2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 205 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 04-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #3061
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveBikr View Post
going to do the switch right after work. pulled the cover and have the holes aligned right now. very worried what i will find. there was actually dirt/dust under the cover.... doesn't seem like that is a good thing..

going to loosen it up and pull it in about 45 min.
You're fortunate to have removed the cover in one piece. I had an OPDA cover bolt seize and pull the threads out with it. Turned out to be the hardest part of the swap.

The design of the gear mesh is a high wear type anyway. The design of the OPDA gear is supposed to use a less hardened steel so that if the mesh is poor or there is wear, it will wear the weaker (easier to replace) OPDA gear.

Just because the OPDA gear is razor thin and mangled doesn't necessarily mean the camshaft gear will be the same. When you look in the engine at the camshaft gear, you want to look for the meat of the tooth. How thick is it? There will be surface wear and there will be wear on the tips/edges, but it's the center of the tooth you want to look at. If it's thin, than your camshaft gear is ruined and you're on borrowed time.

Here is a repost of the gear area. Both of these gears have wear and edges on the ends, but they still have a thick tooth. It's hard to tell with the lower pic, but you'll see it when you have yours out. I could see mine clearly when I pulled it, but it had the "stone washed" wear spot like the above pic.

Unread 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #3062
CoveBikr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

have it out... some wear on gear... will post pics... problem is that the gasket is broken between the assembly and the block. now what... can't drive it, opda is out... autoparts store have this?
CoveBikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #3063
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
have it out... some wear on gear... will post pics... problem is that the gasket is broken between the assembly and the block. now what... can't drive it, opda is out... autoparts store have this?
Scrape the remaining gasket off. You can try the local auto parts store. If they don't stock it add a bit of silicone instead. It will leak a little without a seal, but nothing major. You can put in the new one and drive to the parts store. The PN for the gasket is J3181288. If they don't have the gasket they'll have the gasket maker/silicone.

Just did a quick search on AdvanceAuto and found Permatex Gasket Maker. It was around $3-4. It will work. If you plan to remove the OPDA often, get the gasket.
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #3064
CoveBikr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

All went together very easy. Gasket sealer worked like a charm. Still having some chirping but that must be from the fan belt. The gears were not very worn... Will get pics. Cam looked great. Any easy trick to pulling the shaft out of assembly for inspection and pics. Gotta get it in my vice later. All together and started and ran like it was never touched. I feel much better with the new modded unit.

Can't post pics via the Android forum app. I'll get em later at computer.

Last edited by CoveBikr; 04-25-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #3065
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All went together very easy. Gasket sealer worked like a charm. Still having some chirping but that must be from the fan belt. The gears were not very worn... Will get pics. Cam looked great. Any easy trick to pulling the shaft out of assembly for inspection and pics. Gotta get it in my vice later. All together and started and ran like it was never touched. I feel much better with the new modded unit.

Can't post pics via the Android forum app. I'll get em later at computer.
You'll need a 3/16 punch and a hammer. There are no tricks. Line the punch up and whack it until it comes out. You will need to hit it moderately hard.
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #3066
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a source and/or part number for just the OPDA drive gear? I've looked at Rock Auto and Quadratec so far, no listing.

Also looked at NAPA online, no luck
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #3067
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Does anyone have a source and/or part number for just the OPDA drive gear? I've looked at Rock Auto and Quadratec so far, no listing.

Also looked at NAPA online, no luck
I'm pretty sure this is it. Rubi4MyMrs can confirm. He's done the swap. Or you can call Crown.

http://www.4wd.com/Distributor-Drive...pn=CRO83504635
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #3068
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Crown makes one that I used & works well.

Crown doesn't sell direct to the public, though. I found it at 4 Wheel Parts for about $23 http://www.4wd.com/Distributor-Drive...pn=CRO83504635

83504635 Distributor Gear (2.5L, 4.0L)

Here is my write up as some steps need to be taken. Lope just reported on this thread a day or two ago on his experience with the gear as well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...l#post12053245
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #3069
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got my gear here http://www.jeep4x4center.com/distrib...-83504635.html
as another option for you.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #3070
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Rubi.
I just found a gear at Morris 4 x 4 for these models/years: 1987-2002 Jeep 2.5L (150) I4 Engine Jeep 4.0L (242) I6 Engine
looks like the same part number and about the same price.
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #3071
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
I got my gear here http://www.jeep4x4center.com/distrib...-83504635.html
as another option for you.
Funny, lope.
Looks like I just cross posted...and I wasn't even dressed for that!!
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #3072
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks, Rubi.
I just found a gear at Morris 4 x 4 for these models/years: 1987-2002 Jeep 2.5L (150) I4 Engine Jeep 4.0L (242) I6 Engine
looks like the same part number and about the same price.
Despite the years quoted, it works for our '05 & '06s. Good to support Morris since they are the ones that have the FSMs & parts manuals shown in Lope's sig. I used 4WD because there is one local to me & nice to save the shipping.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #3073
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Funny, lope.
Looks like I just cross posted...and I wasn't even dressed for that!!
With your handle, I wonder if you're dressed at all
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #3074
stripperguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
With your handle, I wonder if you're dressed at all
Ha....That stripperguy username always gets lots of attention.
It's actually a carryover from other forums, specifically, I build canoes. Cedar strip canoes, also known simply as "strippers", and I have been seen so many times with these boats that people say "Hey, there's that stripper guy again".

Oh, and I did some side jobs in my college years that I shouldn't talk about here!

But besides all that, I have received a damaged OPDA courtesy of whatnow.
I have disassembled it and measured some key dimensions. It seems there is an easy way to permanently fix the upper bushing issue that still uses the OEM components or at least most of them. Once I get all the design drawings complete, I'll post the results here...
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #3075
CoveBikr
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OPDA pulled and really doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. Cam gear looks very good. Things are a bit quieter with the modded OPDA, but i am still getting something that sounds a bit like laughing monkey. maybe it is something in the serpentine belt, tried tracking it down but no luck yet. more time will be spent this weekend. here are a couple pics. ill get shaft pics soon.

HIGH RES PICS HERE

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.