2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 197 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #2941
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRubicon View Post
Oil in sensor housing,

BTW I defeated the bottom seal in mine and ran it like that for 50 miles or so and I had a tiny bit of oil at the top like that. Probably less.

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #2942
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I finally got my new OPDA modded and installed, it all went smoothly thanks to the instructions in this thread. But I had something odd happen...

... I reved the engine up and could see oil coming from the top of the bushing.

Has anybody else seen this? I was a little concerned that oil wouldn't reach the top of the bushing but I guess that's not a problem now.
I assume that the oil will reach a "Happy Level" on it's own and as long as there is a little oil in the bottom of the oil cup all is well.
This is completely normal. I actually like it since you know that upper bushing is getting complete lubrication.

That's a real good looking oil cup too. Good job.
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #2943
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do you guys get Check Engine lights when the unit is malfunctioning? What code is it throwing if so?
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #2944
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
Do you guys get Check Engine lights when the unit is malfunctioning?
Not I.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]ďLiberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.Ē
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #2945
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
Do you guys get Check Engine lights when the unit is malfunctioning? What code is it throwing if so?
Sometimes you will if it's installed a hair off or if you manage to wear down the steel without binding. Mine didn't throw a code. It had laughing monkey as my indicator. Several members have reported having a code due to improper install and a small few have reported a code prior to failure.
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #2946
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll monitor the oil in the sensor housing and if it starts making a mess I'll plug the housing and seal the cover.
CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #2947
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll monitor the oil in the sensor housing and if it starts making a mess I'll plug the housing and seal the cover.
Rubi4MyMrs will have more input, but I've had mine for about 5K. It is a little dribble no more. It will equalize. There is no need to over-fill it. A little lube goes a long way.
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #2948
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's just it, I don't think the cup is at the level of the top of the bushing. Take a look at the pictures I just posted. It looks like the cup is quite a bit lower than the top of the bushing. Hence my concern about oil not making up to the top of the bushing.
My set up is like yours & what I found was the oil dropped for about 2 fills then started going over the top bushing. That is when I quit adding oil & the cup stayed at about Ĺ full & the oil pretty much stopped overflowing the bushing. I figure the first oil was filling the reservoir. Now either the level is low enough to stop the overflow or the oil level is down to the level of the hole in the bushing & oil isnít flowing into the bushing any more. Either way Iím getting little to no overflow now. Iím not that concerned with having a constant flow of oil to the bushing. It doesnít turn that fast or have much or a load on the bushing. When I took is apart & inspected it there was a definite oil film on the shaft so Iím satisfied.

I think Willy had the same experience as far as having to add oil a couple time before everything stabilized. He is right a little goes a long way.

Lope, whatís the update on yours?
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #2949
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I should also add that the 2nd time I installed it I started the engine with the cap off & as the oil in the cup slowly dropped I added oil until it started overflowing the bushing. Then stopped adding. So far very little oil in the in the bottom & the cup stays about 1/2 full. In the beginning I was constantly checking but now I pretty much forget about it.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #2950
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I should also add that the 2nd time I installed it I started the engine with the cap off & as the oil in the cup slowly dropped I added oil until it started overflowing the bushing. Then stopped adding. So far very little oil in the in the bottom & the cup stays about 1/2 full. In the beginning I was constantly checking but now I pretty much forget about it.
I don't check it any more either. Every oil change, while I'm in there I'll peek and add a little if needed.
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #2951
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Lope, whatís the update on yours?
It's due an oil change and so I planned to pull it and at least see how that new gear looks. I'll let you know when I do.

I've basically had the same attitude as you guys as far as the oil level. Once I verified oil was going over the bushing, I pretty much forgot about it. Planned to give it a couple of drops when I change the oil, if everything looks ok.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #2952
czechsky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am getting ready to install a modded OPDA done by Willydigger (thanks again WD) and stumbled upon this comment from BigBob as I was mulling through the thread again.
Mine is throwing code to replace the cam postiion sensor. I have not pulled the orig one out, and did not just replace the sensor either- thanks to this thread, I know that replacing with a modded unit is the way to go. So, does anybody know what extra concerns/precautions I need need to take since the code is present?

\QUOTE=Bigbob;13033950]That is one way to do it. I much prefer to line up the timing holes in the OPDA. If the engine was running okay with no codes when you go to replace the unit just turn the engine over so the holes line up and you are good to go. A 3/4" socket and 1/2" drive ratchet makes simple work of this by turning at the crank pulley. Just make sure the trans is in neutral and turn the engine clockwise. I've done this 10 times or so now and it is easier than marking the wheel.[/QUOTE]
czechsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #2953
Bigbob

If it's running but kicking a code up you really want to use the holes to line things up and get it back in precisly in the same spot. Then disconnect the battery to reset the code and see what happens. You may need to get it scanned or whatever they do at the dealer.

I am guessing if you have a really badly worn pinion or/and cam gear it could throw it of enought to throw a code, not sure.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #2954
czechsky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks BigBob. I will try exactly that... with my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
If it's running but kicking a code up you really want to use the holes to line things up and get it back in precisly in the same spot. Then disconnect the battery to reset the code and see what happens. You may need to get it scanned or whatever they do at the dealer.

I am guessing if you have a really badly worn pinion or/and cam gear it could throw it of enought to throw a code, not sure.
czechsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #2955
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post

Thanks for the TDC guidance Bob. How about doing a video of the process for the first page?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.