2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 210 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #3136
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
If you can watch a video and follow directions you can pull it.
I'll read up on it again, and do it this weekend. Pics of what I find, of course

ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #3137
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
Finally getting around to putting the engine back together. Just got a case of the turbo diesel truck stuff as it was all that was in stock local. Well two cases actually since there's only 6 to a case, but that means bigger discount which was nice.

So is there an exact parts list to do the oil cup with everything needed specifically to do the mod? I have the new cam and all new parts going in along with plenty of lube from Comp and the recommended bottle of break-in additive, think I have everything else covered to finally put it together, just need to know exactly what I need to buy to mod the OPDG (new) as well as the old for a backup and what exactly to make this "oil cup".

Thanks,

Best of Luck,

Mike
Be sure & put the assembly lube on the OPDA gear & the gear teeth on the cam as well as the lifters.

There is a parts list used by Willy for his oil cup on the 1st page. I think it is linked in the alternatives section.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #3138
PortDawg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

2006 LJ, 34,084 miles. Followed this thread, thanks to everyone for all you have done! I went with the oil bath mod, on a new unit. Original unit spun free, but had the uneven wear on ODPA gear, and wear on cam gear. I disassembled old unit, shaft had weird, uneven wear at both upper and lower bushing locations. It was as if shaft or housing flex, which I believe caused uneven gear wear (or gear binding causing shaft flex?). BTW, big thanks to BigBob for his install vid, spot on. It is the Easiest way, turn crank, line up holes, pull odpa, drop in new odpa with holes lined up, start engine and drive.
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #3139
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs

Be sure & put the assembly lube on the OPDA gear & the gear teeth on the cam as well as the lifters
You'll also want to assemble everything and start it ASAP afterwards so the assembly/break-in lube doesn't have a chance to drip away. Just don't assemble and wait too long before fire it up. I'm sure you know to immediately rev to 2000-2500 rpm and hold it steady for 10-15 minutes on the first start, but I'll mention it just in case. Probably not needed for me to mention, but just in case.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #3140
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Be sure & put the assembly lube on the OPDA gear & the gear teeth on the cam as well as the lifters.
This is the stuff I used...it has the consistency of axle grease, so no concern of it dripping off while finishing the assembly process:

http://www.amazon.com/Paste-Engine-Valve-Train-Assembly/dp/B003AXOYQK
I used lubriplate on the cam bearing journals so I could save the Z-paste for the cam lobes and OPDA gear interface.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #3141
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDawg View Post
2006 LJ, 34,084 miles. Followed this thread, thanks to everyone for all you have done! I went with the oil bath mod, on a new unit. Original unit spun free, but had the uneven wear on ODPA gear, and wear on cam gear. I disassembled old unit, shaft had weird, uneven wear at both upper and lower bushing locations. It was as if shaft or housing flex, which I believe caused uneven gear wear (or gear binding causing shaft flex?). BTW, big thanks to BigBob for his install vid, spot on. It is the Easiest way, turn crank, line up holes, pull odpa, drop in new odpa with holes lined up, start engine and drive.
Thanks.

What size holes did you drill down into the reservoir and how many?
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #3142
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
You'll also want to assemble everything and start it ASAP afterwards so the assembly/break-in lube doesn't have a chance to drip away. Just don't assemble and wait too long before fire it up. I'm sure you know to immediately rev to 2000-2500 rpm and hold it steady for 10-15 minutes on the first start, but I'll mention it just in case. Probably not needed for me to mention, but just in case.
Thanks guys! I did a bit more reading and was worried on timing so I didn't assemble anything yet. Was worried about that stuff dripping off if I didn't get it wrapped up. I have a buddy who offered to help out next week so I may just take him up on it as I could possibly use a hand with the initial fire to get the gear in sync off the scanner thing in case things don't go well.

Yes, thanks for the tip on the immediate rev. Comp sent a couple packs of their "lube" stuff and said specifically to coat that gear and cam gear thoroughly and liberally so they sent extra to ensure I'd have good coverage. Glad for that.

Not sure why this one bothers me so much-maybe because this is the third time and I'm wondering if the dealer couldn't get it right, whether I trust myself or not to get it right... ha! I may just take my buddy up on his offer to lend a hand, he may be quite helpful overseeing things if nothing else. Not a lot of room under the hood for multiple hands, but a second set of eyes is always a good thing.

I'll check that first page for parts list. That was my other fear-having to modify that and not having it done soon enough for test fire... Could do that and have it ready for my buddy to show up then have everything covered.

Thanks,

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #3143
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok gentlemen,

Here are the finished detailed drawings...
All that's left is to mfg the few components and buy some raw stock and a handfull of bearings... I'm away on business for the next few days, so nothing more until 5-9-12 or so...still waiting for a few quotes as well.

stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #3144
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your hard and dedicated work!

Any way to get larger pictures posted somewhere?
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #3145
ajmadic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Can we be purchasing that soon? Is that all we would need?

Edit - Nevermind, I just read a few pages back. Wow, pretty awesome. I'm going to shoot you a PM.
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #3146
Bigbob

Wow, if this does not require lathing of the top bushing area on the housing it is very similar to what I originally planned. My design used bronze bushing material with a seal. I even contacted a bushing builder to see if it was feasible and a estimated cost. I think if enough oil gets up there this will work great. I also think this is a great mod to do my flow though design with as the seal will be centered perfectly and more oil will reach the bottom bushing and gear. Put me first on the list to order.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #3147
PortDawg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

drill bit size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Thanks.

What size holes did you drill down into the reservoir and how many?
I believe it was 5/64th. I put 2 on the low side, with 1 on the high side. Before I installed it, I added oil and held at approximate level it would be installed, spun the shaft , and watched oil/ air pop out of upper hole. I continued till no more air came out. I was impressed how quickly, and completely the oil had filled the resevoir.
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #3148
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDawg View Post
I believe it was 5/64th. I put 2 on the low side, with 1 on the high side. Before I installed it, I added oil and held at approximate level it would be installed, spun the shaft , and watched oil/ air pop out of upper hole. I continued till no more air came out. I was impressed how quickly, and completely the oil had filled the resevoir.
Ditto here. I only used 2-1/8" holes and had the same result. As long as the seal holds up it should run forever. I did my mod to a almost new OPDA, it had about 100 miles on it. I'm going to run it for a couple thousand miles and pull it out and check it.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #3149
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Ditto here. I only used 2-1/8" holes and had the same result. As long as the seal holds up it should run forever. I did my mod to a almost new OPDA, it had about 100 miles on it. I'm going to run it for a couple thousand miles and pull it out and check it.
Be sure to take some pics so I can update the first page with Oil Bath results.
Unread 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #3150
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Be sure to take some pics so I can update the first page with Oil Bath results.
LOL Will do, but it'll be a while. I only drive the thing 4,00 miles a year or so!
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.