2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 169 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #2521
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

from the oil lab test ive seen and read about, shell rotella t and t6 has around 1200ppm zddp, mobile 1 tdt is very similar. i just switched and am using shell rotella t6 5w40, walmart has it in quarts as well which is a plus. rislone also makes a newer zinc treatment i have seen at oreilys.

Unread 12-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #2522
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
from the oil lab test ive seen and read about, shell rotella t and t6 has around 1200ppm zddp, mobile 1 tdt is very similar. i just switched and am using shell rotella t6 5w40, walmart has it in quarts as well which is a plus. rislone also makes a newer zinc treatment i have seen at oreilys.
Do you have a link? I ask because during my early research "old" Rotella had high ZDDP, while new formulas didn't. For Mobil 1, you can reference their website for details.
Unread 12-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #2523
ajmadic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Yes, that is the correct part and you might be able to save a few bucks by going through the site linked in my sig and asking for "jeep club" pricing when you call.

Btw, much of the info you need about the OPDA is in the first 10 or 12 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I think one of those was my review.

Like bosun said most of the meat is on the first page. Don't worry about asking though, sometimes I overlook things.
Awesome, thanks a lot guys!
ajmadic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #2524
ajmadic
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I def have the ticking, but no laughing monkey yet. I'm going to pull it out and take a look at it either this weekend or next.
ajmadic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #2525
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

willydigger this is the best and most recent ones ive come across first one is t and 2nd is t6.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2330292

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2330040
Unread 12-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #2526
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

can this upper bushing be over lubricated? I was thinking of just drilling a hole witha clear tubed resevoir attached to it filled with 5w-30.....better some lubrication than none?
Unread 12-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #2527
locosdj
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hey everyone I modified mine to replicate the oil bath design proposed by efm-7. I sealed the lid and both holes with machine screws and RTV. I decided to only drill a single hole from the top of the OPDA to the factory fill reservoir. Replaced my oil with VR-1 and topped the oil bath off at 49,000 miles.

One thing to note is that I installed my new odpa first and put about 20 miles on it before doing the mod. When I pulled the opda there was plenty of oil at the top bushing at last 5-7 eyedrops worth.

Will update everyone at my next oil change.
locosdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #2528
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
willydigger this is the best and most recent ones ive come across first one is t and 2nd is t6.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2330292

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2330040
Awesome! I'll add these links to the first page for reference. Thanks!
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #2529
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosdj View Post
Hey everyone I modified mine to replicate the oil bath design proposed by efm-7. I sealed the lid and both holes with machine screws and RTV. I decided to only drill a single hole from the top of the OPDA to the factory fill reservoir. Replaced my oil with VR-1 and topped the oil bath off at 49,000 miles.

One thing to note is that I installed my new odpa first and put about 20 miles on it before doing the mod. When I pulled the opda there was plenty of oil at the top bushing at last 5-7 eyedrops worth.

Will update everyone at my next oil change.
Did you clean out the reservoir of factory grease?

There should be no oil on the top bushing with out modification. Unless there is a seal failure no oil can reach the upper bushing. Keep a close eye on your oil "bath" level. If you seal is bad oil will continue to accumulate up.

Recently with the new OPDA's I've seen, there is a small film of oil on the entire shaft. This is different than older models (still 05-06 OPDA's). Not 5-7 droppers worth though.
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #2530
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJman06 View Post
can this upper bushing be over lubricated? I was thinking of just drilling a hole witha clear tubed resevoir attached to it filled with 5w-30.....better some lubrication than none?
Anything extra will weep out the top. What you're describing sounds like the oil cup design with a different cup, or oil reservoir. I don't think you'll have a problem.

If you are going through the factory reservoir I highly recommend cleaning out the old grease. There's no telling what may result if it blocks or enters the shaft contact area. Those of you who've seen the factory grease can attest that it isn't something you'd want as a contact lubricant.

Regarding efm-7's oil bath design, it should work, however I would recommend cleaning the factory reservoir like he did. You will need to put a hole in it and purge it some how.

Personally I have the resources to install the oil cup, which IMO is cleaner and more user friendly. Although I support efm-7's idea and the idea of a oil bath, I think (and please correct me) his solution was a result of not having easy access to fittings.
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #2531
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is the oil cup, after all the experience here, preferred over the fogmod?
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #2532
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpsc View Post
Is the oil cup, after all the experience here, preferred over the fogmod?
Depends on who you ask. Both will work. The grease is cleaner, but you have the "overhead" of maintaining grease and the question of how much and how often.

The oil cup is a little messy. The oil will seep out the top, but you have good lubrication with no fear of hydraulic load. Initially it's more expensive because you need a few extra fittings, but in the long run there is no grease issue.

My vote currently is the oil cup. I don't know that you need to go out and switch over though. There have been good results with the grease. Pick what you feel comfortable with.

If you are just learning about this problem and need to choose, I would recommend oil cup over all the other alternatives. I love the inventiveness of the variant ideas, but IMO the oil cup is the cleanest and most appealing. Big thanks to Rubi4MyMrs for the concept!
Unread 12-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #2533
locosdj
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Did you clean out the reservoir of factory grease?

There should be no oil on the top bushing with out modification. Unless there is a seal failure no oil can reach the upper bushing. Keep a close eye on your oil "bath" level. If you seal is bad oil will continue to accumulate up.

Recently with the new OPDA's I've seen, there is a small film of oil on the entire shaft. This is different than older models (still 05-06 OPDA's). Not 5-7 droppers worth though.
Yes, I cleaned out the factory grease with heat and rinsed with parts cleaner. I also lubbed the shaft with VR-1 prior to installation.

I'll keep an eye on the oil bath level and will re-inspect the shaft in 3,000 and change the bath oil along with uploading pic's for the forum.
locosdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #2534
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You and Fog have done all of us a great service. I've completed the fogmod some time ago but the oil cup design is impressive. Thanks for your response, willydigger.
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #2535
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

My design was indeed because I couldn't easily source an oil cup, but I also wanted to recirculate whatever seeped through the top of the bushing.

After installing my OPDA, I squirted some Krown T40 (rust inhibitor) around the screws and fittings so they don't get rusty.
efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.