2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 216 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #3226
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
I bought a 1/4 x 28 - 30° Zerk, that I'm going to install. It "should" clear as it threads in, as long as the tapped hole is as low on that shoulder as possible. The 30° will give ample room for the grease gun. Yes, I tried for a flush fit Zerk I could access with a needle attachment, but after going to Fastenall, Tacoma Screw, Williams Oil Filter and 2 NAPA stores, and not finding one, I gave up and went with the 30° 1/4 x 28 Zerk. I'm going to install it on the old one as a model first, then into the new one if it all checks out.

That said, I'm not discounting the oil bath just yet. And, I would like to send a new shaft to one of you skilled & talented guys to machine in an oil groove for me. PM me with how much you want for it, or post up the charge/cost of machining if you want to. In the mean time, I'll live with the 30° Zerk. I'll keep checking this thread for continued updates. Thanks again, guys...

~John/Puyallup, WA
Are you putting the 30 degree zerk in the stock plug area? If so you may want to re-clock the housing.

No need for an oil groove.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #3227
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Are you putting the 30 degree zerk in the stock plug area? If so you may want to re-clock the housing.

No need for an oil groove.
No, I'm putting it where WillyDigger did.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #3228
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
No, I'm putting it where WillyDigger did.
Should work fine. When I had the fogmod I got lucky and found a long straight 1/4" 28 fitting. Made life easy. Do try and drill the hole as low as you dare go.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #3229
WranglerTom
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got my Wrangler out of storage and got her running this weekend.

No laughing monkeys or strange noises whatsoever. I didn't have time to try and pull the OPDA to inspect it, mainly because I was driving it. lol

I did look over the outside of the OPDA and could not find anything to identify it, such as the LDI sticker I've seen in many pictures in this thread. Could it be the sticker is on the side closest to the engine block? I felt around and it didn't feel like it had one. Is this common to not have a sticker?

I also went to the Jeep website and plugged in my VIN to see if there were any recalls--there is not. In fact, in seven years of ownership I've never received a recall notice. I checked the sticker in the door opening and it says it was built 2/05. Were all Wrangler's with OPDA problems notified of a recall?

Thanks,
Tom
Jeeperman front and rear bumpers, ORO taillights
Skid Row steering and engine skids
AEV Bridger wheels and Toyo Open Country M/T tires--much more to come!
WranglerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #3230
-JD-
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For the pressurized oil guys out there ... and please forgive me if I missed it over the months that I've been following this thread

Has anyone tried running "barely pressurized" oil into the housing at the typical FogMod zerk/oil-cup location with a return line off of the factory fill port?

I would think that that would eliminate the need to remove the seal while guaranteeing sufficient, but not excess, oil.
2006 Rubicon Unlimited 6-Sp Manual - 285/75/16 Cooper ST MAXX/stock Moab wheels, Savvy Under Armor BL/MML, Savvy Step-Rocker/Sliders, Savvy/Currie Ultimate Steering, Savvy UCAs, Currie LCAs, TBs and BSs, Nth/AEV 3" Springs, Rancho 9000XLs (255s/256s), ARB D44 Diff covers, Savvy/Tom Woods HD Rubicon Rear drive shaft, Genright Safari 31gal Tank Soon: Savvy LED Lights, new engine :-(
-JD- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #3231
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It wasn't a recall. There was a TSB for dealers to check certain early ones. Most were still at dealers & so some original owners probably didn't know of the TSB. It was for bad gears & not to do with present issues. Mine got a new gear but has had binding & excessive gear wear. (less than 20K miles) My OPDA had has the label positioned so I can't see it when installed either & it is not a stick on but "painted" on. Can't feel is at all.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #3232
Falcor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does sound anything like the OPDA going bad? I just bought this Jeep 2 days ago and figured the noise was an easy fix, especially for the price.

(sold) 07 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 97 ZJ Laredo - 4.0L, 98 TJ Sahara, 78 CJ-7, 88 Grand Wagoneer
www.real4x4.iwarp.com
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #3233
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Does sound anything like the OPDA going bad? I just bought this Jeep 2 days ago and figured the noise was an easy fix, especially for the price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MxirJyouq4
Yes. Bring it back to the place you bought it from.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #3234
RubiRedJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quick question: Since the top bushing is porous, has anyone determined (with the right grease ex:Aeroshell ) if the shaft gets sufficiently lubricated w/o drilling a hole through the bushing? I realize that just because original design didn't have the bushing hole doesn't necessarily mean it was a sufficient. Does anyone know what type of grease the original design used?
RubiRedJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #3235
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
For the pressurized oil guys out there ... and please forgive me if I missed it over the months that I've been following this thread

Has anyone tried running "barely pressurized" oil into the housing at the typical FogMod zerk/oil-cup location with a return line off of the factory fill port?

I would think that that would eliminate the need to remove the seal while guaranteeing sufficient, but not excess, oil.
Yes, no, maybe so.

I think if you can get a very slow flow that would indeed work. You only need like a drop every 5 miles or so! I thought about just letting it flow out the top and have a drain in the housing that could flow past the mid seal into the lower bushing area. Rube Goldberg was a saint you know. (Google if you are under 50) One of my big intentions was to get added oil to the gear. I'm still gonna get her done eventually.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #3236
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, after listening to that clip it's far from decisive to me, too. I chased so many squeaks, squeals, chirps, thumps, clunks, ding's since I've owned a Jeep...the chirp that I believe is my OPDA has yet to be resolved as my parts still haven't arrived. But in chasing that "chirp" or screaming monkeys, I changed out my fan belt twice, the belt tensioner, and the pulley adjacent to the belt tensioner. The chirp always returned like a whack-a-mole. You have no idea how pleased I will be if indeed this fix solves it.

To the person who just bought a Jeep with a chirp a few days ago, life ain't over. I bought my Jeep brand new in 2005. It currently has over 165,000 on it, and I'm just now getting to the OPDA issue. My Jeep has been the best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. And, the most fun...
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #3237
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JD- View Post

I useed BigBobs pressurized oil system, piped to the original factory grease port, and regulated the flow with a 1/4" valve. I piped(hose) a drain to catch any excess, from the hole in the OPDA(not to the alignment port) to the oil dipstick tube. I also defeated the oil seal. It has been in for about a month without any problems , so far. I have run it without the cap on and checked on oil flow at idle, it has a steady flow of oil coming from the top of the shaft. I may just leave the damn thing in place till the cows come home. Not to concerned about "venting" as the OPDA already has the alignment port open.
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #3238
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced Mine

This is what my OEM unit looked like when it came out. Last pic is the new replacement unit. Thanks Fred!
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #3239
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I went to install the new OPDA, and I went to start the Jeep, and it wouldn't. I suspect I didn't get the OPDA lined up correctly...so I went back and read how to get it lined up, but I'm having a problem...I can not find the Timing marks on my 4.0...I have a copy of the 2005 Service manual, and posted the page specific to this below.

As I face the engine from the front, I look down just to the right of the middle. Where are the timing marks? I've cleaned off the area where I "think" they should be, but am not finding them. So I must be looking in the wrong area?
tdc-image.jpg  
Unread 05-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #3240
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan
I went to install the new OPDA, and I went to start the Jeep, and it wouldn't. I suspect I didn't get the OPDA lined up correctly...so I went back and read how to get it lined up, but I'm having a problem...I can not find the Timing marks on my 4.0...I have a copy of the 2005 Service manual, and posted the page specific to this below.

As I face the engine from the front, I look down just to the right of the middle. Where are the timing marks? I've cleaned off the area where I "think" they should be, but am not finding them. So I must be looking in the wrong area?
Ugh! Timing marks on my '06 are impossible to see. You may be relegated to TDC method, but I'll look again. Stand by for pics (if I can get 'em this late)
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.