2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 206 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #3076
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Remove your belt and check all the accessories, in particular, the idler and tensioner pulleys. My tensioner pulley went bad and it gave me the laughing monkey.

Unread 04-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #3077
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

While the belt is off start the engine briefly to see if the noise is still there or gone.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #3078
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
But besides all that, I have received a damaged OPDA courtesy of whatnow.
I have disassembled it and measured some key dimensions. It seems there is an easy way to permanently fix the upper bushing issue that still uses the OEM components or at least most of them. Once I get all the design drawings complete, I'll post the results here...
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #3079
RubiRedJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Another angle for the OPDA problem

I have a 06 LJ with 21K miles. My OPDA gear is moderately worn. I removed the gear and noticed some discoloration on the gear where it contacts the thrust washer. Half of the top gear surface is bright and the other half is dull. I also noted that the gear's teeth wear marks are different on one side than the other. It seems the lower edge of the gear wear moves closer to the roll pin for one quadrant of the gear.

I looks like the gear is moving in an out as it is driven by the cam gear which explains the wear patterns.

I recall a Jeep Chief Engineer from a forum thread suggesting that there could be a tolerance problem with the OPDA. Could it be an alignment issue and a soft bushing causing the problem?

Does anyone else see these wear problems?
RubiRedJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #3080
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiRedJeeper View Post
I have a 06 LJ with 21K miles. My OPDA gear is moderately worn. I removed the gear and noticed some discoloration on the gear where it contacts the thrust washer. Half of the top gear surface is bright and the other half is dull. I also noted that the gear's teeth wear marks are different on one side than the other. It seems the lower edge of the gear wear moves closer to the roll pin for one quadrant of the gear.

I looks like the gear is moving in an out as it is driven by the cam gear which explains the wear patterns.

I recall a Jeep Chief Engineer from a forum thread suggesting that there could be a tolerance problem with the OPDA. Could it be an alignment issue and a soft bushing causing the problem?

Does anyone else see these wear problems?
I just happen to have my old gear sitting here at my computer that I ruined when re-installing. It has the same wear on top where it contacts the thrust washer as you mention yours has (noticeably more wear on one side than the other), so I would say that's normal as this gear I mentioned was fine (before I messed it up anyway) and shouldn't be an issue.

As far as the other things you mention about tolerance and alignment, that's kinda' the million dollar question. Some of the gears just wear down quickly and/or unevenly while others don't and we're not sure why. Basically we've tried to address the lack of lube to the upper bushing and have tried higher zinc oils for the gear wear issue and it seems to be an improvement.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #3081
RubiRedJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. Ok, the previous design (pre 2005) had more lubrication. Perhaps keeping the bushing well lubed is a long term cure for this design. A tolerance problem would explain why some people have problems and some don't. The wear pattern that I'm talking about suggests that the OPDA gear is moving in and out relative to the cam gear, like for instance if the shaft was a little bent. I want to see if the gear wear is common suggesting a root problem. Zinc oil won't help the top bushing unless you oil it. One more thing about the ZDDP is that is may be hazardous to your Catalytic converter.
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #3082
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Zinc oil won't help the top bushing unless you oil it. One more think about the ZDDP is that is may be hazardous to your Catalytic converter.
Oiling the top bushing was the origin of the FogMod and subsequent oil cup/bath modifications since. If you haven't already reviewed the first page take a minute (maybe longer ) to have a look. There are a lot of clever ideas and a ton of info.

The debate of ZDDP and the catalytic converter has been discussed several times. IMO a non-issue unless your burning oil and even then a cat is a relatively easier fix than tearing down an engine. I get a lot of satisfaction knowing I'm using a higher ZDDP oil.

I'm not so much worried about the wear. Wear will happen. I am more worried about the binding and potential for a more serious and abrupt engine problem.
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #3083
Killedbybob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 05 tj with 130000 miles. Do you think I have this problem?
Black 2005 TJ 4.0L Automatic l Dana 44 Rear l Viper 791XV l RB1 Nav System l Top Five Rack and Safari Basket l Cobra 75wx st l RE 3.5 Super Flex l 305x70xr16 Nitto Mud Grapplers l Sniper Fab Front Bumper l Sniper Fab Tube Fenders l Rockhard 4x4 Rear Swingaway Bumper l Shrockworks rocker guards l TW front and rear driveshafts l
Killedbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #3084
RubiRedJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, saving the engine is the whole point. The ZDDP will certainly help the prolong lifter/cam life and I have decided to use it myself. I'm just trying to get some more details on the wear patterns which can suggest the best fix.
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #3085
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killedbybob View Post
I have an 05 tj with 130000 miles. Do you think I have this problem?
Yes, you definately have the problem, question is, just how bad yours is. Only one way to find out...
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #3086
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, saving the engine is the whole point. The ZDDP will certainly help the prolong lifter/cam life and I have decided to use it myself. I'm just trying to get some more details on the wear patterns which can suggest the best fix.
We haven't developed enough evidence to confirm anything. There have been a couple vendors (no free publicity! ) who have said they are doing something, but have yet to do anything. Maybe because we don't know the true cause of wear.

We do know that upper bushing/shaft will gall, and bind, and laugh, and fail. So for the time being we can address that. Maybe, this will solve/minimize the high wear issue too. Wishful thinking at this point.

There have been some reports with relatively low mileage that show smaller wear patterns (including mine) but at this point I put zero faith in it. If you plan to do the FogMod to fix the wear, I think at this point, that is a bad conclusion. The FogMod will help the upper bushing problem and that along with the relatively low cost of the mod is worth it for me.
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #3087
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I find that I like my Jeep better since doing the oil cup mod. Knowing that the engine may now live to 200k miles like most 4.0's is a relief. On the other hand I still don't quite fully trust the engine. I wish I had bought the 04 that I looked at!
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #3088
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Yes, you definately have the problem, question is, just how bad yours is. Only one way to find out...
130K is great with no laughing monkey. Like many have said, there is no harm in checking. You may find a gear on it's last leg, or you may be pleasantly surprised with a small wear pattern. Check it, it's free and you'll feel better about knowing. Also know, there is no lube to the upper bushing so there is still potential even if everything looks good.

We've confirmed recently that the upper bushing is porous allowing for some lubrication. Maybe your Jeep has a "good" OPDA. Check it and be sure.

All the info is on the first page of this thread.
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #3089
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I find that I like my Jeep better since doing the oil cup mod. Knowing that the engine may now live to 200k miles like most 4.0's is a relief. On the other hand I still don't quite fully trust the engine. I wish I had bought the 04 that I looked at!
MAy seem like a dumb question but I'm not sure of the answer. If an 05 or 06 engine does fail, can't you replace it with an earlier 4.0 from an 04 for example? Or is the ECU completely different?
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #3090
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
MAy seem like a dumb question but I'm not sure of the answer. If an 05 or 06 engine does fail, can't you replace it with an earlier 4.0 from an 04 for example? Or is the ECU completely different?
The pre 05 has a completely different ECU so you can't just swap the parts. Plus if you are in an area with emissions testing I don't believe you can legally put an older engine into a vehicle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.