem of the poor OEM OPDA design.
I have delivery dates for the longest lead components of another week or two.

It's really too bad that Chrysler sullied their 4.0 image with this "design by accountant" OPDA. Once this issue is addressed, the 4.0 should be bullt proof, as it should be...
Hopes are high my friend, hopes are high
JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #3314
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey newbees to the OPDA

If you are new to this issue and have posted questions on why or how. Its probably time to read all the messages in this thread. And if you are lazy for sure read page 1. All the answers and speculation and solid fixes are there.

Some quick answers:
* Mileage means nothing some new 04-5/06 (less than 8000 miles) have the problem. Some older 05/06 have it. ALL 05/06 have the issue to some degree.
* Regular inspection is required with all the fixes described on page 1
* New OPDAs freshly installed still require regular inspection until you sell the thing.
* High zinc motor oil is required to prolong OPDA failure or deteriation.
* High zinc oil is also needed for any flat tapped motor, meaning all jeeps made before 2007
* A check engine light means you ignored the OPDA issue or new nothing about it and the engine is probably out of time and a huge bill will be the result to get the thing back operational.

Please dont ask me about the above until you first read the thread. The experts on this subject have documented their efforts on the thread.
PaulW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #3315
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

EWngine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
Mike, just curious, with all of your down time on this motor, why didn't you pull it and put in a GM V8 long ago? Hell, I'm at 40k on mine and my V8 build plan is coming along nicely, although a year or two away. When my 06 grenades, I want to be ready to go with an L33/LS1/LM7 variant and a 4L65E tranny to install. Geez, I'm so over this 42RLE I'm ready to do the swap even if the engine doesn't grenade!
=========
I hear this comment all thetime from guys who have not thought it thru.
Meaning change the engine, trans, transfer, drivelines, and all the instruments, ECU, and wire harness. Any idea what that will cost? Then you will have to deal with emission test for the mod.
Anyway your electronic Jeep is not exactly suited for a v8 swap using a modern GM engine like it was in the old days.
You could have the dealer put in a new for the factory 4.0 several times for the cost involved in a v8 swap.
The solution is fix the 4.0 or sell the thing for parts.
PaulW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.