2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 158 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 12-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #2356
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for recapping, I'm going to order the parts soon in case I decide I want to do this upon next inspection of my OPDA.

Unread 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #2357
Bigbob

I like the oil cup idea. But like you said before, I'll probably go with a 90 degree elbow and a straight oil cup to get it up a little higher. The OPDA sits at an angle and the oil cup will be pretty low (downhill!) of the bushing.

I'd think for anyone buying a new OPDA this is the way to go.

Kinda makes one think we have gone back to the old days when oil cups were pretty standard fare. LOL I had a couple Farmall H tractors that used a couple oil cups for the Generator. I may even get one of those old pump oil cans and wear an engineer hat when I pop the hood on the Jeep.

A thought-----------

How about doing the mod to the OPDA as far as drilling the holes as everyone has done, but plug the hole where the grease zerk would fit and put the oil cup in where the grub screw would go. I'd think you would still retain the capacity of the resivoir but the oil cup would be towards the rear at a better angle. You'd probably be able to go with 1/8" fittings all the way through then.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #2358
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I like the oil cup idea. But like you said before, I'll probably go with a 90 degree elbow and a straight oil cup to get it up a little higher. The OPDA sits at an angle and the oil cup will be pretty low (downhill!) of the bushing.

How about doing the mod to the OPDA as far as drilling the holes as everyone has done, but plug the hole where the grease zerk would fit and put the oil cup in where the grub screw would go. I'd think you would still retain the capacity of the resivoir but the oil cup would be towards the rear at a better angle. You'd probably be able to go with 1/8" fittings all the way through then.
I tried the 90 with a straight oil cup, but the thing was enormous. Way too big with it sticking out the side. Double check the measurements on whatever you order. Since Rubi4MyMrs had the smaller oil cup and oil was leaking from the top bushing I think that's fine as shown/linked.

The only problem with the factory/grub location is the difficulty to access. It is between the engine and OPDA. It might work if you have a specialized syringe.
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #2359
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I tried the 90 with a straight oil cup, but the thing was enormous. Way too big with it sticking out the side. Double check the measurements on whatever you order. Since Rubi4MyMrs had the smaller oil cup and oil was leaking from the top bushing I think that's fine as shown/linked.

The only problem with the factory/grub location is the difficulty to access. It is between the engine and OPDA. It might work if you have a specialized syringe.
Makes sense. Thanks.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #2360
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You could use the factory fill hole. You have more meat there to tap into & have to remove the plug to drill the bushing. Also it is further out & you may be able to thread the cup directly into the housing without an extension. You will almost certainly have to rotate the housing like dproctor did. (post 876 & in the alternatives section on page 1) I might consider that if modding a new unit. I considered that when I did mine but opted to follow the FOGMod in case I wanted to change to a grease fitting if oil did not work. It is easy to see the oil level in the position I (& Willy) used & you need to have room to hold the cap open when adding oil.

Willy is right, anyone changing from grease to oil will have to decide if the fitting for the cup will fit under the bottom of the housing. There is not much room there & depending where the hole was drilled for the zerk, it may not clear. I knew the size of the fitting when I drilled mine & still had to grind the hex off the fitting I used to get clearance. The fitting Willy used might be smaller but as he said, it will be close.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #2361
WranglerTom
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I stumbled on this post by accident late last night after being out of the Wrangler game for a year or so (my first time back on the site in a long time and this is is the first post I see ha ha). Anyway, I have a 2005 LJ with a 4.0 and 12,9xx miles. To date, I've never heard any strange noises or felt that anything has been wrong with the engine.

So, I've read a few hundred posts and I'm totally confused on how to proceed to verify if I have the problem and what to do if I have it.

Before I read this post, I changed the oil yesterday afternoon to Mobil 1 10w30 High Mileage, oil I've been using for the past two years based on the ZDDP problem I learned of back then on this forum.

So, where can I find a step-by-step process to resolve this dliemma, including what oil to use. Can I use a ZDDP additive in this brand of oil and not have problems?

Thanks for the help!
Jeeperman front and rear bumpers, ORO taillights
Skid Row steering and engine skids
AEV Bridger wheels and Toyo Open Country M/T tires--much more to come!
WranglerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #2362
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerTom View Post
So, where can I find a step-by-step process to resolve this dliemma, including what oil to use. Can I use a ZDDP additive in this brand of oil and not have problems?

Thanks for the help!
IMHO the Mobil 1 oil is fine without any additives. The oil selection is mainly for the gear/valve train on these old flat tappet engines. Make sure you also use good gas to prevent exhaust valve stem carbon build up. IE, Shell, Chevron.

The issue with the OPDA is basically not oil related. The top bushing gets bad as it never sees any oil. It is sealed from oil getting to it.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #2363
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I stumbled on this post by accident late last night after being out of the Wrangler game for a year or so (my first time back on the site in a long time and this is is the first post I see ha ha). Anyway, I have a 2005 LJ with a 4.0 and 12,9xx miles. To date, I've never heard any strange noises or felt that anything has been wrong with the engine.

So, I've read a few hundred posts and I'm totally confused on how to proceed to verify if I have the problem and what to do if I have it.

Before I read this post, I changed the oil yesterday afternoon to Mobil 1 10w30 High Mileage, oil I've been using for the past two years based on the ZDDP problem I learned of back then on this forum.

Thanks for the help!
Go take a look at the first page of this thread. Willy's got it well organized and it should answer most of your questions.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #2364
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Below is a shot of the OPDA oil discharge. This confirms Rubi4MyMrs discharge after his oil cup mod. I filled the oil cup to the top at initial installation. It's now down to the mid point of the cup. Not bad for a cell phone.

Unread 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #2365
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple shots of the modified half coupling. To be clear this was not easy and I really recommend a full sized (1") coupling. To modify the half coupling I needed to destroy the 1/8 tap. It took about an hour of modification. This will likely be the only one made, though knowing me I might get a serious of taps to customize the half coupling since the finished product looks SO nice.

This bad boy is going to BillR. Notice the clearance on the bottom image. This was with an OPDA set up for the oil cup. This OPDA fits perfectly with no filing required, but it was close.
Unread 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #2366
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks for the help!
Tom,

There is a lot of info on the first page like lopes mentioned. The first page is updated randomly as new info becomes available. Below is my personal recommendations. Your welcome to pick and choose to fit your needs.

1. Diagnose. Pull it as described on the first page (whether TDC or Sharpie). See where you stand. Some OPDA gears are in pretty good shape. Based on your low mileage I would expect a fairly decent gear.
2. Determine what to change. Two issues, gear wear and upper bushing lubrication failure. The FogMod (and subsequent oil cup adaption that has become popular recently) will address the upper bushing lube problem. It will not necessarily fix the gear wear.
3. Assuming the gear is okay, the FogMod is the recommended solution at this point. It is relatively inexpensive and easy to maintain. It will help with the bushing.
4. Oil of choice currently IMO is Valvoline VR1 and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck. Both are listed on the first page with the reasons why.

That said, please post your specific questions so I can include them on the first page. Sometimes I assume certain things are understood or easily found so if there is a hole or missing info let me know.
Unread 12-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #2367
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Here are a couple shots of the modified half coupling. To be clear this was not easy and I really recommend a full sized (1") coupling. To modify the half coupling I needed to destroy the 1/8 tap. It took about an hour of modification. This will likely be the only one made, though knowing me I might get a serious of taps to customize the half coupling since the finished product looks SO nice.

This bad boy is going to BillR. Notice the clearance on the bottom image. This was with an OPDA set up for the oil cup. This OPDA fits perfectly with no filing required, but it was close.
Looks great! Thanks for all your work and research on this issue.
Unread 12-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #2368
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Darn! I JUST got the grease zerk on just as everyone is changing their minds about it... good thing I didn't put any grease in it yet... I too feel very uncomfortable with not knowing if i'm putting in enough grease... But I have no Idea how I'm going to source these parts for the oil cup...

For the cup, this one seems to be the only one available to me http://www.ebay.ca/itm/8mm-Thread-L-...item45fee0d054

looks questionable at best, specifications are vague. AND I have no way to get the 1/4-28 to 1/8-27 adaptor

What do you guys think of using something like this?

This way I may have an easier time coming up with my own build since I don't have access to a lot of the parts commonly used in this thread
efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #2369
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post
...since I don't have access to a lot of the parts commonly used in this thread
What parts do you need? Maybe one of us can send you stuff. I don't know what shipping to Canada is though.

If you can't say for sure when ordering stuff, it's a risk. The grease fitting will work. The oil cup is just a better alternative.
Unread 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #2370
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post
Darn! I JUST got the grease zerk on just as everyone is changing their minds about it... good thing I didn't put any grease in it yet... I too feel very uncomfortable with not knowing if i'm putting in enough grease... But I have no Idea how I'm going to source these parts for the oil cup...

For the cup, this one seems to be the only one available to me http://www.ebay.ca/itm/8mm-Thread-L-...item45fee0d054

looks questionable at best, specifications are vague. AND I have no way to get the 1/4-28 to 1/8-27 adaptor

What do you guys think of using something like this?

This way I may have an easier time coming up with my own build since I don't have access to a lot of the parts commonly used in this thread
That 8mm is equivalent to 5/16”. That is pretty big for the area you are tapping into. I know, I used a 5/16-24 tap for the fitting I used & it fit but was tight. I was actually considering a 1/8 pipe fitting but that is even bigger, like an 11/16” drill. Look at post # 1061 in this thread to read what I did. Also pictured are the parts I sourced from McFadden-Dale Hardware. The first one listed is the oil cup I used. The item at the bottom is a 1/8 compression to 1/8 pipe thread adapter that has the 5/16-24 straight thread that goes into the OPDA. The ¼-28 fitting the Willy found is definitely a better way to go. If you can’t find a 1/8 pipe oil cup locally, I would source one from a US supplier. Same for the all important ¼-28-to-pipe adapter. Willy listed these on post # 2355.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.