2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 164 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #2446
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysius View Post
You guys have done a great job documenting the problem and making the repairs. Saw the video of replacing it, seems pretty easy. Beats paying an extra $300.00 to have someone else do it. Hope it's in stock, I paced an order for it.

I recently did the brakes and replaced the water pump, thermostat, hoses and belt with the help from this forum, good stuff.

Thanks again.

Denis
You replaced the water pump on a jeep with 39k miles?

footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #2447
lizardking31
2005 LJ Wrangler 

deleted
lizardking31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #2448
dionysius
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Had the dealer flush the radiator earlier, which was probably to cause for the pump to start leaking. Not a very good flush, at least not as good a flush as I did when I replaced the pump.

I'm sticking to doing the maintenance myself from now on, just don't get the quality of work done by others.

Denis
Unread 12-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #2449
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Bomb still ticking

I've followed this thread for quite some time now, even contacted willydigger about the fogmod. Here's my story, right now I am just shy of 60k on the clock, no signs of monkeys yet but not sure if I should pull the opda or not. My problem is I still have until May of '12 left on my 7/70 power train warranty so do I pull it and not worry about Chrysler trying to blame me for it being fubar'd because I pulled it? Has anyone had a dealer pull it, re-install and set it back in with the DBR? Just wondering how much time they charged to do it, can't believe it would be much over 1/2hr which should be less than my $100 deductible. Well that's where I stand, I'm not afraid to pull it as far as my mechanical abilities are concerned, just don't want to give Chrysler a reason to void my froggin warranty on it. Thanks for any advise, really hate to let it go too long and possibly smoke my cam gear.

P.S. I did switch over to VR-1 10w30, I really like it so far and almost think the oil consumption is less, not that it was real bad before (1/2qt between oil changes (3000mi).
P.S.S. I am really liking the looks of the oil cup mod.
P.S.S.S. Just wanted everyone to know how much I appreciate all the hard work you members have done on this problem, you guys are awesome and thank you very much for all of your effort!!!!!! Too bad Chrysler didn't put this much time and knowledge into this before they put it on the streets.
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #2450
paulpa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep06 View Post
I've followed this thread for quite some time now, even contacted willydigger about the fogmod. Here's my story, right now I am just shy of 60k on the clock, no signs of monkeys yet but not sure if I should pull the opda or not. My problem is I still have until May of '12 left on my 7/70 power train warranty so do I pull it and not worry about Chrysler trying to blame me for it being fubar'd because I pulled it? Has anyone had a dealer pull it, re-install and set it back in with the DBR? Just wondering how much time they charged to do it, can't believe it would be much over 1/2hr which should be less than my $100 deductible. Well that's where I stand, I'm not afraid to pull it as far as my mechanical abilities are concerned, just don't want to give Chrysler a reason to void my froggin warranty on it. Thanks for any advise, really hate to let it go too long and possibly smoke my cam gear.

P.S. I did switch over to VR-1 10w30, I really like it so far and almost think the oil consumption is less, not that it was real bad before (1/2qt between oil changes (3000mi).
P.S.S.S. Just wanted everyone to know how much I appreciate all the hard work you members have done on this problem, you guys are awesome and thank you very much for all of your effort!!!!!! Too bad Chrysler didn't put this much time and knowledge into this before they put it on the streets.
I would pull it or at least have it pulled mine is an 05 with 60,000,it made no noises whatsoever but when I pulled it I found alot of wear on the drive gear.If you decide to have it pulled by the dealer make sure you ask to see it,don't let them make the call on replacement.They seem to think a worn gear is normal no matter how worn it is.Just my 2 cents,I also am in love with the oil lube idea,and think I'll be ordering another opda and do this mod.
paulpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #2451
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep06 View Post

Unless you have evidence of something wrong the dealer won't do anything. If you pull it and see wear, the dealer will say it's normal. You would need a failure, a large degree of slop that the scan tool would pick up, or laughing monkey.

I told the dealer I pulled mine and had no issue, however I did have laughing monkey and the OPDA showed signs of failure. I was still under warranty and had to pay a $100 deductible. There are a select few that get substantial help from the dealer but I think they are the minority. With you showing no symptoms I think you'll be on your own.

If I had it to do over I would have skipped the dealer altogether. At the time OPDA's were new under $100 and I would have been able to dissect mine. The dealer said the cam was fine (as expected) so they did nothing. They even failed to reinstall a new gasket so when I got it back it was leaking oil at the hold down bolt.

Pull it and inspect. Then you'll know. Maybe you'll be okay. If it does show wear, make a decision. Prepare to fight with the dealer for coverage or go on your own.
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #2452
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just ran across this new thread in case anyone wants to know what Laughing Monkey sounds like. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...y-out-1300892/
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #2453
DME
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Just ran across this new thread in case anyone wants to know what Laughing Monkey sounds like. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...y-out-1300892/
That's me

I guess I'm ordering this today and taking tomorrow off to install it.

98K on my '05 LJ, and I have never had it in to the dealer, so I don't expect to get anything from them.
DME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #2454
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DME View Post
That's me

I guess I'm ordering this today and taking tomorrow off to install it.

98K on my '05 LJ, and I have never had it in to the dealer, so I don't expect to get anything from them.
Links are on the first page. Don't order from the dealer.

I drove around with mine squealing for about two weeks.

If you need to, take it out now and disassemble and clean. You will need a T25 to remove the cover bolts, 1/2 wrench for the hold down, and a 3/16 punch for the roll pin. Laughing Monkey means the shaft is binding and a cleaning can buy you time. The gear is likely shot though.

I don't know where you are in VA, but I'm in Baltimore. If you need to come up for help let me know.
Unread 12-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #2455
DME
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Links are on the first page. Don't order from the dealer.

I drove around with mine squealing for about two weeks.

If you need to, take it out now and disassemble and clean. You will need a T25 to remove the cover bolts, 1/2 wrench for the hold down, and a 3/16 punch for the roll pin. Laughing Monkey means the shaft is binding and a cleaning can buy you time. The gear is likely shot though.

I don't know where you are in VA, but I'm in Baltimore. If you need to come up for help let me know.
Thanks for the message. I work in downtown DC and live in Manassas. Right now the truck is sitting in a parking garage and I'm at work without my tools. I might see if Geico will tow it home since I have tow on my insurance.
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #2456
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade Blaine

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What Willy says plus when you have it apart oil the bushings (mostly the top one) & the shaft pretty good. It should spin a lot better. If the gear is not too bad you s/b good for a while.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #2457
dionysius
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For replacing the OPDA, I'm guessing I should mark the old unit as per the forum posts prior to removing it and transfer those markings over to the new unit? That sound about right?

Also, does the seal/gasket come with the OPDA, I ordered it and wasn't sure if the seal was included.

Denis
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #2458
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysius View Post
For replacing the OPDA, I'm guessing I should mark the old unit as per the forum posts prior to removing it and transfer those markings over to the new unit? That sound about right?

Also, does the seal/gasket come with the OPDA, I ordered it and wasn't sure if the seal was included.

Denis
Yes, just match the marks. There is no trick, just a good eye. I've done it on two jeeps (mine and a forum member) with zero problems. The TDC method described on the first page is there if you want it, but IMO adds unnecessary work.

The seal is separate and typically with an old OPDA the seal is fused to the housing. A new one will likely be required. It cost only a few dollars and the PN is on the first page.
Unread 12-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #2459
DME
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I ordered a replacement shipped overnight and a gasket and am having the Jeep towed home (35 miles through DC-NoVA rush hour traffic, glad it's not my dime). Taking tomorrow off to fix it.

Thanks for all the info, I should be good to go tomorrow.

Dave
Unread 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #2460
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This has me a little worried, since im not the most savvy with mechanical stuff..and I know the dealer would tell me its fine til it blows up...Do you think a local mechanic, if I told him the same exact problem and show him that a lot of people have been having this problem that he may inspect it or maybe I should just buy it and have them replace it for peace of mind...

Now i'm afraid, at 60k on the clock now that its a ticking time-bomb, people have had the gear blow at around or slightly before 60k so now its just a matter of time..
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.