2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 163 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #2431
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i have 60k miles on the clock and haven't had any symptoms, should I keep driving it until something happens (which could I be one of the lucky ones?) or should i just get the part and have it installed? Can a shop do it? What happens if I just keep driving it til it blows?

Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #2432
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just an update. I got around to doing my variation of the oil mod and things went relatively smoothly. Unfortunately, I broke a bit drilling one of the holes into the reservoir, but at least I got most of the metal fragments out and proceeded to drill new holes. Oops. Anyhow, I filled the cup with a bit of oil, bubbled through the holes, and out the drain. Right now, I'm leak testing the hardware and I hope to get the balls to install it sometime soon.... *sigh*

Note I used a larger bit to shave down the ledge
efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #2433
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
i have 60k miles on the clock and haven't had any symptoms, should I keep driving it until something happens (which could I be one of the lucky ones?) or should i just get the part and have it installed? Can a shop do it? What happens if I just keep driving it til it blows?
I would pull it first. See where your wear level is. If you are one of the lucky ones, your wear will be minimal and I would consider FogModding the existing OPDA. If you have a lot of wear, I would order a new one and FogMod it.

If you continue to run it, if it fails you will starve your engine of oil and it will likely result in serious engine damage. A small amount of work (inspection) and possibly a small investment now will prevent that.

A shop should be able to easily replace one, but I would advise FogModding it for some added piece of mind down the road. I don't know where in Central PA you are, but if you want you can come down to Baltimore and we can get you straight.
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #2434
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I would pull it first. See where your wear level is. If you are one of the lucky ones, your wear will be minimal and I would consider FogModding the existing OPDA. If you have a lot of wear, I would order a new one and FogMod it.

If you continue to run it, if it fails you will starve your engine of oil and it will likely result in serious engine damage. A small amount of work (inspection) and possibly a small investment now will prevent that.

A shop should be able to easily replace one, but I would advise FogModding it for some added piece of mind down the road. I don't know where in Central PA you are, but if you want you can come down to Baltimore and we can get you straight.
This is starting to scare me a little, i'd pull it myself but I know the way I have with mechanical things it will blow up in my hands or ill forget which way it goes in. is there any sort of step by step?
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #2435
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is starting to scare me a little, i'd pull it myself but I know the way I have with mechanical things it will blow up in my hands or ill forget which way it goes in. is there any sort of step by step?
There is a video on the first page under the Removal Section. It is pretty easy. The hold down bolt is hard to reach and sometimes very tight. Mark the position of the target wheel as it relates to the sensor. Watch the video a couple times until you are comfortable. The hardest part is working up the nerve!

Once it's out don't start the Jeep. Leave it be until it's reinstalled. Reinstall the same way it was removed and get the hold down bolt tight, but not too tight.

The video will also show what happens if the oil pump turns so it won't reinstall easy. A long flat head screwdriver will fix that and honestly if you remove slowly you shouldn't have a problem. I was trying to remove it without being in the way of the camera.
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #2436
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post
Just an update. ..
Looks really cool. I hope it works.
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #2437
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Will I know when the part fails? Will there be a drop in oil pressure or a check engine light so I know my engine won't be starved of oil?
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #2438
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbones
Will I know when the part fails? Will there be a drop in oil pressure or a check engine light so I know my engine won't be starved of oil?
Read amongst the first 10 posts again. Some have lots of warning, others have little. I wouldn't wait, but if you do, when the monkey laughs, shut it down immediately.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #2439
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think there will be both. Definitely the CEL. It doesn't take long to destroy an engine though.

You may get lucky like I did and get the "laughing monkey" screech from the OPDA itself. There is a link on the first page for that too. It's a little different than a belt or pulley squeal.
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #2440
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger

I think there will be both. Definitely the CEL. It doesn't take long to destroy an engine though.
I had no CEL with the monkey; it only lit after it was too late.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #2441
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
I had no CEL with the monkey; it only lit after it was too late.
I think he was referring to loss of oil. You will get a CEL for that, though it may be too late at that point.

I also wouldn't count on the Monkey for warning. Some get it some don't.

I wouldn't sit by and wait for something to happen. I would pull it to know for sure.
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #2442
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Updated Alternate Design Section to include the oil bath mod from efm-7.
Unread 12-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #2443
dionysius
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Was reading this post before I left work today and wouldn't you know it, screaming monkeys from the engine compartment when I started the Jeep. 2006 Rubicon with 39K miles on it. I got out and put my hand on the OPDA and you could definitely hear and feel the vibrations/noise.

Stopped by the dealer to see if maybe there was some warranty coverage, none. They quoted $400.00 plus for replacement. Told them no thanks, for that price I'll do it myself, and thanks for the lack of support on this defective component.

Is the part number the same for both the 05 and 06?

Denis
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #2444
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysius View Post
Was reading this post before I left work today and wouldn't you know it, screaming monkeys from the engine compartment when I started the Jeep. 2006 Rubicon with 39K miles on it. I got out and put my hand on the OPDA and you could definitely hear and feel the vibrations/noise.

Stopped by the dealer to see if maybe there was some warranty coverage, none. They quoted $400.00 plus for replacement. Told them no thanks, for that price I'll do it myself, and thanks for the lack of support on this defective component.

Is the part number the same for both the 05 and 06?

Denis
Yes. Follow the info on the first page. Good luck. If you need any help with the mod let us know.
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #2445
dionysius
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You guys have done a great job documenting the problem and making the repairs. Saw the video of replacing it, seems pretty easy. Beats paying an extra $300.00 to have someone else do it. Hope it's in stock, I paced an order for it.

I recently did the brakes and replaced the water pump, thermostat, hoses and belt with the help from this forum, good stuff.

Thanks again.

Denis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.