2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #241
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
The BBB may also be able to pull in the NHSTA who can push for an official recall and fix.
Anyone with this problem should file a complaint at NHTSA themselves. Having your engine die and/or seize driving down the hwy is a safety issue.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Unread 01-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #242
TJXTWO

I used a lawyer to lemon law an excursion about eight years ago. Ford ended up having to pay all legal costs and took the vehicle back. After the way I have been treated by Chrysler I have thought about contacting this guy. This was before I knew about the OPDA issue. I should shoot him an E-Mail and see what he has to say.
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #243
TJXTWO

[QUOTE=jkp;10860027]Anyone with this problem should file a complaint at NHTSA themselves. Having your engine die and/or seize driving down the hwy is a safety issue.

[URL]

We used the safety angle on Ford (loss of power on freeway) and they took the vehicle back very quickly. Before we mentioned it was a safety issue they kept trying to fix it.
03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #244
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJXTWO View Post
I used a lawyer to lemon law an excursion about eight years ago. Ford ended up having to pay all legal costs and took the vehicle back. After the way I have been treated by Chrysler I have thought about contacting this guy. This was before I knew about the OPDA issue. I should shoot him an E-Mail and see what he has to say.
Nice, wouldn't hurt to ask his opinion on the matter.
Unread 01-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #245
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had the OPDA "repair" done today. I stopped in and snapped a couple of pictures.

There was some wear on the cam gear they replaced, not as bad as some I've seen on here, but wear just the same. The OPDA spun like top, no resistance on the shaft.

I picked it up this afternoon, it runs great, no issues. I didn't figure there would be. I had to pay for the "repair" in full ($149.00) and Chrysler is going to reimburse me once I send them of copy the bill and my reciept. They said I wouldn't have to pay anymore than 50%, but didn't rule out full reimbursement.

I don't know what more could have been done at this point, being as how the OPDA units are on major backorder, and even if you get one it's the same faulty product.

I'll stick with the TDT Mobil 1 and hope for the best I guess.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #246
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, the wear on my gear is worse and my dealership said there wasn't anything wrong with the Jeep at all. Just goes to show you the level of ignorance we are dealing with concerning this issue. Hope it works out for you Jeffro. So did they replace the cam gear? Or the entire OPDA?
Unread 01-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #247
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
Wow, the wear on my gear is worse and my dealership said there wasn't anything wrong with the Jeep at all. Just goes to show you the level of ignorance we are dealing with concerning this issue. Hope it works out for you Jeffro. So did they replace the cam gear? Or the entire OPDA?
Just the cam gear.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 01-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #248
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Just the cam gear.
I don't know what's going on here......the more I read the more I'm left wondering. Perhaps the issue isn't just the OPDAs, could be a problem with the cams too.....if that's the case I better start putting some money away.

Some interesting information on this page.

http://www.classicinlines.com/DizzyGear.asp
Unread 01-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #249
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't know what's going on here......the more I read the more I'm left wondering. Perhaps the issue isn't just the OPDAs, could be a problem with the cams too.....if that's the case I better start putting some money away.
Just to be clear it was the cam drive gear, on the OPDA, not the gear in the motor.

Unread 01-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #250
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Just to be clear it was the cam drive gear, on the OPDA, not the gear in the motor.
Okay, sorry I misunderstood you. That makes more sense, that's chrysler's fix for the problem...just keep blowing through gears

Your wear pattern on your OPDA doesn't look bad at all in my opinion compared to what I have seen.
Unread 01-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #251
Slacksuperstar
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So what exactly is the failure rate for the OPDA on the 2006's mine currently has no pressure or noise issues with 50K on the clock I might pull it to check for wear.
Slacksuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #252
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lope, do you have a date as to when they serviced your gear?
I believe it was replaced before it ever left the lot. I checked the service records on Jeep.com and there is no indication it was performed after being purchased by the original owner, so I can only conclude all of the miles on my jeep were put on with the replacement gear (53k).

That was a pretty interesting read you pointed us to Chase. I particularly found this interesting concerning new distributor gear "break in".
(from http://www.classicinlines.com/DizzyGear.asp)
"A distributor gear needs to be broke in, following exactly the same procedures as you would for a rebuilt motor (running the motor at 1500-2000 rpm for twenty minutes). During the distributor gear (or camshaft) break in period provide additional lubrication by coating the gears thoroughly with zinc or moly break-in lubricant. This should be applied to both the cam gear and the distributor gear prior to installation.

Some cam manufacturers recommend installing a new or reconditioned distributor gear whenever the camshaft is replaced. The reason for this is simple. The cam and distributor gear actually seat to one another during the break in period, similar to a cam lobe and lifter. Once this happens, the distributor gear may not seat properly to a new camshaft gear. It may also be beneficial to lap the gears prior to break in, as discussed later in this topic. Never use an old worn gear as this may cause premature failure in short order.

DO NOT use synthetic oils during the distributor gear break-in period. Subsequently, any suitable 30, 40, or multi-viscosity oil (i.e. 10W30) can be used. Always verify gear wear after a break-in period of several hours, looking for proper mesh, tooth alignment, and/or excessive wear. Many gear failures are due to improper (or lack of) distributor gear break in."
Also, it talked about proper end-play being a factor in improper gear wear.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #253
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, they had a lot of interesting points, making me wonder if I should just mod my existing unit???
Unread 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #254
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Some interesting information on this page.

http://www.classicinlines.com/DizzyGear.asp
Very good read. Thanks. Lot of info in the article that I've forgotten over the years.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #255
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

SLACKSUPERSTAR- Check your OPDA soon. My 05 LJ has 50K on it and Mobil 1 for at least 1/2 of that. The tip of the gear tooth is razor sharp. Meaning that the gear is wearing into the back side/non-wear side of the tooth. If for no other reason, check it for the piece of mind. It is easy, Just follow the video.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.