2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 203 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #3031
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This thread makes me paranoid. I have almost 45k on my 06 and haven't had a problem. Is this something that happens to every 05-06 or is it just certain ones? Should I be worried about it even if the laughing monkey hasn't happened? And if so should I take steps to prevent it? Seems like a lot of time, work, and money.
I think I may try the 5w-40 diesel motor oil on my next oil change after doing some reading on here. Anyone else seen good results from this?

Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #3032
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169
This thread makes me paranoid. I have almost 45k on my 06 and haven't had a problem. Is this something that happens to every 05-06 or is it just certain ones? Should I be worried about it even if the laughing monkey hasn't happened? And if so should I take steps to prevent it? Seems like a lot of time, work, and money.
I think I may try the 5w-40 diesel motor oil on my next oil change after doing some reading on here. Anyone else seen good results from this?
It happens to many, not most, not all, but many. No need to worry, if you do an inspection of the gears and shaft as described in the first dozen posts here. Laughing monkey doesn't set in slowly; for me, it was just there one morning. Choose one of the mods described, too. Choose a good oil as discussed, as well, not a diesel oil. IMO. Not too much time to handle.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #3033
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
It happens to many, not most, not all, but many. No need to worry, if you do an inspection of the gears and shaft as described in the first dozen posts here. Laughing monkey doesn't set in slowly; for me, it was just there one morning. Choose one of the mods described, too. Choose a good oil as discussed, as well, not a diesel oil. IMO. Not too much time to handle.
===========
Flying_bosen is correct.
You will never know if you have an opda issue until you pull the thing and look.
I saw one rig with trashed OPDA at 8500 miles and mine at 18k was perfect. If you read the first page you should note that the opda will be bad with no laughing monkey. There is very little or in my case no expense for the Fog mod. I just found the stuff required in my collection of auto repair items. The local Ace hardware store has the necessary tools. Please re read the oil recommendations. 10w30 Valvoline VR1 is my recommendation for you. If not in stock at your local store have them order it. Or get it cheaper off the Internet. If you do your own research on oils you can find the zink content of various oils. Choose one with the correct viscosity and around 1400ppm of zink.
PaulW
pwmac is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #3034
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
chevy, pick a nice day, review the TDC video or the sharpie video on the first page. Check it first. Some have no problems and some do. I won't get into most/all/many since we don't know, but let's just say there are enough incidents to warrant a 3000 post thread where you rarely hear anything from other model years.

Chances are you will have wear. If so it looks like modifying the existing OPDA or starting over with a new OPDA and modifying are your options.

The oil cup or oil bath design are relatively easy to complete and will offer substantial improvement over the grease design.

Also to clarify, Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Truck Diesel is a mixed fleet oil suitable for gasoline and diesel vehicles. It is not a traditional diesel oil. I've been using it for over a year with no problems. That or VR1 are the most popular oil, however there are some Shell Rotella brands that are suitable too.

The first page will have current info, videos, pics, and a summary of a lot of the stuff we've discussed over all these pages.

It's good to be concerned about it. I was completely freaked when I found out (granted I had laughing monkey), but over times I've realized it's very manageable it you take easy proactive steps.
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #3035
aballas
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I keep seeing this over and over and like chevy2169 I'm paranoid. I'm right in the date range 2005 TJ (12/2004 build date.)

My TJ has 82000 miles on it, and I'm almost scared to pull the OPDA and look. It's running fine. I don't want to screw up a good thing, but I feel like I'm driving a time bomb.
aballas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #3036
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aballas View Post
I keep seeing this over and over and like chevy2169 I'm paranoid. I'm right in the date range 2005 TJ (12/2004 build date.)

My TJ has 82000 miles on it, and I'm almost scared to pull the OPDA and look. It's running fine. I don't want to screw up a good thing, but I feel like I'm driving a time bomb.
It will take 20 minutes to check and then you'll know. All the info is on the first page.
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #3037
Fingers302
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aballas View Post

That's like saying youre worried you may have cancer and not getting tested because you feel fine. Just pull it and see. Then you can fix it or rest easy. Either way, its all for the best.

"You can have things, or you can have kids, but you cant have kids and things because they will rat your sh*t!"

06 LJ Rubicon, OME HD springs, 2" spacers front, 1.5" spacer rear, Bilstein 5100s, Currie Anti-Rock on front, Currie control arms, 315/75 Coopers, UFC Ultra Clearance TT and Engine skids, in aluminum of course ;), bumpers and winch....Oh, and a pool ball shifter. That's good for at least 5 more hp....at the crank at least.

Support your local chapter of the Nam Knights Motorcycle Club

[QUOTE=sanmy1412;14062467]
I got home late last night and was just playing with it a bit .... took it out and it was noticeably stiffer ... my hand actually got tired from the effort[/QUOTE]
Fingers302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #3038
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers302

That's like saying youre worried you may have cancer and not getting tested because you feel fine. Just pull it and see. Then you can fix it or rest easy. Either way, its all for the best.
I've said in the past that it's like your jeep has herpes and needs treatment to prevent an control outbreaks, but cancer is far better. It runs in the family, you have genetic predisposition for it, the cause of onset is a mystery, it's completely treatable if diagnosed in time, and will spread and destroy your insides if you ignore it or refuse to to admit it can happen to you, too.

My jeep had to have a cam transplant because I ignored the symptoms and thought it was just a cold; now after a very expensive surgery, she's in complete remission and gets regular checkups and preventative treatments to be certain it stays in remission.

Be a loving partner and play doctor with your gal once in a while.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #3039
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
It will take 20 minutes to check and then you'll know. All the info is on the first page.
I'm going to pull it right now and take a look. If there is no scoring or damage to the shaft should I still consider doing a mod?
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #3040
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm going to pull it right now and take a look. If there is no scoring or damage to the shaft should I still consider doing a mod?
Yes.

― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

Unread 04-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #3041
Fingers302
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Again, why would you not mod it? There is no way lubrication can get to the upper bushing. Drill it, put a little tiny oil cup on there, and squirt a couple of drops of oil in every oil change. I'm sure Willydigger could help. He did mine. Ask him if you could ship him a new one for him to mod for you. Grease fitting or oil cup - how could this not be a good idea? Its great (and cheap) insurance.

"You can have things, or you can have kids, but you cant have kids and things because they will rat your sh*t!"

06 LJ Rubicon, OME HD springs, 2" spacers front, 1.5" spacer rear, Bilstein 5100s, Currie Anti-Rock on front, Currie control arms, 315/75 Coopers, UFC Ultra Clearance TT and Engine skids, in aluminum of course ;), bumpers and winch....Oh, and a pool ball shifter. That's good for at least 5 more hp....at the crank at least.

Support your local chapter of the Nam Knights Motorcycle Club

[QUOTE=sanmy1412;14062467]
I got home late last night and was just playing with it a bit .... took it out and it was noticeably stiffer ... my hand actually got tired from the effort[/QUOTE]
Fingers302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #3042
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep won't start. Everything went back together correctly. Marks were lined up adn everything. Turns over, just won't start.
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #3043
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeep won't start. Everything went back together correctly. Marks were lined up adn everything. Turns over, just won't start.
Did you plug the wires to the sensor back in? Ask me how I know this can happen!
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #3044
msu33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers302 View Post
Again, why would you not mod it? There is no way lubrication can get to the upper bushing. Drill it, put a little tiny oil cup on there, and squirt a couple of drops of oil in every oil change. I'm sure Willydigger could help. He did mine. Ask him if you could ship him a new one for him to mod for you. Grease fitting or oil cup - how could this not be a good idea? Its great (and cheap) insurance.
Yep! I sent Willydigger a new OPDA, and he had the mod complete and ready to ship the same day he received it.
msu33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #3045
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
Did you plug the wires to the sensor back in? Ask me how I know this can happen!
Yes. It wants to start just wont stay on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.