2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 169 - JeepForum.com

 4Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2521 of 5449 Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
rubicon17
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,422
from the oil lab test ive seen and read about, shell rotella t and t6 has around 1200ppm zddp, mobile 1 tdt is very similar. i just switched and am using shell rotella t6 5w40, walmart has it in quarts as well which is a plus. rislone also makes a newer zinc treatment i have seen at oreilys.

rubicon17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2522 of 5449 Old 12-21-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
willydigger
Web Wheeler
 
willydigger's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
from the oil lab test ive seen and read about, shell rotella t and t6 has around 1200ppm zddp, mobile 1 tdt is very similar. i just switched and am using shell rotella t6 5w40, walmart has it in quarts as well which is a plus. rislone also makes a newer zinc treatment i have seen at oreilys.
Do you have a link? I ask because during my early research "old" Rotella had high ZDDP, while new formulas didn't. For Mobil 1, you can reference their website for details.
willydigger is offline  
post #2523 of 5449 Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 PM
ajmadic
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Yes, that is the correct part and you might be able to save a few bucks by going through the site linked in my sig and asking for "jeep club" pricing when you call.

Btw, much of the info you need about the OPDA is in the first 10 or 12 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I think one of those was my review.

Like bosun said most of the meat is on the first page. Don't worry about asking though, sometimes I overlook things.
Awesome, thanks a lot guys!
ajmadic is offline  
post #2524 of 5449 Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 PM
ajmadic
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler
Posts: 164
I def have the ticking, but no laughing monkey yet. I'm going to pull it out and take a look at it either this weekend or next.
ajmadic is offline  
post #2525 of 5449 Old 12-21-2011, 04:18 PM
rubicon17
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,422
willydigger this is the best and most recent ones ive come across first one is t and 2nd is t6.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2330292

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2330040
rubicon17 is offline  
post #2526 of 5449 Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 PM
LJman06
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 233
can this upper bushing be over lubricated? I was thinking of just drilling a hole witha clear tubed resevoir attached to it filled with 5w-30.....better some lubrication than none?

Black LJ
2" BB, 33" KM2's, front stinger, rear exogate tailgate, skids, Uniden CB radio
LJman06 is offline  
post #2527 of 5449 Old 12-22-2011, 01:31 AM
locosdj
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 14
Hey everyone I modified mine to replicate the oil bath design proposed by efm-7. I sealed the lid and both holes with machine screws and RTV. I decided to only drill a single hole from the top of the OPDA to the factory fill reservoir. Replaced my oil with VR-1 and topped the oil bath off at 49,000 miles.

One thing to note is that I installed my new odpa first and put about 20 miles on it before doing the mod. When I pulled the opda there was plenty of oil at the top bushing at last 5-7 eyedrops worth.

Will update everyone at my next oil change.
locosdj is offline  
post #2528 of 5449 Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
willydigger
Web Wheeler
 
willydigger's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
willydigger this is the best and most recent ones ive come across first one is t and 2nd is t6.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2330292

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2330040
Awesome! I'll add these links to the first page for reference. Thanks!
willydigger is offline  
post #2529 of 5449 Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
willydigger
Web Wheeler
 
willydigger's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by locosdj View Post
Hey everyone I modified mine to replicate the oil bath design proposed by efm-7. I sealed the lid and both holes with machine screws and RTV. I decided to only drill a single hole from the top of the OPDA to the factory fill reservoir. Replaced my oil with VR-1 and topped the oil bath off at 49,000 miles.

One thing to note is that I installed my new odpa first and put about 20 miles on it before doing the mod. When I pulled the opda there was plenty of oil at the top bushing at last 5-7 eyedrops worth.

Will update everyone at my next oil change.
Did you clean out the reservoir of factory grease?

There should be no oil on the top bushing with out modification. Unless there is a seal failure no oil can reach the upper bushing. Keep a close eye on your oil "bath" level. If you seal is bad oil will continue to accumulate up.

Recently with the new OPDA's I've seen, there is a small film of oil on the entire shaft. This is different than older models (still 05-06 OPDA's). Not 5-7 droppers worth though.
willydigger is offline  
post #2530 of 5449 Old 12-22-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
willydigger
Web Wheeler
 
willydigger's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJman06 View Post
can this upper bushing be over lubricated? I was thinking of just drilling a hole witha clear tubed resevoir attached to it filled with 5w-30.....better some lubrication than none?
Anything extra will weep out the top. What you're describing sounds like the oil cup design with a different cup, or oil reservoir. I don't think you'll have a problem.

If you are going through the factory reservoir I highly recommend cleaning out the old grease. There's no telling what may result if it blocks or enters the shaft contact area. Those of you who've seen the factory grease can attest that it isn't something you'd want as a contact lubricant.

Regarding efm-7's oil bath design, it should work, however I would recommend cleaning the factory reservoir like he did. You will need to put a hole in it and purge it some how.

Personally I have the resources to install the oil cup, which IMO is cleaner and more user friendly. Although I support efm-7's idea and the idea of a oil bath, I think (and please correct me) his solution was a result of not having easy access to fittings.
willydigger is offline  
post #2531 of 5449 Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Peterpsc
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 353
Is the oil cup, after all the experience here, preferred over the fogmod?
Peterpsc is offline  
post #2532 of 5449 Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
willydigger
Web Wheeler
 
willydigger's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpsc View Post
Is the oil cup, after all the experience here, preferred over the fogmod?
Depends on who you ask. Both will work. The grease is cleaner, but you have the "overhead" of maintaining grease and the question of how much and how often.

The oil cup is a little messy. The oil will seep out the top, but you have good lubrication with no fear of hydraulic load. Initially it's more expensive because you need a few extra fittings, but in the long run there is no grease issue.

My vote currently is the oil cup. I don't know that you need to go out and switch over though. There have been good results with the grease. Pick what you feel comfortable with.

If you are just learning about this problem and need to choose, I would recommend oil cup over all the other alternatives. I love the inventiveness of the variant ideas, but IMO the oil cup is the cleanest and most appealing. Big thanks to Rubi4MyMrs for the concept!
willydigger is offline  
post #2533 of 5449 Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 AM
locosdj
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Did you clean out the reservoir of factory grease?

There should be no oil on the top bushing with out modification. Unless there is a seal failure no oil can reach the upper bushing. Keep a close eye on your oil "bath" level. If you seal is bad oil will continue to accumulate up.

Recently with the new OPDA's I've seen, there is a small film of oil on the entire shaft. This is different than older models (still 05-06 OPDA's). Not 5-7 droppers worth though.
Yes, I cleaned out the factory grease with heat and rinsed with parts cleaner. I also lubbed the shaft with VR-1 prior to installation.

I'll keep an eye on the oil bath level and will re-inspect the shaft in 3,000 and change the bath oil along with uploading pic's for the forum.
locosdj is offline  
post #2534 of 5449 Old 12-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Peterpsc
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 353
You and Fog have done all of us a great service. I've completed the fogmod some time ago but the oil cup design is impressive. Thanks for your response, willydigger.
Peterpsc is offline  
post #2535 of 5449 Old 12-22-2011, 02:53 PM
efm-7
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 89
My design was indeed because I couldn't easily source an oil cup, but I also wanted to recirculate whatever seeped through the top of the bushing.

After installing my OPDA, I squirted some Krown T40 (rust inhibitor) around the screws and fittings so they don't get rusty.
efm-7 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
2005 jeep tj needs help Smith TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 19 03-08-2013 02:49 PM
Jeep Fire - Catastophic Failure tjone2 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 83 07-11-2012 08:01 AM
Help jeep is possessed. electrical failure? btn2020 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 11-22-2009 03:44 AM
Emissions Failure : 89 Jeep HC & CO sports100 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 04-30-2009 10:48 AM
2005 Jeep COLORS????? rem TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 08-21-2004 07:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome