2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 218 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #3256
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
The squeal my jeep is making is coming from the driver's side rear of the engine. It kinda sounds like the OPDA but in the wrong location.
If the squeal is coming from the OPDA you'll know it. You can put your hand on the cap and feel the squeal.

My Jeep makes 101 noises, rattles, squeaks, and whines. It vibrates everyday and leaks oil everywhere. There is no way I could afford to fix it all.

I'm happy my OPDA is quiet and that the doors and roof come off! None of the other stuff bothers me. It's the Jeep Thing.

Unread 05-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #3257
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
Doing a OPDA swap is about as difficult as changing sparks plugs, that is where I would rate the difficulty of doing this anyway. If you follow the instructions given (using a sharpie or pin or both) you will not have an issue.

All that being said, not everyone can change their own spark plugs. That is not a dig on anyone, it's just a fact. Mechanical skills, ability to follow instruction and basic understanding on how an engine works can vary widely.
Totally agree. I've never had a problem. I think you stated it perfectly. Easy for me is not easy for everyone. There is a ton of stuff I can't do though so I totally understand.
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #3258
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Its easy...and mine didnt go text book because I ran into some issues...learned a lot about my Jeep and enjoy doing more work on it now...this is in no way hard.
JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #3259
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Doing a OPDA swap is about as difficult as changing sparks plugs, that is where I would rate the difficulty of doing this anyway. If you follow the instructions given (using a sharpie or pin or both) you will not have an issue.

All that being said, not everyone can change their own spark plugs. That is not a dig on anyone, it's just a fact. Mechanical skills, ability to follow instruction and basic understanding on how an engine works can vary widely.
I agree, the first time I removed it, It was a piece of cake dropping it right back in. As I was setting up the oil pressue line, and installing and removing to fit it all together I F'ed up and missed the mark. I had to find the timing mark, turn the crank, align the hole, etc. Although "Fool Proof" there's alwas one of us out there willing to prove different.
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #3260
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

I replaced my OPDA for piece of mind. I purchased a new unit and had it shipped over to willydigger so he could mod it for me. I had no symptoms or screaming animals under my hood. Once I pulled the OEM unit out, examined it and compared it to the new one it was obvious that it was probably just a matter of time until it would have had to have been replaced or worse.
So for the update, the mod obviously works as it is apparent that it used a little of the oil in just the first couple of hundred miles. Also an added bonus is a nice smooth idle or should I say a "stock" like idle. The Jeep 4.0 doesn't even have a "smooth" idle when it's new.
Unread 05-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #3261
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to see if he'd do this mod for me. id be more than happy to pay him. my hands shake so bad that simple tasks like wiring a stereo are almost impossible for me. Should i just message willydigger for details?
crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #3262
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
I'd like to see if he'd do this mod for me. id be more than happy to pay him. my hands shake so bad that simple tasks like wiring a stereo are almost impossible for me. Should i just message willydigger for details?
Send him a PM and see what you guys can work out. He did a great job with mine and made it not even worth messing with myself.
Unread 05-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #3263
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Update:

I replaced my OPDA for piece of mind. I purchased a new unit and had it shipped over to willydigger so he could mod it for me. I had no symptoms or screaming animals under my hood. Once I pulled the OEM unit out, examined it and compared it to the new one it was obvious that it was probably just a matter of time until it would have had to have been replaced or worse.
So for the update, the mod obviously works as it is apparent that it used a little of the oil in just the first couple of hundred miles. Also an added bonus is a nice smooth idle or should I say a "stock" like idle. The Jeep 4.0 doesn't even have a "smooth" idle when it's new.
funny, I noticed a smoother idle as well
JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #3264
55willystruck

Quote:
Update:

so have you checked it since? Assuming you did the little oil cup then?

I'm a little curious how much oil from that cup is actually used, and how often. When I test fired my rig with the new cam, new modded (oil cup) OPDG, it used a little oil on the initial test fire and during cam break in. After inspection and pulling the cap, it was obvious the oil was getting where it needed to be as there was a thin slight oil film all around the bushing under the plastic cover. The oil level had dropped a bit, about half-way down the cup. I attributed that to the test fire and the oil actually working down into the bearing area where it needed to be, then topped off once break in was done.

I've fired it several times since and keep checking just to see how much is used. That oil cup only literally takes a few drops from a medicine dropper. Since initial test fire, mine hasn't dropped at all with my startups. I'm not able to drive the rig yet though so I'm kinda curious how often folks are filling that oil cup.

funny you guys are mentioning the smoother idle as well-I immediately noticed a smoother running engine as well on mine, but just rebuilt the thing too and wasn't sure what I had done different than the dealer on the prior two repairs they did to make mine run so much smoother. Not just at idle, but across the entire range. Interesting.

Best of luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #3265
rnorma1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just posting to infuse this otherwise scary thread with some hope.

At 59k miles, I replaced my original OPDA because of the wear on the driven gear. The wear in my case was similar to many on here. Not scary extreme but far more than I expected.

I completed the original version of the Fog Mod using a zerk fitting and the Aeroshell grease. I also drilled through the bushing at the point of the original grease port to give two spots for the grease to get to the shaft.

I've used both Rotella T6 and the Mobil1 5w40 TurboDiesel oil since then. I've pulled and inspected the OPDA each oil change and then re-greased it. Each time I pulled the OPDA, it spun very nicely.

Yesterday I changed my oil again at 69033 so it's been 10k miles since installing my mod'd OPDA. The driven gear looks excellent at this point and I'm not seeing wear advance much past the initial pattern that appeared after the first 2000 miles.
rnorma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #3266
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
Im in the same shaky boat, some days are better than others but I would rather have someone that knew more about this thing than I do, do the mechanical work.

I told my mechanic that if he could find a solution and was willing that he'd make a small fortune taking care of it for people like us. I never heard back after asking 3 time so I gave up.

Shame of Chrysler for not stepping up.
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #3267
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=DocMojave;13627509]Im in the same shaky boat, some days are better than others but I would rather have someone that knew more about this thing than I do, do the mechanical work.

I told my mechanic that if he could find a solution and was willing that he'd make a small fortune taking care of it for people like us. I never heard back after asking 3 time so I gave up.

Shame of Chrysler for not stepping up.[Quote]

Your being too nice to Chrysler, so much for bailouts.
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #3268
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

[quote=LRod;13627533]
Quote:

Your being too nice to Chrysler, so much for bailouts.
True, if were aloud to use the words that truly describe my feelings Id be banned.
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #3269
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Now don't get me started.................Why doesen't Chrysler "Bail" us out of their mess? It's also the denial on their part that the problem only exists in 04/05 models! (Now back to your regular programming).
Unread 05-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #3270
ArchStanton
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRod
Now don't get me started.................Why doesen't Chrysler "Bail" us out of their mess? It's also the denial on their part that the problem only exists in 04/05 models! (Now back to your regular programming).
If they won't come up with a fix, they should allow other companies to do so with no patent infringement restrictions.
ArchStanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.