2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 01-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #226
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My gear was replaced under recall but in 2005, that was some time ago and I can't rule out it wasnt replaced with a defective gear. Lope, do you have a date as to when they serviced your gear? Willydigger points out there are many variables here such as heat and up and down play, but I'm still not satisfied given the amount of wear on my gear and the ease at which the shaft turns. It's making me come to the conclusion my gear is a good bit softer than my camshaft gear. A similar problem was occurring with gears on cheap HEI distributors awhile back if I remember right. Hopefully these newer OPDAs will have stronger gears, the lubrication issue will be handled with the Fog mod.

Unread 01-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #227
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
My gear was replaced under recall but in 2005, that was some time ago and I can't rule out it wasnt replaced with a defective gear. Lope, do you have a date as to when they serviced your gear? Willydigger points out there are many variables here such as heat and up and down play, but I'm still not satisfied given the amount of wear on my gear and the ease at which the shaft turns. It's making me come to the conclusion my gear is a good bit softer than my camshaft gear. A similar problem was occurring with gears on cheap HEI distributors awhile back if I remember right. Hopefully these newer OPDAs will have stronger gears, the lubrication issue will be handled with the Fog mod.
You want the OPDA gear to be the wear part.

Also there has to be a difference in drive style also. Stop/go may increase the possibility of up/down being an issue compared to a relatively constant thrust with highway miles.

We don't have a lot documented results only failures and Chrysler's denial.

We know the upper bushing will bind.
We know the flat tappet needs higher ZDDP.
We know new oils lack ZDDP.
We know ZDDP is critical during the break in period for engines.

A couple other considerations. How about oil fill levels. Traditional sales only include 5qts. Novice vehicle owners may not be aware of the 6qt I6.
Fast starts may increase gear wear if you don't let the engine run for a minute or so. trying to think outside the box.

Fog has reported seeing modded OPDA's with the Aeroshell and the 5w40TDT with good results. I plan to continue documenting my wear so we have a "Truman Show" of how it evolves.
Unread 01-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #228
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It just worries me to see the wear, I'm paranoid. The thought of it chipping or breaking is of concern. I'm glad I made the switch to 5w-40 at 28,000. I wish it would have been sooner and I'm almost positive the previous owner (an elderly lady) wasn't changing her own oil, so you can bet the service centers only add 5 quarts.
Unread 01-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #229
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I dropped off the jeep this morning and asked what they were replacing. As I suspected it's the gear, not the entire unit. I requested they call me when they take the OPDA out so I can get some photos.

This is not the best solution, but being as how you can't even get a new, non-faulty OPDA in the first place, I guess it'll have to do, for now anyway.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #230
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Originally Posted by williambmac
There has been some known issues with the cps/distributor shaft bushings.
The bushings go bad and the shaft will make a high pitched squeal on start up.
I have replaced the distributor shaft on a couple earlier tj's 00-02, including my own vehicle.
Never had a problem in warm weather, but once the temp drops below 40 digits mine would squeal like a pig for about 5 minutes before quieting down.
I have the replacement procedure if you are going to do it on your own. pm me if you need it.

You've had bushing failures on the 2000-02? That's interesting. Do you know how many miles? I don't want to highjack the thread, but I'm pretty invested in the OPDA failures in 2005-06 models. We also have bushing failures and I assumed it was due to the flawed design. I'd love to get your input to help us understand what we are dealing with in the 2005-06 camp. If you don't mind please PM me or post your knowledge in the OPDA failure link below.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

@ willydiggers request I am posting this up for you guys.
I have replaced a couple of the camshaft syncronizers on earlier tj's for worn bushings.
Nothing as devastating as the 05-06 problems. Mainly for a horrible squeal at start up.
I replaced mine @ 83k miles it would squeal like a pig for about 5 minutes after start up in cold weather.
The two others I did were on 01-02 for same problem, not sure of the mileage though.
Dorman offers a replacement for the late 99-04 wj/tj.
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-8342-689-200.aspx?pymmeid=6305974
These can be ordered thru any auto parts store. I spoke with a rep @ dorman regarding a replacement unit for later models and unfortunately nothing is in the works right now. Dorman stated it comes down to a demand for the part and the $$$$ for the tooling to make it.

there used to be a few posts over on the JU website regarding the issue in the older tj's

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...or+shaft+noise

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...or+shaft+noise

williambmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #231
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac
There has been some known issues with the cps/distributor shaft bushings.
The bushings go bad and the shaft will make a high pitched squeal on start up.
I have replaced the distributor shaft on a couple earlier tj's 00-02, including my own vehicle.
Never had a problem in warm weather, but once the temp drops below 40 digits mine would squeal like a pig for about 5 minutes before quieting down.
I have the replacement procedure if you are going to do it on your own. pm me if you need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger
You've had bushing failures on the 2000-02? That's interesting. Do you know how many miles? I don't want to highjack the thread, but I'm pretty invested in the OPDA failures in 2005-06 models. We also have bushing failures and I assumed it was due to the flawed design. I'd love to get your input to help us understand what we are dealing with in the 2005-06 camp. If you don't mind please PM me or post your knowledge in the OPDA failure link below.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
Quote:
@ willydiggers request I am posting this up for you guys.
I have replaced a couple of the camshaft syncronizers on earlier tj's for worn bushings.
Nothing as devastating as the 05-06 problems. Mainly for a horrible squeal at start up.
I replaced mine @ 83k miles it would squeal like a pig for about 5 minutes after start up in cold weather.
The two others I did were on 01-02 for same problem, not sure of the mileage though.
Dorman offers a replacement for the late 99-04 wj/tj.
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-8342-689-200.aspx?pymmeid=6305974
These can be ordered thru any auto parts store. I spoke with a rep @ dorman regarding a replacement unit for later models and unfortunately nothing is in the works right now. Dorman stated it comes down to a demand for the part and the $$$$ for the tooling to make it.
I thought that it was interesting that earlier models were having failures. That may support Lope's findings on oil not reaching the top bushing even without the seal preventing it.
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #232
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Aside from the downright ridiculous fact that my Jeep has a factory-designed and re-designed part that continues to be faulty, along with the fact that we the consumer are being forced to figure out a way to get the part to actually survive a reasonable amount of time before failing again rather than Chrysler figuring it out and making it right, I now am concerned with the additional wear and tear that the worn gear particles may have done to the other rotating assembly of the motor.
When a good portion of my gears are visually absent, they obviously were ground down into the oil itself and made their way into bearing and oil-ring surfaces regardless of an oil filter being used. My motor likely will not have the longevity overall that it would have had this drive gear not failed.

And while I agree with you Willydigger that you'd rather the OPDA gear get worn before the cam drive gear, the underlying point is that on any decently designed engine, neither should wear out in the average lifespan of any said vehicle. It should be designed and manufactured so that it will last longer than the rest of the Jeep just like any of the other dozens of engine designs on the market today. It was poor design that lead to this issue, and Chrysler should fix it. Period.

Not ranting toward anyone here as your information has been most helpful, but it seems it's time to grab the torches and pitchforks and storm the castle with this issue. How about we create a thread in which affected members can attest to having a problem with their rig, letting the other sites with 4.0 owners know about our petition, and then sending it off to Chrysler to let them know how many potential customers won't be buying any more of their products. Squeaky wheel usually gets the oil. (unfortunately pun inteded)

As a rough estimate, how many signatures do you guys think we could end up producing?
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #233
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I thought that it was interesting that earlier models were having failures. That may support Lope's findings on oil not reaching the top bushing even without the seal preventing it.
If you do a search "distributor shaft noise" I think you will find issues all the way back to the std distributor used in the 97-early 99 tj's and wj's.
What happens is the shaft gets gummed up with sludge and varnish. This prevents the shaft from lubricating the bushings. I can tell you I have replaced numerous distributor on numerous different brands of vehicles because of this problem.
However I have never seen a problem like D/C is having at the moment with the 05-06 TJ's
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #234
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
It was poor design that lead to this issue, and Chrysler should fix it. Period.
I think we all agree with that.

Given that Chrysler and its dealers will tell you, with a straight face, that they've never heard of the problem, I don't think any of us are expecting it to happen.

And its even more clear that if you're not the original owner, then they really don't care about you.
kgginslc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #235
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williambmac View Post
If you do a search "distributor shaft noise" I think you will find issues all the way back to the std distributor used in the 97-early 99 tj's and wj's.
What happens is the shaft gets gummed up with sludge and varnish. This prevents the shaft from lubricating the bushings. I can tell you I have replaced numerous distributor on numerous different brands of vehicles because of this problem.
However I have never seen a problem like D/C is having at the moment with the 05-06 TJ's
The difference being there is a seal preventing any lubrication from reaching the upper bushing.

Quote:
...Not ranting toward anyone here as your information has been most helpful, but it seems it's time to grab the torches and pitchforks and storm the castle with this issue. How about we create a thread in which affected members can attest to having a problem with their rig, letting the other sites with 4.0 owners know about our petition, and then sending it off to Chrysler to let them know how many potential customers won't be buying any more of their products. Squeaky wheel usually gets the oil. (unfortunately pun inteded)

As a rough estimate, how many signatures do you guys think we could end up producing?
I think that was the intent of the registry thread. I would start there. If anyone has had this problem fill out your info in the registry thread. If any of you frequent the other Jeep boards, pass along this thread and the registry.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op...-sign-1084723/
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #236
williambmac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=willydigger;10858154]The difference being there is a seal preventing any lubrication from reaching the upper bushing. QUOTE]

Installing a seal that prevents lubrication from getting to a bushing/bearing?
Wonder who the brainchild is that came up with that assbackwards design.
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #237
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The difference being there is a seal preventing any lubrication from reaching the upper bushing.

I think that was the intent of the registry thread. I would start there. If anyone has had this problem fill out your info in the registry thread. If any of you frequent the other Jeep boards, pass along this thread and the registry.

Bingo! I hadn't seen that thread. Thanks much.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #238
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone experienced hard starts? Sometimes my Jeep will take some time to crank over. I'm not sure if this could be related to the OPDA or not.
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #239
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
Has anyone experienced hard starts? Sometimes my Jeep will take some time to crank over. I'm not sure if this could be related to the OPDA or not.
Im wouldnt think so. After mine went crazy screaming monkey on me and I pulled it out, I could barely rotate it by hand. It took a lot of force. Even at that point I had zero hesitation with starting. Check your battery.
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #240
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
Not ranting toward anyone here as your information has been most helpful, but it seems it's time to grab the torches and pitchforks and storm the castle with this issue. How about we create a thread in which affected members can attest to having a problem with their rig, letting the other sites with 4.0 owners know about our petition, and then sending it off to Chrysler to let them know how many potential customers won't be buying any more of their products. Squeaky wheel usually gets the oil. (unfortunately pun inteded)

Quote:

While I do agree that Chrysler needs to take responsibility and provide a long term solution a registry of signatures will not solve anything.

Any and all individuals who have been affected by this need to have a lawyer write a letter to Chrysler legal department. Your local dealership and corporate have no interest in helping you. However, their legal team will respond and hopefully put you in touch with someone who can help. The letter should outline the obvious issue that plagues the 2005-2006 Wrangler and a request that Chrysler provide a solution (There may even be a lawyer and fellow owner on this forum willing to help). I believe we also have some leverage because a vehicle manufacture needs to provide parts for a vehicle for up to 10 years and currently the faulty OPDA has been unavailable for well over a month (I know that is not long but it may be a way pry information on when they will become available or if they are working on a fix).

Give Chrysler a fair chance but if they continue to stonewall the BBB should be contacted. They have great pull with vehicle manufactures and I have personally witnessed the BBB make similar issues go away very quickly and in a way that benefit the customer. The BBB may also be able to pull in the NHSTA who can push for an official recall and fix.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.