2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #16
Tryer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mr. Moderator

Can we get a sticky on this thread, and locked, before the thread gets too big with questions.

Tryer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #17
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryer View Post
Mr. Moderator

Can we get a sticky on this thread, and locked, before the thread gets too big with questions.
Excellent work combining the major meat of the other threads into this post. Nice work Willydigger.

I'd agree with a sticky, and the deletion of all posts not from willydigger or Fog contributing to this thread (including mine) to keep it clear and clutter free. I don't even look at the other threads anymore as there's just too much crap. This is clean with everything you need. another vote for "sticky" use.

Again Great work to Willydigger for making THIS thread. Of course, great work to Fog and the rest for the other contrubutions and work in the other threads.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A sticky would be nice. Locked is another issue. I think questions are important and should be allowed. The point of this thread compared to the camshaft thread, is all the important info will be in the beginning for reference. This way when you need some info you don't have to hunt through a hundred pages to find it.

It will take some time on my part, but we're all in this together. I don't mind helping out. Maybe we can get it moved to the write-up section so I can get a sticker out of it.
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #19
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great job dude! The "Whats this and why is it so Angry" thread was mine. I really wish you guys would have had all this info when I was figuring out how to swap mine out. What I didnt see earlier was the lifter damage. Ive got a nice tick and Im wondering if its a lifter due to the OPDA problem...

Has any additional effort been put in to convincing GM that this is a legit problem? I would imagine if so that no ones really got anywhere with it.
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Updated Removal, Dissection, Oil/Grease.
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

OK, so, I know we can all one at a time call and complain to GM but those complaints often fall on deaf ears. And thats assuming theyre actually willing to acknowledge there is a problem. Then, there are petitions, which are completely useless. So, is there a way to legitimatize the volume of actual problems to the point that GM would acknowledge it?
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #22
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can only wish that Jeep was a part of GM so the quality would be higher. Sadly Jeep is ran by Chrysler not GM which means all complaints will fall on deaf ears.

Just do a little googleing about Chrysler and their record with ignoring recalls even on stuff like seat belts and such. Your more than welcome to try but your not going to get the time of day from Daimler Chrysler.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #23
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
I can only wish that Jeep was a part of GM so the quality would be higher. Sadly Jeep is ran by Chrysler not GM which means all complaints will fall on deaf ears.

Just do a little googleing about Chrysler and their record with ignoring recalls even on stuff like seat belts and such. Your more than welcome to try but your not going to get the time of day from Daimler Chrysler.

FOG
Woops, I knew that, Ive been reading about GM all day. Got GM on the mind apparently.
Unread 12-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #24
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

hmmm...wonder what about it is patented. Seems like someone could change the design enough to be no longer covered under the patent.

I guess i'm going to buy a new one and make these changes. HUGE thanks to willy for making this thread.
Unread 12-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Updated Dissection to include Theoretical Drawings of Design.

Updated Modification to include drawings of when to place the hole in the bushing.
Unread 12-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #26
smittycm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Forgive me if this was addressed already. I've read through this thread twice now, but I may have missed it.

If we check for damage to the OPDA and find some, then you are recommending a new OPDA. Are you saying to make the mentioned modifications to the new OPDA then? Wouldn't a new OPDA address the issue without having to make the mods?

Reason I ask is that the TSB stated that approx. 16000 engines may experience the problem. So that tells me that there was a change made at some point. Since the problem seems to be with the OPDA itself, then doesn't that mean the OPDA was "fixed" by Chrysler, and a new one wouldn't have the same issue? If all OPDA's were made the exact same for 05-06, then why are only 16,000 engines affected by the issue?

Is there a date range, or some other way to identify if our engine may be affected by this issue, other than pulling the OPDA (which I plan on doing anyways for some peace of mind). My Jeep has about 80,000 miles on it. I'm just curious if I need to get out there and address this right now, or if I can wait until I "get around to it".

I appreciate the OP taking the time to compile all this information. I started reading through the other threads that talked to this issue, but they were just so huge and there was far too much back and forth. It was hard for a new guy like me to try to filter through all the excess and get to the meat of the problem/solution. Thanks!

r/s

Chris
2005 Jeep TJ Sport
smittycm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #27
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

can we get sticky list of all the zddp levles of the best oils to use?

how much zddp is too much? i see some racing oils with levels in the 1750 range.

thx for all your help!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #28
TJXTWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
can we get sticky list of all the zddp levles of the best oils to use?

how much zddp is too much? i see some racing oils with levels in the 1750 range.

thx for all your help!
We debated this topic on one of the other forums I am on. It is a long thread, but good info in it regarding ZDDP.

Brad Penn Oil and the ZDDP Debate - Club Cobra
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #29
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycm View Post
Forgive me if this was addressed already. I've read through this thread twice now, but I may have missed it.

If we check for damage to the OPDA and find some, then you are recommending a new OPDA. Are you saying to make the mentioned modifications to the new OPDA then? Wouldn't a new OPDA address the issue without having to make the mods?

Reason I ask is that the TSB stated that approx. 16000 engines may experience the problem. So that tells me that there was a change made at some point. Since the problem seems to be with the OPDA itself, then doesn't that mean the OPDA was "fixed" by Chrysler, and a new one wouldn't have the same issue? If all OPDA's were made the exact same for 05-06, then why are only 16,000 engines affected by the issue?

Is there a date range, or some other way to identify if our engine may be affected by this issue, other than pulling the OPDA (which I plan on doing anyways for some peace of mind). My Jeep has about 80,000 miles on it. I'm just curious if I need to get out there and address this right now, or if I can wait until I "get around to it".

I appreciate the OP taking the time to compile all this information. I started reading through the other threads that talked to this issue, but they were just so huge and there was far too much back and forth. It was hard for a new guy like me to try to filter through all the excess and get to the meat of the problem/solution. Thanks!

r/s

Chris
2005 Jeep TJ Sport
There is no date range of affected OPDA's. The TSB may claim that and Chrysler may say it, but don't for a second believe it. All the OPDA's for 2005-06 are the same. There is no difference in revisions. IMO, they all are faulty and they will all fail. There have been reports that some OPDA's do have a way for grease to get in. Maybe that is true, but I have yet to see it. Maybe the difference in oil will prolong it, maybe there is a defect that allows grease past. Putting a hole in the bushing is one way to be absolutely sure. I will update the post shortly with this point.

Look at it now. Some last a while (mine lasted 60K) some blow up at 15K. Some give warning (mine squeaked) and some surprise you with a drop in oil pressure and a new motor. It takes 20 minutes to pull it. If you have the wear, buy a new one and make the mod. If you don't have the wear, take a picture so I can post it.
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #30
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice write up. Where were you last year when I had to figure this out on my own?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.