2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 207 - JeepForum.com

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3091 of 5448 Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 AM
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
MAy seem like a dumb question but I'm not sure of the answer. If an 05 or 06 engine does fail, can't you replace it with an earlier 4.0 from an 04 for example? Or is the ECU completely different?
Its different, otherwise we would all just replace our opda with 04's...just mod the opda its not that big of a deal unless you decide to ignore the issue all together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 5448 Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 AM
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
The pre 05 has a completely different ECU so you can't just swap the parts. Plus if you are in an area with emissions testing I don't believe you can legally put an older engine into a vehicle.
Bummer. Oh well it was worth asking.

That being said. I'm doing an oil change today and decided to go with the Valvoline VR-1 "Racing" oil. Last oil change i switched from regular dino to mobil 1 full synthetic. I shouldn't run into any problems going to VR-1 should I?

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip****s.
post #3093 of 5448 Old 04-27-2012, 07:48 AM
keithert

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Bummer. Oh well it was worth asking.

That being said. I'm doing an oil change today and decided to go with the Valvoline VR-1 "Racing" oil. Last oil change i switched from regular dino to mobil 1 full synthetic. I shouldn't run into any problems going to VR-1 should I?
I went from Mobil 1 to the VR1 and actually solved an issue. With Mobil1 my rear main seal was leaking enough that I lost oil over time. With the VR1 the leak all but stopped. I don't think you will have a problem going back to dino.

Current: 2005 Wrangler Unlimited - Past: 90 and 92 Trackers and 98 Wrangler SE
post #3094 of 5448 Old 04-27-2012, 07:51 AM
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I went from Mobil 1 to the VR1 and actually solved an issue. With Mobil1 my rear main seal was leaking enough that I lost oil over time. With the VR1 the leak all but stopped. I don't think you will have a problem going back to dino.
Good to know. Thanks for the tip buddy.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip****s.
post #3095 of 5448 Old 04-27-2012, 08:21 AM
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
MAy seem like a dumb question but I'm not sure of the answer. If an 05 or 06 engine does fail, can't you replace it with an earlier 4.0 from an 04 for example? Or is the ECU completely different?
======
Its a no go for sure. The 04, 05, and 06 are each electrically different from each other. The ECUs are completely different.

Having said that a swap that includes the wire harness, sensors and the multiple ECUs is certainly doable. Of course going to an older motor is $illegal$ if you ever get inspected. There are many issues that drove these changes and they did not all have to do with emissions.
PaulW

pwmac
Durango, CO
06 Rubicon, modified
post #3096 of 5448 Old 04-27-2012, 08:43 AM
keithert

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post
There are many issues that drove these changes and they did not all have to do with emissions.
PaulW
What are some of them?

post #3097 of 5448 Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 AM
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What are some of them?
========
In our experience
Electrical. The main issue with the 04 vis connectors and intermittant wire connections. Heat affects the auto computer. Anyway trouble shooting usually defeates even the best factory trained mechanics. The DIY guys usually replace wires and connectors. Even then we never know it the thing will get home. Limp mode is the pits.
The real solution is to get a later model.
PW

pwmac
Durango, CO
06 Rubicon, modified
post #3098 of 5448 Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac View Post
======
Its a no go for sure. The 04, 05, and 06 are each electrically different from each other. The ECUs are completely different.

Having said that a swap that includes the wire harness, sensors and the multiple ECUs is certainly doable. Of course going to an older motor is $illegal$ if you ever get inspected. There are many issues that drove these changes and they did not all have to do with emissions.
PaulW
I wish that someone that deals with the ECU's would just write a program to allow the use of an 04' or older OPDA with the 05' and 06' ECU's. The way I understand the difference is that the larger target wheel on the newer units is necessary to provide more " pulses" per engine revolution to the ECU to allow more adjustment in the how the engine runs in regard to making it more emission friendly. This has been mandated by the government and all the manufacturers modified their engines to meet these standards. GM did it with the computers themselves, a good way to go since they were changing their entire lineup of motors at the time.

Chrysler only had to get 2 more years out of the 4.0 so no doubt the the OPDA change was more cost effective.

Since the ECU stores the VIN # for when the Jeep is plugged in for inspection as long as no codes are given it should pass.

I'm not smart enough to know if this is viable or not, but wish a engineer with ECU experience could give it a try.

If not the oil cup is here to stay!
post #3099 of 5448 Old 04-29-2012, 05:28 PM
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Where are you guys getting the VR1? Last oil change I picked some up at O'reilly, they no longer offer it. Same situation with Autozone and Advance. Suggestions? Besides online?

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
2005 TJ X (daily driver)
post #3100 of 5448 Old 04-29-2012, 05:52 PM
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Where are you guys getting the VR1? Last oil change I picked some up at O'reilly, they no longer offer it. Same situation with Autozone and Advance. Suggestions? Besides online?
None of the places I have locally carry it so I have them bring it in special for me.

Gear-Calculator Stu Can Help You Part Names and Numbers Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
post #3101 of 5448 Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM
06tjrubi

Vr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
NAPA carrys it here--I buy it by the case.
post #3102 of 5448 Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are you sure O'reilly can't get it for you? I just saw it in one of their stores a couple days ago. I see it online on their site. I seem to remember it being higher price in the store. Here is a link:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0425&ppt=C0162
post #3103 of 5448 Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 PM
TJJP77

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I hope O'reilly's can still get the VR1. That's where I got mine from the last time they put it on sale. They did have to order it from the warehouse though....they only carried the 20W-50 in the store. Like another poster said, NAPA can get it as well. Worst case, Amazon carries it and offers free shipping if memory serves.

Chris
'02 Sahara
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
post #3104 of 5448 Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 PM
keithert

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Last time I ordered a case on Amazon.

post #3105 of 5448 Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 PM
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A quick update, gentlemen.
I have fully disassembled a donated, damaged OPDA and was I ever shocked.
The construction of that thing is some of the worst engineering I have seen my last visit to NASA Glenn.
I have arrived at a reliable, simple solution using most of the OEM components, proper materials based on tribological needs, (unlike OEM cost accounting designs), and no need for oil cups, added oil lines, or any special service. In a short time, I'll be asking for volunteers to send me their OPDA's so I can modify them, and you guys can accumulate the mileage to assess the effectiveness of my design. If all goes as I expect, I can fix ALL of the OPDA's that were poorly designed and manufactured by Chrysler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.