2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 198 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #2956
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Thanks for the TDC guidance Bob. How about doing a video of the process for the first page?
Will do when I get the wife here. I need two hands!

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #2957
RANDELLA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2005 lj @ 71009 miles

Thanks for putting this great post together - my local dealership wanted $185 for the part, I pulled it off and for $8 ( flush grease fittings from Grainger ) i'm done. I'll install when I get home from work today and ops check.
RANDELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #2958
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDELLA
Thanks for putting this great post together - my local dealership wanted $185 for the part, I pulled it off and for $8 ( flush grease fittings from Grainger ) i'm done. I'll install when I get home from work today and ops check.
Could you post pics and/a more detailed description? Are you saying you added some sort of grease fitting to the OPDA?
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #2959
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Could you post pics and/a more detailed description? Are you saying you added some sort of grease fitting to the OPDA?
I think he added a zerk fitting. A flush style like I used for mine. If you already have the tools, that's really the only "odd" part. You can use a screw for the grub and if you're not concerned with grease type (something I advise against) you can add Napa grease easily enough. Depending on budget and skill level it's relatively easy. Unless you go the Bigbob route and re-engineer the entire system!

Most people don't have the skill or tools or confidence. The thread can help to a point, but I can relate to those who see the engine and step back saying no way. I was like that and fortunate enough to stumble into a job where I could screw up a lot of stuff learning.
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #2960
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Thanks for the TDC guidance Bob. How about doing a video of the process for the first page?
Here is the video.

http://youtu.be/McrtZ6ptSWY
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #2961
czechsky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Man, I cannot thank you enough for this and everyone else who has saved me on this issue! Don't know what I would have done without this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Here is the video.

czechsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #2962
czechsky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

One quick question- sorry for my lameness... since I have an automatic, do I still put it in neutral and how much harder harder might it be to crank it?
czechsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #2963
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Here is the video.

Great Job Gorilla Bob!

First Page bound!

EDIT: Added to the removal section at the bottom. Great teamwork!
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #2964
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job on the video Bob.

You mentioned when re-installing, to line the holes up in the center of the slack. I don't know if it makes any difference (as long as it's not throwing codes), but my thinking is, when the engine is running, the wheel will be on the counter-clockwise-most (new word) position of the slack. So, I've always tried to line up the holes with the wheel rotated all the way counter-clockwise when re-installing. As long as the engine is at TDC, we're not talking but a hair's breadth between your way and mine so either should work fine. Just thought I'd mention how I do it and again, nice video.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #2965
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsky View Post
One quick question- sorry for my lameness... since I have an automatic, do I still put it in neutral and how much harder harder might it be to crank it?
Just leave it in park, neutral is only mandatory for manual transmissions.

I doubt you could tell the difference between an auto and a manual in terms of effort to turn the engine over with a wrench, if that's what your asking.
CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #2966
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
Nice job on the video Bob.

You mentioned when re-installing, to line the holes up in the center of the slack. I don't know if it makes any difference (as long as it's not throwing codes), but my thinking is, when the engine is running, the wheel will be on the counter-clockwise-most (new word) position of the slack. So, I've always tried to line up the holes with the wheel rotated all the way counter-clockwise when re-installing. As long as the engine is at TDC, we're not talking but a hair's breadth between your way and mine so either should work fine. Just thought I'd mention how I do it and again, nice video.
Yeah, it's pretty much splitting hairs. But you are right, the wheel will be at the furthest CCW (CCWM) position.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #2967
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsky View Post
Man, I cannot thank you enough for this and everyone else who has saved me on this issue! Don't know what I would have done without this thread.

I think someone said Tee-Shirts will be made up after post 3,000.

The Laughing Monkey shirt will be popular.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 04-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #2968
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd buy one!

Unread 04-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #2969
Bigbob

Hey, somebody click on my YouTube link please and let me know if it has sound. For some reason I have no sound on it for one reason or the other. Not even a sound volume icon deal. I do with other videos, but not with this one or any of my other You Tube videos.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 04-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #2970
Bigbob

Never mind, got it
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.