2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 211 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #3151
cv4w
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hello guys, I'm another victim of this thing. I've been reading through these posts and trying to figure this all out. I have a few questions and I hope someone is still monitoring the thread. I've got a 2006 Rubicon with 40k miles. Just started the monkey noise last saturday. As it only occured when cold and went away in a few minutes, it was tough to troubleshoot. Replaced a few pulleys until I found it. Haven't driven it since I found it and read this thread. Probably only drove 100 miles since I first noticed it. The local dealership ordered me a new one and I'm heading up Wednesday for the repairs. My plan was to have them install the first one and let me keep the old one. $375 total is what I'm hearing. I'm assuming, hoping that is, that the cam gear is still ok. I was hoping to either fix the original one with the upgrades you guys have come up with, or if it's too bad, buy another one and upgrade it for a later install. But for the moment, I need my daily driver back.
My questions are this.
1- Am I correct in assuming that the one Chrylser will replace it with is still the same old problem, no effort to correct it?
2- I called 3 dealers, in fact, one of them I used to work for years ago and basically got the same response from all of them. They never heard of any of this. They claim they know nothing of a TSB on it. The last place I called, which is the one getting the job, did say he's replaced quite a few of them in the past. I figured at least they were familiar with the procedure.
3- I wanted to get the first one on Chrysler record by letting them do the job so I at least had a small foot to stand on if I complained to them. Has anyone ever had luck getting any assistance from factory on this? I really don't care about the $375, but I don't want to end up later down the road with the same problem and a bigger engine failure bill.
4- I'm a maintenance tech by trade, so I feel fairly comfortable about the upgrade ideas you all have. Has this shown to be a "fix" or just hold the problem off a while? Anyone have any real long success with it?
5- and another one. I've ALWAYS been a religious user of Castrol. Always ran 10w-40 in everything I own from mowers to Jeeps. I've had quite a few of these 4.0 engines and even the old 258. I've gotten in excess of 200k miles on them with no failure at all. I live in MD. Hot summers, and 20 degree winters. Garage kept. Am I causing some of this with this oil and should I change brands? Or at least weights? I really hate to do that, but I guess if it means saving the Jeep.
And lastly- does the new OPDA come with a new gear installed or do I need to specify that in the repair? The guy at the dealer took my order over the phone and ordered the part. I didn't tell him to make sure I wanted a new gear too.
This whole thing really ticked me off. Like the average guy these days, we don't have much extra cash. I wanted to get the last of the old body style, and more importantly the last of the 4.0. Paid a good bit of dough for this thing used with 33k on it. I was really hoping to have another one that would last the 10-15 years I planned to use it. I love this thing and I can't begin to say how much this has blown my warm and fuzzy feelings away. Any other advice you guys can give me would be great.
Thanks in advance

cv4w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #3152
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Short answer to your oil questions.

You may have not changed oil brands all these years, but your brand has changed on you.

Oils don't have the ZDDP levels they once did, so in essence, the "exact same" oil you have always used is now a totally different formula than it was several years ago. These changes are mostly improvements for modern engines, but the lack of ZDDP is what hurts the lifters/cam and gear drives in older style engines.
Unread 05-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #3153
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Okay folks, time for an update now that I've finally accumulated a reasonable amount of miles on my new cam and OPDA gear. I drove my Jeep from Michigan to Moab for Easter Jeep Safari this year and have accumulated around 4,000 (jeep has a little over 16K miles on it now) miles since replacing the camshaft and OPDA gear. As some of you may recall, I swapped the cam out without pulling the head in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...-head-1218328/

I'm happy to report that the OPDA gear is wearing properly with a small little wear patch of virtually the same width all the way around the circumference of the gear, which is of course what you want:

The camshaft gear appears to still be breaking in and hasn't become polished as yet, but I'm pleased with it's progress as well:

Before I removed the OPDA yesterday, I checked the difference between the "cam-crank difference" and the "cam learned value" and they haven't drifted at all from when I installed them, so that means no wear is occuring - yay!

For anyone curious, I've been running Valvoline VR-1 10W-30 (non-synthetic) since the repair and during the initial break-in I had a crane cams break-in additive in with the oil. That initial break-in oil was drained with just shy of 1,000 miles on it since it had been sitting in the crankcase for about a year and I wanted fresh oil in the Jeep for the Moab trip.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #3154
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv4w View Post
1- Am I correct in assuming that the one Chrylser will replace it with is still the same old problem, no effort to correct it? Correct
2- I called 3 dealers, in fact, one of them I used to work for years ago and basically got the same response from all of them. They never heard of any of this. They claim they know nothing of a TSB on it. The last place I called, which is the one getting the job, did say he's replaced quite a few of them in the past. I figured at least they were familiar with the procedure. No idea. I havent been back to a dealer since purchasing my Jeep 6 years ago
3- I wanted to get the first one on Chrysler record by letting them do the job so I at least had a small foot to stand on if I complained to them. Has anyone ever had luck getting any assistance from factory on this? AFAIK Chrysler has simply ignored the problem
4- I'm a maintenance tech by trade, so I feel fairly comfortable about the upgrade ideas you all have. Has this shown to be a "fix" or just hold the problem off a while? Anyone have any real long success with it? Yes, I have put on many thousand of miles with the fog mod. to me it is a permanent fix.
5- and another one. I've ALWAYS been a religious user of Castrol. Always ran 10w-40 in everything I own from mowers to Jeeps. I've had quite a few of these 4.0 engines and even the old 258. I've gotten in excess of 200k miles on them with no failure at all. I live in MD. Hot summers, and 20 degree winters. Garage kept. Am I causing some of this with this oil and should I change brands? Or at least weights? I really hate to do that, but I guess if it means saving the Jeep. As Heath says. I use a Castrol 15w-40 diesel engine oil also suitable for mixed fleet with API SL. it has a high zddp
And lastly- does the new OPDA come with a new gear installed or do I need to specify that in the repair? The guy at the dealer took my order over the phone and ordered the part. I didn't tell him to make sure I wanted a new gear too. Yes, comes with new gear fitted to the OPDA
This whole thing really ticked me off. Like the average guy these days, we don't have much extra cash. I wanted to get the last of the old body style, and more importantly the last of the 4.0. Paid a good bit of dough for this thing used with 33k on it. I was really hoping to have another one that would last the 10-15 years I planned to use it. I love this thing and I can't begin to say how much this has blown my warm and fuzzy feelings away. Yep. my sentiments exactly
Thanks in advance
answers next to your questions
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #3155
cv4w
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OK. Now, I haven't gotten it in my hands yet, but is there any reason why I couldn't spiral groove the shaft and install an oil line into the bushing instead of a grease fitting? Figured I could bring oil pressure off of a T fitting at the oil pressure sending unit and run it directly into the bushing. From there, I was thinking of letting it drain on past the cam gear and back into the crankcase. That would be a constant supply of oil and require no additional maintenance. Anyone have any input on that one?
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #3156
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK. Now, I haven't gotten it in my hands yet, but is there any reason why I couldn't spiral groove the shaft and install an oil line into the bushing instead of a grease fitting? Figured I could bring oil pressure off of a T fitting at the oil pressure sending unit and run it directly into the bushing. From there, I was thinking of letting it drain on past the cam gear and back into the crankcase. That would be a constant supply of oil and require no additional maintenance. Anyone have any input on that one?
I did something similar, but the oil took the path of least resistance and came out the top of the shaft and into the OPDA. I got tired of foolin with it and piped a drain hose from the OPDA to the oil dipstick for now. I also added ZDDP to the oil and moved on to other Jeep projects, CB installation, powered trans oil cooler, on board air etc. Good luck and keep in touch with any progress.
LRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #3157
cv4w
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Any chance that could be the rotation of the oil groove that drove it upward rather than down? I'm sorry to be the new guy beating a dead horse, but I'm still a bit peaved as it is sitting idle in my garage.
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #3158
Bigbob

Quote:
I did that as well. Look on page 1 for a write up of sorts. Getting the top sealed is difficult.

Now, if you wanted to defeat the seal at the bottom of the top bushing and install a oil line tha just dripped a bit of oil you should be okay. I wanted to run enough oil to add extra oil to the gear, eventually I'll get it sorted out.

I think for now the best idea is to get a new unit and do the oil bath mod. If you think your old unit's top bushing seal is good do the oil bath.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #3159
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I defeated the oil seal but I didn't groove the shaft, and was hoping BigBob would come up with an answer to the upper seal problem. As I said, I just got tired of messing with it and wanted some kind of temporary solution. I haven't been offroad so I keep the cap off the OPDA and check the shaft for oiling, when it's running you can see the oil slowly come up the shaft and down through the drain hose. It seems to be doing well. I'm using my original OPDA, and am leaving it on the Back Burner till something better comes up, if not it will stay in place, all told the parts cost about $20.00.
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #3160
LRod
2006 TJ Wrangler 

"I love this thing and I can't begin to say how much this has blown my warm and fuzzy feelings away." " Yep. my sentiments exactly"

I've had two Jeep Grand Cherokee's and two Wranglers, I'll never buy another one again. I don't know how long I'll keep this Rubicon either.

F_ _ k you Chrysler!!!!!!
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #3161
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Gentlemen,
I am back from my business trip. I have not forgotten this issue nor dropped the ball.
I have been collecting quotes for the required components and raw materials.
As soon as I get a handle on the costs, I'll respond to those of you that want to be beta testers. you can have a modified OPDA for my cost, no labor, just shipping. Then we'll wait a few weeks and see how everything holds up with the accumulated miles.
That's all I have for now...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #3162
ajmadic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How many have responded to being the beta testers? I would like to be one, I'd just need to figure out my driving situation for a week.
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #3163
Bigbob

I can send a new one your way, maybe two of them. On one of them I'd like to install my flow through oil deal to get extra oil to the gear area. I am suspecting with your design the top bushing and seal are eliminated correct?
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #3164
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I can send a new one your way, maybe two of them. On one of them I'd like to install my flow through oil deal to get extra oil to the gear area. I am suspecting with your design the top bushing and seal are eliminated correct?
yes, Bob, the upper bushing will be replaced with a sealed rolling element bearing, and there should be no need for an upper seal, since there would be no leak path.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:28 AM   #3165
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
yes, Bob, the upper bushing will be replaced with a sealed rolling element bearing, and there should be no need for an upper seal, since there would be no leak path.
I was refering to the stock seal below the top bushing.
Will that still be there?
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.