2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 160 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #2386
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post
I thought about this some more and I realized it won't work because of the amount of rotation needed to get a point of reference
Not really, all you need is one point of reference, encounter it twice to get the shaft speed, and then you can generate the remaining signal synthetically using a D-A converter. The two distributors each rotate the same amount in a given turn of the engine, after all -- the bottom end gearing hasn't changed, that would have changed the oil pump speed, which would require a different oil pump, and AFAIK the oil pump didn't change in 2005-2006. One issue is that the pre-2005 sensor isn't very precise, but you can fix that by changing it to an optical sensor. Which Jeep didn't do for 2005 because optical sensors have some decided issues compared to Hall effect sensors for automotive purposes -- they stop working if they get dirty or wet while Hall effect sensors don't care, for one thing, and they're unlikely to last two decades, for another thing -- but since it turns out the distributor is a maintenance item in the 2005-2006 anyhow, replacing optical sensors from time to time beats replacing camshafts from time to time.

That said, I can't help but think that there's a simpler way to deal with this problem...

Unread 12-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #2387
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

I wish there was a simple solution. Sure makes me appreciate parts I once took for granted
efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #2388
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
And a perhaps more reasonable question, given that some folks have run their entire OPDA filled with oil by merely sealing the top with the same black silicone used to seal the diffs, is: who cares if oil gets past the bushing into the top? Has anybody tried this to see whether a huge amount of oil makes it up there if that seal is taken out?
I like this, as I have just been inspecting and re-lubing(if need be) the bushing manually. 3x it's still been "wet" on teardown, but arctic temperatures are in the wings
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #2389
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux
Has anybody tried this to see whether a huge amount of oil makes it up there if that seal is taken out?
I proposed reversing the seal a few months back after vertically dissecting my original failed unit, but don't have the tools to remove the upper bushing, flip the seal, and re-press the bushing. I still have a brand new spare that I would volunteer for the project if someone can do it or if anyone wants to pitch in on the funding. I just can't afford to throw any cash into a machine shop to make it happen right now.

For pics of my dissect look to the first few pages of this thread. I still sincerely believe that the seals may be installed upside down from the mfg.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #2390
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
I proposed reversing the seal a few months back after vertically dissecting my original failed unit, but don't have the tools to remove the upper bushing, flip the seal, and re-press the bushing. I still have a brand new spare that I would volunteer for the project if someone can do it or if anyone wants to pitch in on the funding. I just can't afford to throw any cash into a machine shop to make it happen right now.

For pics of my dissect look to the first few pages of this thread. I still sincerely believe that the seals may be installed upside down from the mfg.
What would happen if you simply removed that seal and reassembled the unit? I'm trying to picture why that would be any worse than filling the top end w/oil...
Unread 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #2391
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
What would happen if you simply removed that seal and reassembled the unit? I'm trying to picture why that would be any worse than filling the top end w/oil...
You can't pull the seal without removing the upper bushing first. I think you need some oil flow restriction, but not complete flow elimination that the current seal orientation imposes.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #2392
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post

Can you give me a link to your dissection pics? I'd like to link them to the first page for reference.

Nevermind I already did under the dissection section!
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #2393
dproctor0715
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hello. The guy on post 876 now has over 12,000 miles on his mod, with no leaks since he sealed the OPDA cup and cap with black rtv at 1200 miles. It's taken on one extra quart of oil in 12,000 miles, crank case never became overfull between oil changes and no squeeking/squaking ever. Still no new OPDA or gear. No problems here.
dproctor0715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #2394
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Seal pic reposted for ease. This is the factory position of the seal.

In the above position there is no way oil is getting to the top.

If the seal was reversed I would think oil would be allowed to travel up the shaft on the upper bushing. I say this because:

1. We see the oil from the oil cup flow up and out the upper bushing with no pressure.
2. In addition I think the small bits of sludge found in some OPDA's is actually sludge from oil that has bypassed a bad seal.

If this is true if you were to remove the seal nothing will stop to oil from escaping into the upper housing and everywhere. The shaft will carry it up just like it does with the oil cup.

I don't know what would happen if you flipped the seal. I would think a little would dribble out into the upper bushing. Good luck removing the bushing and fishing out the seal in one piece. I think drilling for an oil cup is easier.
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #2395
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dproctor0715 View Post
Hello. The guy on post 876 now has over 12,000 miles on his mod, with no leaks since he sealed the OPDA cup and cap with black rtv at 1200 miles. It's taken on one extra quart of oil in 12,000 miles, crank case never became overfull between oil changes and no squeeking/squaking ever. Still no new OPDA or gear. No problems here.
What did the gear look like previous and do you have an updated shot? Have you taken apart your OPDA?
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #2396
adam211

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
What did the gear look like previous and do you have an updated shot? Have you taken apart your OPDA?
Yup, have u? That's important issue.
adam211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #2397
dproctor0715
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Will try to get a shot for you over the holidays.
dproctor0715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #2398
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dproctor0715 View Post
Will try to get a shot for you over the holidays.
Thanks. I'll link to the alternate designs for the "oil bath" version.
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #2399
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

How about adding something to drain the oil from the cup back into the "reservoir" ?

maybe best to have some sort of mesh to remove particulates.
efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #2400
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not a bad idea but not sure how easy it would be to build. Here is part of what I posted last Sept that got no comments. It is basically a hybrid version of dproctor’s build. Less hardware & all you need is to remove the shaft & drill 1 hole. No thread tapping.

If you removed the CPS & the shaft, you could drill the bushing, accessing it through the CPS hole (angling it to the housing “floor”). Then seal the whole thing like dproctor did then fill the top of the housing with oil. That would lube the bushing as long as there was oil in there & you wouldn’t have to worry about oil spilling over the top of the bushing (it would just re-circulate itself). If you didn’t fill the housing too full you hopefully would not need to seal the cap making it easy to check the oil level. If your seal is good that amount of oil should last a long time. My very early ’05 seal is doing great holding oil.

Thoughts?
Rubi4MyMrs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.