2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #301
pslamp32
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
A normal OPDA gear will have a small 1/8" shiny wear spot in the middle of each tooth. The mark should be in the middle and the same spot on all teeth. There should be no striations or dept to the wear mark.

FOG
How bad does this look? 05 X with 72,000 miles...

pslamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #302
Phil05LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'll make an effort to persuade NHTSA to investigate this problem for the potential safety hazard it poses. I'll keep you posted. I urge anyone that has experienced this problem to file a complaint on NHTSA's website.
Phil05LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #303
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil05LJ View Post
I'll make an effort to persuade NHTSA to investigate this problem for the potential safety hazard it poses. I'll keep you posted. I urge anyone that has experienced this problem to file a complaint on NHTSA's website.
That is great, but I don't see where this is a safety hazard. I went through the Ram 9.25 rear axle failed LSD deal and spoke with 2 people I know who actually had this issue make them loose control of the truck and go off the road. Nationwide many complaints went to NHTSA and no action was ever taken. Many of these failed 9.25 rear ends are still on the road just waiting to come apart. Just like the OPDA it was a simple fix and Chrysler never showed interest to take care of it.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #304
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I will be installing the FogMod shortly. I plan to take pictures through the process and will have them up this afternoon.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #305
07AMF
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Going to attemp to do the mod. Do I have to drill through the bushing when drilling for the grease port?

Thanks
07AMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #306
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslamp32 View Post
How bad does this look? 05 X with 72,000 miles...

I've seen worse. At 72,000 miles I don't think that is horrible. To me it looks as if that would be the original gear. Was your Jeep ever serviced under the E05 Service Bulletin? If not, the dealership will replace your gear.
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #307
pslamp32
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
I've seen worse. At 72,000 miles I don't think that is horrible. To me it looks as if that would be the original gear. Was your Jeep ever serviced under the E05 Service Bulletin? If not, the dealership will replace your gear.
Never serviced before, at least according to CARFAX. I looked up my VIN at JEEP site and no mention of recall for my Jeep. Odd...
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #308
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslamp32 View Post
I looked up my VIN at JEEP site and no mention of recall for my Jeep. Odd...
There is no recall, just a service bulletin.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #309
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
There is no recall, just a service bulletin.
I received a print out from the service manager at my local dealership after I purchased my Jeep. It lists "Recall E05 - Oil Pump Drive Gear" performed December 14, 2005. I believe there was an actual recall on the gears. It also listed one open recall before I had it fixed which was the transmission cup plug bracket. Both were listed under the recall section.
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #310
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
I received a print out from the service manager at my local dealership after I purchased my Jeep. It lists "Recall E05 - Oil Pump Drive Gear" performed December 14, 2005. I believe there was an actual recall on the gears. It also listed one open recall before I had it fixed which was the transmission cup plug bracket. Both were listed under the recall section.
Go figure, both the Chrysler rep and the dealership told me it was just a service bulletin. Just adds to the lack of good info coming from both areas.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #311
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well I got the guts up and inspected mine. The internal gear does show wear pretty much top to bottom. Whether there are striations in it, my eyes can not tell. The OPDA showed just maybe a 5/16" oval pattern toward the bottom with no striations, like just the finish worn off, at least buying plenty of time til parts come out. I meant to get pix, but I got nervous when the drive spun on me when trying to feel out the point to mark when the gear lets loose inside. I got it right anyway, no retiming
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #312
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Go figure, both the Chrysler rep and the dealership told me it was just a service bulletin. Just adds to the lack of good info coming from both areas.
I don't think I was supposed to get a copy of what he gave me, I'll snap a pic of the paper in a bit and post it. So many inconsistencies both with dealerships and Chrysler.
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #313
grnberet2b
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that their system has to record things as a recall if free replacement parts are given, not that it really is a recall. If it was a recall, it would be posted on the NTSB website afaik

Last edited by grnberet2b; 01-30-2011 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: i speel gud
grnberet2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #314
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnberet2b View Post
I'm willing to be that their system has to record things as a recall if free replacement parts are given, not that it really is a recall. If it was a recall, it would be posted on the NTSB website afaik
That makes sense! The gears were to be replaced at no charge to the owner.
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #315
pslamp32
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just thought I'd post what a Jeep mechanic told me about taking the OPDA in and out. I did mine and everything seems perfect but...

"Now, how ya gonna sync it back up? It ain't drop in and run..."

"As long as you mark it and drop it back in the same tooth like a distributor, why would it matter?"

"On a distributor type setup that would be fine, of course. But 99 and new 4.0's actually sync the cam and crank sensors together for fuel trim. They must be within 2 degrees on 99-04 and .5 degrees on 05-06. Its not easily attained without the proper scan tool."

"You guys be careful removing these to "inspect". They do drop back in a bolt down, but they will not be properly in sync and will not perform correctly."

"If some of you didn't know, I'm a 13 year lead tech at Asheville's Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer. I'm not just spewing interweb junk here."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.