2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 159 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 12-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #2371
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Rubi4MyMrs - Oh I know, I was looking at his list and I was checking my usual vendors as McMaster does not appear to ship to Canada. I cannot source ANY of those locally.

Willydigger - I may indeed need someone to send me these. Obviously I will pay for the parts + shipping + add a little extra for the hassle. However, before I go that route, I would like to gather some thoughts and opinions on using a reservoir like the one I posted a picture of. I'm sure I can find a way to use a hose to connect that reservoir to the hole where the zerk once was. lol

efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #2372
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Before you decide on the reservoir pictured, read post #876 in this thread. He had issues of too much overflow because the oil level was higher than the top of the top bushing (my opinion). When mounting any oil container the height is an important consideration. As both Willy & I have found, oil travels up the bushing even when the level is below the bushing. That being said, I think any new ideas are worth trying.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #2373
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Before you decide on the reservoir pictured, read post #876 in this thread. He had issues of too much overflow because the oil level was higher than the top of the top bushing (my opinion). When mounting any oil container the height is an important consideration. As both Willy & I have found, oil travels up the bushing even when the level is below the bushing. That being said, I think any new ideas are worth trying.
I thought about this, and thought maybe draining the target wheel cup into a catch can might remedy the overflow issue. What I'm not too sure of is how quickly the oil will drain out. If I have to refill it every month, no big deal. If I have to refill it every week, that could get annoying
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #2374
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

SO, I received my first official half second "laughing monkey" sound Saturday morning. It was buur cold, 33'ish degrees.

I brought her to the dealer and they stated they weren't able to reproduce the noise. So nothing they could do, dealers don't care! I did check and the OPDA and CAM are both covered under the CPO warranty.

...yah so when the noise happens again.....i'm going to keep driving it all the way to the dealer and hope the engine goes boom boom. Yah, drop her off, please fix, here's my $150 deductible...see ya bU bye.

Only issue, CPO warranty is up in March, d'oooh!
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #2375
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusco
SO, I received my first official half second "laughing monkey" sound Saturday morning. It was buur cold, 33'ish degrees.

I brought her to the dealer and they stated they weren't able to reproduce the noise. So nothing they could do, dealers don't care! I did check and the OPDA and CAM are both covered under the CPO warranty.

...yah so when the noise happens again.....i'm going to keep driving it all the way to the dealer and hope the engine goes boom boom. Yah, drop her off, please fix, here's my $150 deductible...see ya bU bye.

Only issue, CPO warranty is up in March, d'oooh!
Pull it and inspect it now. Check specifically for binding of the shaft and excessive cam gear wear. LM will never last until you get to the dealer as it goes away within moments of initial cold start.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #2376
Fusco
Hey Now

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Pull it and inspect it now. Check specifically for binding of the shaft and excessive cam gear wear. LM will never last until you get to the dealer as it goes away within moments of initial cold start.
I had dealer pull OPDA, spent the $80 for them to do so. Tech stated no "excessive" wear on the OPDA or CAM gear. If the engine blows Jeep can't say I didn't try to prevent engine damage.

Exact words off dealer service ticket. "pulled OPDA per customer found no excessive wear on OPDA or CAM. Checked and adjusted cam/crank difference. Now at .40 - .50 degrees.

I also had them pull the OPDA back in July during some warranty repairs. The tech came back then and said also he found no "excessive" wear.

So I tried...then again if the engine does blow, I'll just a new CAM with the same bad OPDA design loooool.
Fusco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #2377
paulpa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have been reading this thread for a few months now and have a couple of questions.Number one,is evryone sure that the seal in the middle is preventing lubrication to the top bushing?If this is the case why not remove the seal and machine a bushing for the top that can hold the seal at the top?There is more than enough room.Number two,has anyone thought of or tried adapting the new top to the old style bottom?I feel this can be done with a adapter coupling machined to fit over the old style bottom after being cut and fitting the new top into the adapter bushing,Is anyone else thinking along these lines or even thinking of machining a new shaft housing that could be fitted onto the top portion?Am I screwed up even thinking along these lines.....thank you,and thank you all so much for your info,I removed mine at 60,000 and found excessive gear wear,installed a new one and will be ordering another new one to do the modifications on,I am also looking around for a couple of older units to get some meausurments and try making some adapters and upper bushings with a lip at the top to hold the seal,i mean heck it extends far enough out of the housing and has enough room to leave a good size lip to machine a spot for a seal.....again,have I just had to much coffee or does anyone else think like this?
paulpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #2378
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Personally, I was thinking of gathering some electrical engineering friends, hooking up both the old OPDA and new OPDA to a scope, and coming up with a way to "convert" the old signal into the new signal
Unread 12-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #2379
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusco View Post
I had dealer pull OPDA, spent the $80 for them to do so. Tech stated no "excessive" wear on the OPDA or CAM gear. If the engine blows Jeep can't say I didn't try to prevent engine damage.
Did you see the wear for yourself? Did you spin the shaft and feel for resistance?

I purposefully left the Jeep at the dealer overnight so they could here it in the morning. I had already pulled and inspected it and knew it was binding.

Waiting for my engine to blow up because the dealer said everything was okay is not something I would do. It's rare for the dealer to help at all. Why wouldn't you buy a new OPDA and install it? It is $120 and easy (SO easy) to do I don't understand why someone who has symptoms of failure wouldn't do it. Even if you can't FogMod it, you can at least buy time.
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #2380
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpa View Post
...Number one,is evryone sure that the seal in the middle is preventing lubrication to the top bushing?If this is the case why not remove the seal and machine a bushing for the top that can hold the seal at the top?...
Number two,has anyone thought of or tried adapting the new top to the old style bottom?I feel this can be done with a adapter coupling machined to fit over the old style bottom after being cut and fitting the new top into the adapter bushing,Is anyone else thinking along these lines or even thinking of machining a new shaft housing that could be fitted onto the top portion?
This thread primarily was for a quick, reasonable easy, and cost effective solution to the upper bushing wear/lube problem. As time has gone by the collection of us have experimented with different applications.

Machining a new seal for the upper bushing and making that mod adds a level of difficulty to most of us. I encourage you to try, but I wouldn't invest too much time and money if it becomes too difficult since an oil cup or grease fitting will ultimately give you the same result.

Making a Frankenstein of the two OPDA's wouldn't be a good solution. The lower bushing does have some scoring, but I don't think it's a main contributor to failure. The upper bushing and what ever causes the gear wear are the problems. I don't think either of those is addressed by swapping heads.
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #2381
ItsMrHall

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7
Personally, I was thinking of gathering some electrical engineering friends, hooking up both the old OPDA and new OPDA to a scope, and coming up with a way to "convert" the old signal into the new signal
I like this idea!!

Sent via Homing Pigeon

"No its a tie. That guy doesn't count, he can't even read!"
ItsMrHall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #2382
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

I thought about this some more and I realized it won't work because of the amount of rotation needed to get a point of reference
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #2383
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpa View Post
I have been reading this thread for a few months now and have a couple of questions.Number one,is evryone sure that the seal in the middle is preventing lubrication to the top bushing?If this is the case why not remove the seal and machine a bushing for the top that can hold the seal at the top?
And a perhaps more reasonable question, given that some folks have run their entire OPDA filled with oil by merely sealing the top with the same black silicone used to seal the diffs, is: who cares if oil gets past the bushing into the top? Has anybody tried this to see whether a huge amount of oil makes it up there if that seal is taken out?
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:26 AM   #2384
paulpa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
This thread primarily was for a quick, reasonable easy, and cost effective solution to the upper bushing wear/lube problem. As time has gone by the collection of us have experimented with different applications.

Machining a new seal for the upper bushing and making that mod adds a level of difficulty to most of us. I encourage you to try, but I wouldn't invest too much time and money if it becomes too difficult since an oil cup or grease fitting will ultimately give you the same result.

Making a Frankenstein of the two OPDA's wouldn't be a good solution. The lower bushing does have some scoring, but I don't think it's a main contributor to failure. The upper bushing and what ever causes the gear wear are the problems. I don't think either of those is addressed by swapping heads.
thank you...
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #2385
paulpa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
And a perhaps more reasonable question, given that some folks have run their entire OPDA filled with oil by merely sealing the top with the same black silicone used to seal the diffs, is: who cares if oil gets past the bushing into the top? Has anybody tried this to see whether a huge amount of oil makes it up there if that seal is taken out?
like this idea...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.