2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 176 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #2626
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
Guys...GOOD NEWS FINALLY! I just recieved a response from Crown this morning regarding my reminder note I dropped them yesterday...

"Thanks for the update, we have a solution and it will be available soon"
The Bengals are going to the Superbowl soon too. I'll believe it when I see it. Then I'll need I little discussion on why theirs is the fix.

Unread 01-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #2627
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Come on Willy lets try to be hopeful that our opda problems will be cured in 2012! Its about that time.
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #2628
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Seems kinda foolish to me. If there is no cam gear wear, spend $120 for a new opda instead of $1300 and it will probably last longer then the extended warranty. Just keep on top of it. Even if your method of thinking is "hey, I'll get a cam job on Chrysler", the same crappy opda is going back in.
I completely agree. I don't see the logic in waiting for it to fail. Especially with a dealership and corporation that are not consistently supportive of the failures. You may last another 30K while your cam gear is getting chewed up. I was still under warranty when I did my work and I don't regret it. My only regret was going to the dealership in the first place.
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #2629
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Come on Willy lets try to be hopeful that our opda problems will be cured in 2012! Its about that time.
I support your optimism.

I don't fault Crown. I think they jumped on the "Hope" bandwagon a little early though. I would expect that it would take time since it provides some reasonable expectation of analysis and testing. If they would have had something last year I would have been even more skeptical.

Even without Crown I'm happy with the FogMod and even more so with the oil cup. Even if they come up with something I would stick with the FogMod until I see conclusive Crown feedback or FogMod failure.
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #2630
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
The Bengals are going to the Superbowl soon too. I'll believe it when I see it. Then I'll need I little discussion on why theirs is the fix.
The Saints are going to the Superbowl lol....

Based on what I've seen so far with the modded unit I received from Willydigger and a good quality oil with proper levels of ZDDP. My OPDA and cam will live longer than the rest of the internals of my motor. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I'm pretty confident mine won't be binding and taking out the cam
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #2631
RockyMnt1

Have you looked at the back of the M1 TDT 5w-40 oil bottle lately? I couldn't find the ACEA A3 rating listed. Maybe there is an updated standard..
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #2632
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I always switch back and forth between Mobil 1 TDT and Valvoline VR1....can't ever decide which is better
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #2633
dundy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hey All,

We are still working on this. I have gotten a complete sample (sitting ~3 feet from me) but I failed it. We are waiting for another sample to arrive to check it before approving it.

Also, As said on the first page of this thread, please don't use our contact us portion of our website to let us know that you need this done. We want it done as much as all of you do. If you do have a concern or request, PM me.

Thanks,
Adam D.
Crown Automotive Technical Service Representative
dundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #2634
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet, maybe there is hope yet.
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #2635
Doty152
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundy View Post
Hey All,

We are still working on this. I have gotten a complete sample (sitting ~3 feet from me) but I failed it. We are waiting for another sample to arrive to check it before approving it.

Also, As said on the first page of this thread, please don't use our contact us portion of our website to let us know that you need this done. We want it done as much as all of you do. If you do have a concern or request, PM me.

Thanks,
Adam D.
You sir, a Godsend, assuming you guys get it done
But it do.

Alcohol may be mans worst enemy, but the Bible says to love your enemy.

┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ
Doty152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #2636
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundy
Hey All,

Thanks,
Adam D.
If you don't want us contacting you via the website, periodically pop on here and give us some updates so we don't think you guys forgot about us. As you can see we are desperately seeking a solution and are poking at the aftermarket world to try and get one after getting jerked around by Chrysler.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #2637
ajmadic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to install a new opda, but after reading the last few posts.. I might hold off for a bit longer.
ajmadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #2638
turtle05LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

"ajmadic: I was going to install a new opda, but after reading the last few posts.. I might hold off for a bit longer."

Why would you hold off? Even a temporary fix to stave off comlpete engine failure while waiting for a possible fix seems like the only logical solution. I was in the same boat and was going to try to fight the dealership here in Rapid City to try to fix it but realized I was putting myself in jeapordy for being stranded on the side of the road with a Jeep in need of a new engine?
turtle05LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #2639
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

i still dont understand how one would have complete engine faliure unless the gear is so worn it breaks even then id think it would be throwing codes from having so much play, as long as that gear is spinning your gonna have oil pressure.
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #2640
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
i still dont understand how one would have complete engine faliure unless the gear is so worn it breaks even then id think it would be throwing codes from having so much play, as long as that gear is spinning your gonna have oil pressure.
When the shaft binds up enough to cause the damage seen here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op...l#post12539961 there is no code to warn you. Note that the gear teeth are not worn significantly. The only time you MIGHT get a code is if the gear teeth get thin enough to cause the wheel to retard enough to throw a code. Remember there are 2 different issues affecting these units (some have both). Shaft binding & excessive gear wear. Binding can cause excessive gear wear or gear failure but some (mine included) have excessive & uneven wear without any binding issue.

Here is another gear failure story that reinforces the idea of checking yours http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/p0...l#post11534217
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.