2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 208 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #3106
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
A quick update, gentlemen.
I have fully disassembled a donated, damaged OPDA and was I ever shocked.
The construction of that thing is some of the worst engineering I have seen my last visit to NASA Glenn.
I have arrived at a reliable, simple solution using most of the OEM components, proper materials based on tribological needs, (unlike OEM cost accounting designs), and no need for oil cups, added oil lines, or any special service. In a short time, I'll be asking for volunteers to send me their OPDA's so I can modify them, and you guys can accumulate the mileage to assess the effectiveness of my design. If all goes as I expect, I can fix ALL of the OPDA's that were poorly designed and manufactured by Chrysler.

CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #3107
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy
The construction of that thing is some of the worst engineering I have seen my last visit to NASA Glenn.
I have arrived at a reliable, simple solution using most of the OEM components, proper materials based on tribological needs, (unlike OEM cost accounting designs), and no need for oil cups, added oil lines, or any special service. In a short time, I'll be asking for volunteers to send me their OPDA's so I can modify them, and you guys can accumulate the mileage to assess the effectiveness of my design. If all goes as I expect, I can fix ALL of the OPDA's that were poorly designed and manufactured by Chrysler.
Pm sent. I have a OPDA with 2000 miles on it that's sitting on my shop for you.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #3108
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Please don't take offense (this is just the skeptic and devil's advocate in me ), but we've heard a similar post from other vendors in the past with no results.

Can you offer any info on your proposed design mod/change? Bearing? Bushing change? Seal modification?

I would also assume it related solely on lubrication of the upper bushing and not necessarily the gear wear?

What is the cost of the this change?

Are these mods something an average Joe can do or are you suggesting changes that would require professional modification?
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #3109
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Please don't take offense (this is just the skeptic and devil's advocate in me ), but we've heard a similar post from other vendors in the past with no results.

Can you offer any info on your proposed design mod/change? Bearing? Bushing change? Seal modification?

I would also assume it related solely on lubrication of the upper bushing and not necessarily the gear wear?

What is the cost of the this change?

Are these mods something an average Joe can do or are you suggesting changes that would require professional modification?
Willy,

No offense taken... I'm sure you've heard all this before.
If you have the time, visit my company's website miti.cc and stroll around a bit. Everything you see there was designed by me, read some of the technical papers, our specialty is in the field of tribology. We are the recognized world leader in our field. I own a significant share of the company and am one of the founders.

Enough of my BS, now let's answer some questions.
Upper bushing would be swapped with a sealed, rolling element bearing.
Housing and shaft modified to suit.
Lower bushing swapped with a proper material for a reliable tribological pairing.
Gear? My suspicion is that most gear wear is the result of the near siezure of upper bushing, not a lack of lubrication. But I could be wrong, hence the beta testing...

My preference would be to offer as a retrofit kit. Simple disassembly and part swap out. Less desirable for me would be a full rebuild, I just don't have enough free time.

Costs? Not sure yet, I need to finish the design and get cost and delivery estimates, as well as batch quantity estimates. Regardless, costs would definitely be far less than a replacement OPDA, and more importantly, actually solve the problem.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #3110
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

No offense taken.....
Stripperguy, certainly looks like you're for real. I visited your web site. I look forward to the results of your efforts. I'll give you an advance, thanks, and another major thanks to several members that have made amazing contributions here.

I've been fog-modded for a year or so and so far opda is looking good.
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #3111
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Willy,

No offense taken...
My preference would be to offer as a retrofit kit. Simple disassembly and part swap out. Less desirable for me would be a full rebuild, I just don't have enough free time.

Costs? Not sure yet, I need to finish the design and get cost and delivery estimates, as well as batch quantity estimates. Regardless, costs would definitely be far less than a replacement OPDA, and more importantly, actually solve the problem.
Thanks for the understanding.

Do you have an idea on a time line for a kit, is this weeks or months down the road?
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #3112
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Willy,

No offense taken... I'm sure you've heard all this before.
If you have the time, visit my company's website miti.cc and stroll around a bit. Everything you see there was designed by me, read some of the technical papers, our specialty is in the field of tribology. We are the recognized world leader in our field. I own a significant share of the company and am one of the founders.

Enough of my BS, now let's answer some questions.
Lower bushing swapped with a proper material for a reliable tribological pairing.
Gear? My suspicion is that most gear wear is the result of the near siezure of upper bushing, not a lack of lubrication. But I could be wrong, hence the beta testing...

This sounds great. One question- what would you estimate the time frame to come up with this design, test it out, put together a kit, etc?

I know it can't be done overnight, but if it takes as long as Crown has been "working" on their replacement, i'm wondering if anyone can even fix it.
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #3113
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I expect I can get to this in a week or two...
Just to clarify, I am not an aftermarket vendor or even a job shop. My business is vastly different. All of this is my personal time and commitment to fix a problem that plagues many of us. I only want to fix the problem, not compete with mass manufacturing or OEM's.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #3114
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just to clarify, I am not an aftermarket vendor or even a job shop. My business is vastly different. All of this is my personal time and commitment to fix a problem that plagues many of us. I only want to fix the problem, not compete with mass manufacturing or OEM's.

I wish you good luck on the new design.
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #3115
grpatter
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is some of the best news I've heard in a *long* time.

I think I speak for most of JF in saying good luck and I hope this works out as you expect; you'll have more gratitude than you know what to do with.
grpatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #3116
Bigbob

Thumbs up on this.

I've had a number of ideas that I know would work, but not having the machinery to do the job has been my downfall.

Just to let you know, with a stock shaft, no oil feed spiral groove, and the seal out not much oil reaches the top bushing. I ran mine like that for a while and although little oil got up there, I bet it was sufficient to lube the bushing.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #3117
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product. Put me down for one if you get it working.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #3118
Bigbob

Quote:

You definitely don't want to do an exchange deal or out right sale of the whole unit. If you do before you know it some bozo will try and sue you cause his engine blew. I'd think that Chrysler may have issues with that as well. Not sure.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #3119
Bigbob

I'm a dummy, school me on tribological pairing.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #3120
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I'm a dummy, school me on tribological pairing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Tribology is the science and engineering of interacting surfaces in relative motion. It includes the study and application of the principles of friction, lubrication and wear. Tribology is a branch of mechanical engineering...

The tribological interactions of a solid surface's exposed face with interfacing materials and environment may result in loss of material from the surface. The process leading to loss of material is known as "wear". Major types of wear include abrasion, friction (adhesion and cohesion), erosion, and corrosion. Wear can be minimized by modifying the surface properties of solids by one or more of "surface engineering" processes (also called surface finishing) or by use of lubricants (for frictional or adhesive wear).
Just busting yer balls, Bob.

Sounds like we have the man with the motivation AND the means to do something.

[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.