2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 217 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #3241
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You almost have to remove the belt. Here is a photo of mine with the belt off & some white paint to highlight the notch in the pulley.

p4110132.jpg  
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #3242
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
I went to install the new OPDA, and I went to start the Jeep, and it wouldn't. I suspect I didn't get the OPDA lined up correctly...so I went back and read how to get it lined up, but I'm having a problem...I can not find the Timing marks on my 4.0...I have a copy of the 2005 Service manual, and posted the page specific to this below.

As I face the engine from the front, I look down just to the right of the middle. Where are the timing marks? I've cleaned off the area where I "think" they should be, but am not finding them. So I must be looking in the wrong area?
My '05 doesn't have timing marks like that either. It's just a single "dial" that you line up with the mark on the crank pulley. The mark on the pulley isn't easy to see. I've had to use a small mirror and flashlight from underneath to see it or, you can remove the serpentine belt to see it from the top.

EDIT: Ruby4MyMrs beat me to the draw
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #3243
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
You almost have to remove the belt. Here is a photo of mine with the belt off & some white paint to highlight the notch in the pulley.
Thanks!

Yes! I see that, but it's clearly not consistent with the FSM! And I saw that area, and cleaned it up on my Jeep, and I found the mark on the vibration damper. So I'm not going crazy! Thanks...

Also, the DRB tool is a problem, I haven't got one to "CAM/CRANK RELEARN". Is there any way around that, or do I need to get a house call from the mechanic I use?

Thank you, too, LOPE...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #3244
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Don't worry about the DRB. Set the marks on TDC, line up the alignment pin holes in the OPDA & start it up. Even if you are off a bit & get the P0016 code you can tweek it into place without the DRB.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #3245
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got my mojo working! And no more whack -a-mole either...halle-frickin' lullya!

1. I pulled the coil rail,
2. Pulled the number one cylinder/plug,
3. Rotated the crank until the piston was at the top.
4. Checked the TDC below,
5. Tweaked/rotated the crank ever so slightly,
6. Pulled the OPDA out,
7. Repositioned it consistent with the way it was when I pulled it the first time,
8. Slightly rotated the wheel in the OPDA about 5 minutes counterclock wise,
9. Dropped it in. It lined up perfectly.
10 Buttoned everything back up,
11.It fired first time!

Damn I'm good! Thanks guys! I'm expecting a code to pop up. We'll see.

EDIT 5/23/12: A Big Mac attack last night found me trying to start my Jeep. It started, but within 30 seconds or less it began to sputter out. I shut it down. Guess I didn't get it in the correct orientation/location....will update when I've solved it. To others who are planning on doing this, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to thoroughly understand & follow the removal/re-installaton procedure!
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #3246
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem and since I was pulling the OPDA so much, I made a pointer on the opposite side where I could see it when I was installing the OPDA. I bolted an "L" bracket to the timing chain cover on the alternator side on the engine, and marked the balancer with a dremel cut off wheel. Now I can align the marks with the OPDA.
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #3247
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you turn the jeep over (with a wrench)while you are under the Jeep you can put your finger on the notch mark to feel when it lines up...so easy and you dont have to remove your belt.
JustinCHorst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #3248
Bigbob

The timing marks are a lot easier to see if you pull the belt off the engine.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #3249
Falcor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I pulled my OPDA to check it last night and was kinda confused as to what to inspect. I did notice that after I put it back in that the sound changed, but then went back to the normal squeak in a few minutes. The shaft spun with no resistance though. Here are a couple pics of the gear. I turned it to show the wear.
opda-001.jpg   opda-004.jpg  

(sold) 07 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 97 ZJ Laredo - 4.0L, 98 TJ Sahara, 78 CJ-7, 88 Grand Wagoneer
www.real4x4.iwarp.com
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #3250
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This morning my Jeep had generated two codes: P2308 #3 Coil, and P2302 #1 coil. So I pulled & checked the coil rail, then reseated it. That worked. Then a buddy came by with something similar to a DRB, sophisticated scan tool & helped to reset the timing. That did require loosening of the bolt that holds down the OPDA, and rotating/clocking it, quite similar to rotating the distributor on older rigs. When he was done, he said to take the Jeep on the road, take it to over 45mph, and then let it coast down to 25-ish. Said to do that 3, 4 or 5 times and that will recalibrate the computer. When it was all done it ran perfect...add another $80.

I see why LRod went to the trouble of rigging up something to make the problem of lining it back up, easier. I feel your pain, LRod! I have to admit I thoroughly underestimated my ability to re-install & realign the OPDA with precision. I want that statement to serve as fair warning to other noobradoodle OPDA guys like myself out here in JeepVille....
Unread 05-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #3251
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Just curious, to the members having problems re-installing the OPDA, which method are you using before you remove it, sharpie, alignment pin?? I was under the impression using the alignment pin on the OPDA wheel/housing when you remove and re-install it things should be real close to dead on. Just collecting information before I pull mine this weekend, Thanks!
Unread 05-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #3252
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep06
Just curious, to the members having problems re-installing the OPDA, which method are you using before you remove it, sharpie, alignment pin?? I was under the impression using the alignment pin on the OPDA wheel/housing when you remove and re-install it things should be real close to dead on. Just collecting information before I pull mine this weekend, Thanks!
I had difficulty my first time using the sharpie for some reason, but using the pin subsequently I've never had a hiccup.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #3253
Falcor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The squeal my jeep is making is coming from the driver's side rear of the engine. It kinda sounds like the OPDA but in the wrong location.

(sold) 07 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 97 ZJ Laredo - 4.0L, 98 TJ Sahara, 78 CJ-7, 88 Grand Wagoneer
www.real4x4.iwarp.com
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #3254
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
I had difficulty my first time using the sharpie for some reason, but using the pin subsequently I've never had a hiccup.
I also use the pin (allen key) method. Last time I pulled mine the timing was set to +1 degree before and was at +2.8 after. Since +/- 10 is within spec I'd say it was in pretty darn close to the exact position after.
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #3255
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Doing a OPDA swap is about as difficult as changing sparks plugs, that is where I would rate the difficulty of doing this anyway. If you follow the instructions given (using a sharpie or pin or both) you will not have an issue.

All that being said, not everyone can change their own spark plugs. That is not a dig on anyone, it's just a fact. Mechanical skills, ability to follow instruction and basic understanding on how an engine works can vary widely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.