2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 171 - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2551 of 5534 Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony42 View Post
Hi all have an 05 X with 105,000 miles on it. I'm the second owner. I was just wondering if there is a way I could tell if my opda has been replaced from the original one.
In the first 10-12 post there's mention that there are at least two distinct numerical versions of the OPDA (rev B and Rev E, if I recall correctly), but no one has discerned any real difference between the two, I'm not sure when rev E started being installed as OEM, and even if you have one or the other, I don't think it would assure that it was your engine's first or tenth. So no, I don't believe there is any way without records to determine if it's been replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 5534 Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 PM
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Update: Here's pics of all three OPDA gears that have been in my rig to date.

This gear is from the original OPDA with 60K miles after it failed completely, toasting the cam

Here's the second one that ran with the bad cam for about 2K miles

and the new one with new cam broken in using Valvoline VR1 (10w-30) and Lucas break-in additive for the initial 500 miles break-in and VR1 for the next 3k (3500 miles total with new cam)

The excessive wear is obvious in both the first and second, but the third shows nothing more than a shiny polished surface where it mates with the cam. There is (almost) zero wear on the new OPDA gear and not even a polished appearance to the cam gear, which is very encouraging.

Quote:
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
post #2553 of 5534 Old 12-27-2011, 12:56 PM
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good news!! Looks like proper oil and break in are the answer ( of course with a properly lubed OPDA ).

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
2005 TJ X (daily driver)

post #2554 of 5534 Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

how is the first one failed completely? i see the extreme wear marks but does it just allow to much play for the sensor?
post #2555 of 5534 Old 12-27-2011, 02:58 PM
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
how is the first one failed completely? i see the extreme wear marks but does it just allow to much play for the sensor?
My brief story is posted earlier in the thread with more pics and I think Willydigger linked them on pg 1, but the real problem is the galling of the shaft at the upper bushing which prevents its rotating freely and causes extensive damage to the cam gear.

Quote:
― Ron Paul
post #2556 of 5534 Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Is there a way to Order just the gear? I feel this has been asked before
post #2557 of 5534 Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 AM
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7
Page 1, Section 9.

Quote:
― Ron Paul
post #2558 of 5534 Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM
locosdj
2013 JK Wrangler 

The new one is version E. Note that mine is an 06 with the version E and I had the wear issue on the gear. Only takes 20-30 minutes to inspect, but follow the instructions on this thread. There has been a few reports of other jeeps not having any issues, but it's a good idea to inspect.
post #2559 of 5534 Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
freeman84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have a write up on removing an ODPA from a 2004? Mine has devloped a bad tick and i want to see if this may be the cause.

Rubicon with Clayton, Currie, Poly Performance, Superior, Savvy.....and some others
post #2560 of 5534 Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post
I did the Crown gear & a write up

Crown Automotive (BOTTOM GEAR - WHOLESALE):
Distributor Gear (2.5L, 4.0L) | Crown Automotive Sales
Part #83504635
Crown doesn't sell direct to the public, though. I found it at 4WD Hardware for about $23.

As has been reported, the Crown gear has the (single) hole located in a little different position. I also found it to be too tight to slide onto the shaft more than a very small amount. I “honed” the gear a little be wrapping a strip of emery cloth around the shank of a Phillips head screwdriver & rotating the gear. After several test fits I had it going on snugly. After lining it up with the hole in the shaft I drilled through that hole (using it as a guide) & through the other side of the gear on my drill press. With the gear installed, I measured the end play & found it to be 0.062” Thanks to TJJP77’s help, I tapped the wheel down to where I now have 0.026” endplay.

“Per the document that Chrysler put out for the early '05 vehicles, you can adjust endplay (within reason, of course) by either placing a socket that is larger than the shaft on top of the tone wheel and smacking it with a soft-faced mallet (to reduce endplay) with the bottom of the shaft (the oil pump end) on a firm surface or by carefully chucking the body of the OPDA in a vise and hitting the top of the shaft itself with a mallet to increase endplay.”

As for the end play, I don’t think it is that critical. It needs to be enough that when the aluminum housing expands there is still some clearance & yet not so much that the wheel rises too far from the CPS. I found TJJP77’s post. It is #1197 & says, “The spec (according to the bulletin) is 0.010" to 0.030".

Here is the gear lined up prior to drilling The 2nd hole in the gear.
Attached Thumbnails
P8160211.JPG  
post #2561 of 5534 Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wow, seems quite involved...

I really wish I had held off on installing my new opda onto the old camshaft now that I've decided i'm going to change the camshaft. I've done maybe about 150 miles on the new one... I wonder if it's too late. Getting a 2004 gear will cost almost half as much as getting the 2005/06 + there is the drilling effort. Makes me think maybe I need to get a third OPDA...
post #2562 of 5534 Old 12-28-2011, 02:58 PM
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7

I really wish I had held off on installing my new opda onto the old camshaft now that I've decided i'm going to change the camshaft. I've done maybe about 150 miles on the new one... I wonder if it's too late. Getting a 2004 gear will cost almost half as much as getting the 2005/06 + there is the drilling effort. Makes me think maybe I need to get a third OPDA...
I wouldn't cut corners at this point. When you replace the cam, do the OPDA, too. With that said, I'd also delay installing a new cam unless you have extensive wear on the cam gear (as opposed to the OPDA gear). My cam gear was knife-edged and I convinced Chrysler to cover most of the replacement as "a good will gesture".

Quote:
― Ron Paul
post #2563 of 5534 Old 12-28-2011, 05:02 PM
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

I assume it took the full 100k miles for mine to get to this point:

Considering I'll be driving it maybe 6000 miles a year, I hope I'll be able to hold off for a while until I can afford such a big job without going broke. Based on what is seen here, how much farther do you think I can go? (with the new high-zddp oil in mind)
post #2564 of 5534 Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post

To me it is not as complicated as it may sound. The problem is that the hole in the shaft is not centered about the diameter. That is why the replacement (Crown) gear only has one hole in it. It must be fitted to the individual shaft. The problem I see with re-using a gear (like taking one from a ’04 OPDA) is that the holes (2 of them) are drilled to fit THAT shaft & not yours. The holes are smaller so that may help but when you enlarge them they still must fit the “new” shaft. As you can see from the photo I posted, once you line up the hole in the Crown gear with the one in the shaft, the drill is guided right to the perfect spot on the other side of the gear & drills easily right through. Any gear replacement may require adjusting the end play but that is very easy to do.

If replacing the cam, as stated above, definitely replace the OPDA or at least the gear.
post #2565 of 5534 Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman84 View Post
Anyone have a write up on removing an ODPA from a 2004? Mine has devloped a bad tick and i want to see if this may be the cause.
Go here & on about page 8 http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-se....swf#toolbar=0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.