2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 191 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #2851
CoRubicon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Where are you guys getting Valvoline VR one, I can't find it at my local places.

CoRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #2852
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got mine at O'Reilly's. They had to order 10-30 from the local warehouse. They had it in a day or two.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #2853
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Carquest orders mine special for me. Most parts retailers can get it for you in a couple of days or less. I haven't found any deals online worth paying the shipping...
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #2854
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynG View Post
I want to address my ODPA but I do not think I fully understand which route is better. Fog mod or oil bath? Do I mod my existing ODPA with normal wear or get a new one?
I wouldn't recommend modding an old one unless the old one has low miles or the old one has a normal wear pattern. I don't recall if you posted pics of your gear wear, but I'll assume you're comfortable enough that the old one is still in good condition.

Regarding the oil bath vs. FogMod (I'll assume both oil cup version or grease), the oil bath is likely cheaper and messier. My preferred method knowing what I know is the oil cup. It is relatively simple and uses a small supply of oil that is pushed out the top bushing (not recirculated). A squirt at each oil change is all it takes.

I believe all the alternate methods are good and some are personal preference. There are a few that require a little extra effort and skill, but they all address the potential for binding.

Regarding the ticking OPDA, like flying_bosun said, I can't think of anything in/on the OPDA that could cause a tick. I think it's vibration from the engine. Typically ticks involve an exhaust leak or lifters. I also get a tick after each oil change and occasionally at start up. A quick restart and it's gone.
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #2855
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I wouldn't recommend modding an old one unless the old one has low miles or the old one has a normal wear pattern.
What's your thinking there?
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #2856
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Regarding the ticking OPDA, like flying_bosun said, I can't think of anything in/on the OPDA that could cause a tick.
My friend's '06 Anniversary edition ticked on startup until I took it apart and greased the OPDA shaft. After that, it was quiet until he got the cam & ODPA replaced under his certified used car warranty (excessive cam gear/OPDA gear wear).
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #2857
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
What's your thinking there?
Nothing more than basic paranoia. I've worked on a couple OPDA's will around 30K that already had damage and I've read reports at 18K. Since the price point of a new one is the reasonable realm ($120 vs. $250), better safe than sorry. If you are comfortable that it is good enough, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77
My friend's '06 Anniversary edition ticked on startup until I took it apart and greased the OPDA shaft. After that, it was quiet until he got the cam & ODPA replaced under his certified used car warranty (excessive cam gear/OPDA gear wear).
You're pretty educated on the OPDA and cam. What do think caused the noise?
Unread 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #2858
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure if anyone has gone over this before, but if I was to run a zddp additive in conventional oil, what are my choices? I developed a Rear Main Seal leak since I started using Mobil 1 High Mileage and want to switch back from the synthetic to see if it helps before I get involved in replacing the RMS.

Thanks
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #2859
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit View Post
Not sure if anyone has gone over this before, but if I was to run a zddp additive in conventional oil, what are my choices? I developed a Rear Main Seal leak since I started using Mobil 1 High Mileage and want to switch back from the synthetic to see if it helps before I get involved in replacing the RMS.

Thanks
It should be in the Oils and Grease section of the first page. ZDDPlus. I'm pretty sure JeepScrap uses it with good results. My RMS is wet. I'm ignoring it. In fact my RMS, front right axle, rear right axle, and output shaft all leak. Along with the tick, they're all a jeep thing.
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #2860
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Valvoline VR1 "racing oil" comes in both conventional & synthetic. The high zddp content is in the conventional oil. It is the one in the silver container. From their site:http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...ng-motor-oil/6

VR1 Racing Oil (VR1) The #1 selling racing motor oil. High zinc provides race-level protection for any vehicle.
  • High zinc/phosphorus provides extreme wear protection, including flat tappet applications
  • Additional friction modifiers to help deliver maximum horsepower
  • Enhanced anti-foam system protects engine during extreme stress
  • Compatible with gasoline or alcohol fuels
  • Available through leading auto parts retailers
There are different opinions on this but I believe that having the zddp formulated into the oil is better than adding it to the oil.
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #2861
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
There are different opinions on this but I believe that having the zddp formulated into the oil is better than adding it to the oil.
I agree.
Unread 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #2862
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger

It should be in the Oils and Grease section of the first page. ZDDPlus. I'm pretty sure JeepScrap uses it with good results. My RMS is wet. I'm ignoring it. In fact my RMS, front right axle, rear right axle, and output shaft all leak. Along with the tick, they're all a jeep thing.
Yup...I run Mobil 1 high mileage with a bottle of zddp Plus and have no gear wear issues at all. It is compatible with conventional and synthetic oil. Not sure why a lot of guys here go crazy hunting for certain oils when they can just buy zddp Plus and be done with it. I order it by the 3 pack off Eastwood.com. Also, my jeep has had synthetic since it was born and I still don't have a RMS leak at 40k(knock wood). I'm sure it will happen eventually though...it is a jeep.
Unread 03-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #2863
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
my jeep has had synthetic since it was born and I still don't have a RMS leak at 40k(knock wood). I'm sure it will happen eventually though...it is a jeep.
My guess is that when you run dino the RMS swells a tad. When you switch to syn. it shrinks back to normal.

When you start off with syn. it never swells to begin with.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #2864
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
My guess is that when you run dino the RMS swells a tad. When you switch to syn. it shrinks back to normal.

When you start off with syn. it never swells to begin with.
That was a big issue back when synthetics first hit the market with Mobil 1. Prior to that everything was conventional & a lot of complaints were leaks & more oil consumption when switching. Not sure that was proven but I do remember the issues. Most at the time blamed it on the lower viscosity of synthetics.
Unread 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #2865
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

It's all bs. It's all "dino" oil. Additives can ruin seals and viscosities can cause other issues, but synthetic oil is just really good regular oil at its base.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.