2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 220 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #3286
BeachTJ

I understand that but since it just started i hope that's not the case. Can the OPDA be replaced as a single assembly?

BeachTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #3287
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachTJ View Post
I understand that but since it just started i hope that's not the case. Can the OPDA be replaced as a single assembly?
Yes, the OPDA is replaced as a unit and it can be done in about 10 minutes if you know what you're doing, but i takes first timers quite a bit more.

Mine laughed one morning and within 4 or 5 days of fairly short trips it was over. Complete cam failure at 65 mph.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #3288
BeachTJ

I will see if they can replace the entire unit tomorrow. How did you know you had complete cam failure? Loss of oil pressure?
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #3289
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I will see if they can replace the entire unit tomorrow. How did you know you had complete cam failure? Loss of oil pressure?
========
Lets try to explain one more time.
1)The best way is to remove the OPDA Using the marking pen method (Sharpie).
If the OPDA gear is good
2)then just disassemble the OPDA and examine the shaft and take what action you need to make it perfect.
3)Then use your small flashlight and examine the cam gear.
If the OPDA gear is good then expect the cam gear will be good, just verify it.

If you think the dealer or independent mecanic will do the above then have them do it. Good luck.

When cams fail the engine will run terrible and theortetically you will get a MIL/CEL on your dash. It happens all the time because guys do not check their OPDA/gears as described above.
PaulW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #3290
BeachTJ

I never knew anything about OPDA until I first herd the noise. This engine only has 30,000 miles and runs perfectly. I called the local repair shop and they will have OPDA assembly tomorrow. Hopefully we can just swap it out. Thanks for all the great info.
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #3291
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post
It happens all the time because guys do not check their OPDA/gears as described above.
How many actual cam failures have been reported in this thread? Obviously some averted because of the modifications developed in this thread though. Every time I come to this thread I struggle to get a handle on how much of an epidemic this problem is or is not. For people affected by it, that question doesn't matter but intellectually trying to understand it in the bigger picture for DC (although I agree with prior posts that since it isn't necessarily a big safety issue that there's probably not a lot to be gained by them taking any responsibility or action).
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #3292
BeachTJ

Because of this issue and others in the past I would be hard pressed to buy a new Chrysler Product. Since my noise just started and it only last 30 seconds or so, Is it really possible there could already be camshaft damage?
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #3293
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When you pull the OPDA, you can visually inspect the gear on the cam with a flashlight. The oil pump drive gear on the end of the OPDA is made of softer metal than the cam gear, so it will wear faster (hopefully).
What is destroying the cam gears is that as the upper portion of the OPDA shaft is not getting lubed, and so the metal to metal thing causes the shaft to get harder and harder to turn until it just welds itself together from friction heat. The cam gear at this point will get stripped.

The laughing monkey is an early warning system chrysler engineers designed into the flawed system so owners would know it's time to empty your pockets one more time.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #3294
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post
========
Lets try to explain one more time.
1)The best way is to remove the OPDA Using the marking pen method (Sharpie)PaulW
I have to say that myself, I think the alignment pin method is more accurate over the sharpie. Granted the sharpie may be easier but being my first time swapping out my OPDA, I believe the pin is pretty much fool proof. Either way if any members put it off, you are asking for trouble. Mine never had any signs of laughing monkeys at 64k but the OPDA gear had pretty heavy wear as you can see in my previous post.
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #3295
BeachTJ

So the actual Laughing Monkey noise I am hearing is from the shaft part of the OPDA running dry? Its not the cam gear making noise, correct?
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #3296
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
How many actual cam failures have been reported in this thread? Obviously some averted because of the modifications developed in this thread though. Every time I come to this thread I struggle to get a handle on how much of an epidemic this problem is or is not. For people affected by it, that question doesn't matter but intellectually trying to understand it in the bigger picture for DC (although I agree with prior posts that since it isn't necessarily a big safety issue that there's probably not a lot to be gained by them taking any responsibility or action).
X2, interested to know the bigger picture as well.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #3297
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So the actual Laughing Monkey noise I am hearing is from the shaft part of the OPDA running dry? Its not the cam gear making noise, correct?
Correct. Here's a dissection.

Engine simply shut down at 65mph.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #3298
BeachTJ

You guys are great, Thanks for all your help
Unread 06-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #3299
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You guys are great, Thanks for all your help
We're not all religious, but many of us will pray for your Jeep anyway. Good luck.

― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

Unread 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #3300
njseifrick
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
My original opda failed on my 06 LJ two years ago at 16,000 miles. We heard the laughing monkey in Amarillo, TX and south of Vernon, while my wife was driving the vehicle stopped. "oh yes, that red light was blinking for a while, dear". Towed to Vernon, diagnosed as failed opda. They replaced opda, cam, lifters, and oil pump. All under extended warranty with $100 deductible including rental car for a week. No problem since with 34,000 miles on vehicle. I have discussed with service reps at 3 different dealerships and none reported more than 2 o3 occurrences of this defect. I would be interested if anyone has seen a repeat after an initial replacement. If not , this could be a bad lot of original parts, perhaps the shaft was slightly off. In any event I signed up for an extended service contract and other break downs have all ready paid for more than half of the contract. I am hesitant to modify my opda due to the service contract so I also got a spare. It would be undesirable to experience a major breakdown at 12,000 ft on an old mining trail. I have found this vehicle to be quite unreliable, but one of a few equipped for the type of off-roading we do.
njseifrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.