2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 219 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #3271
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Of all the people that have seen this thread, read it, know about it or know about the problem, no one has the power or connections to make Chrysler fix this and make it right is wrong. Bullies aren't very popular these days. Chrysler needs to be ***** slapped.

Sell the jet and fix our Jeeps. Chrysler, it's to bad you're not just a school yard bully because if you were... things would get fixed real quick.

Unread 05-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #3272
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Finally

I finally replaced my OPDA this morning after putting it off for months, mainly because of the fear of what I might find. Install went pretty smooth, as stated before the hold down and bolt are probably the hardest part getting them back in place. I started at 6 a.m. and finished at around 9 a.m. and took the longest to get timing notch lined up dead on (not that you have to I was just being ready for the worst). Cam gear did show some wear but it didn't look terrible and it actually looks worse in the pics. OPDA gear has un-even wear like most of the other members have found and all I can say is I am damn glad I didn't put it off through another Winter because I may have had some problems if I did. Long story short, Jeep started up just fine and after a 6mi test drive I checked for codes, NONE!! Just want to say thanks again to all the time and effort spent by all of you members and a huge thank you to Willydigger for doing a wonderful/professional job on my oil cup mod. I will report later on how the new one is performing, just feel relieved the new one is installed. To all you members putting this off, please do yourself and your Jeep a favor and pull it for inspection. I did use the aligment pin method and it is pretty much fool proof.

P.S. Willydigger I sent you an email.
cam-gear.jpg   cam-gearii.jpg   opda.jpg   opdaii.jpg   pump-drive.jpg  

pump-driveii.jpg  
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #3273
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just saying; less than a year later of posting this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...l#post12046262 I had to replace it because of the noise it made when first starting up. So it can "feel good" yet fail soon after.
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #3274
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave View Post
Of all the people that have seen this thread, read it, know about it or know about the problem, no one has the power or connections to make Chrysler fix this and make it right is wrong. Bullies aren't very popular these days. Chrysler needs to be ***** slapped.

Sell the jet and fix our Jeeps. Chrysler, it's to bad you're not just a school yard bully because if you were... things would get fixed real quick.
Well Doc, ya see it's like this. There would have to be a HUGE profit motive and public relations bonus for them not only admit the problem, but also to appear to be the benevolent manufacturer and assist the hapless consumer. In short don't buy or recommend Chrysler products if at all possible, spread the word of our situation and let the buyer beware!
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #3275
BeachTJ

Noise

My wrangler just started making this noise 2 days ago on cold start up. It last about 3-40 seconds. I called Jeep relations and they said there was no recall and wished me good luck. Maybe some one can advise me on how long I can drive it like this?
BeachTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #3276
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachTJ View Post
My wrangler just started making this noise 2 days ago on cold start up. It last about 3-40 seconds. I called Jeep relations and they said there was no recall and wished me good luck. Maybe some one can advise me on how long I can drive it like this?
Not to be a Smart A$$, but till it breaks?
Order a new one ASAP, and change it when you get it, or do one of the modifications as soon as you can. Read the posts, some can break at 25,000 or go to 55,000 I guess it depends on how it's driven?
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #3277
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRod View Post
some can break at 25,000 or go to 55,000 I guess it depends on how it's driven?
And some don't break at all (yet?), but I guess he's not eligible for that category.
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #3278
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
And some don't break at all (yet?), but I guess he's not eligible for that category.
Nope, he's got the "Laughing Chrysler Monkey"
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #3279
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just hit 74k miles, it made the noise twice this past winter for all of 3 seconds.

She's not my DD and is only driven on the weekends when its nice to go wheeln or the beach. I took her to Rausch Creek last Fall and ran fine, purs at 500 rpms at idle still. Change the oil religiously with Valvoline every 3k miles.

CPO warranty is up at 100k or another two years. I pull the OPDA every oil change, I don't see any major issues.

Watch the OPDA will go either at 101k or two years and a day haha.
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #3280
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hard to predict when non lubricated metal to metal friction will cause a failure? Mine is an 06 with about 56,000 and did the laughing monkey once for about 10 sec. That was enough for me to make the mod and forget about that problem and go on to other mods. Good luck with everything.
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #3281
BeachTJ

I think for me i will just replace the entire distributor assembly. They can complete the repair faster that way since i am currently traveling.
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #3282
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Your trouble has nothing to do with the distributor assembly
Probably OPDA or camshsft?
PW
===========
Quote:
I think for me i will just replace the entire distributor assembly. They can complete the repair faster that way since i am currently traveling.
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #3283
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
STOP DRIVING IT NOW! I and others failed to heed the warning sign/laugh and had to replace cam after less than a couple of hundred miles.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #3284
BeachTJ

I thought the OPDA and aluminum housing could be replaced as one drop in assembly? Why would the camshaft be a problem?
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #3285
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I thought the OPDA and aluminum housing could be replaced as one drop in assembly? Why would the camshaft be a problem?
The OPDA shaft gear interfaces with the cam gear so if the OPDA shaft doesn't want to spin the cam gets eaten.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.