2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 157 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #2341
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
Exactly...which is why I sourced an OPDA gear from an '04 and earlier unit to replace mine. The '04 and earlier models rarely seem to have had the gear wear problem - that seems to have started with the '05+ parts.
I'm wondering if the crown gear has any wear issues? Maybe getting a pre-05 or crown gear would be a better option.

I'd like to have more data before making that claim though. I guess at this point it can't be any worse.

Unread 12-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #2342
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

just pulled mine on a 05 rubi yesterday id post pics but not sure how to on a phone, gear looks good. only has normal wear signs but nothing out of the ordinary. engine has 10,590 miles. is there a part number for the 04 gear? also checked how it spins and it is nice and smooth. how often do you guys think i should check it for wear?
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #2343
dustinweller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dealer called and let me know that the parts have came in to replace my gear. I have asked that they hold on to my gear so I can check for what wear is evident and to also photo graph it incase of a major failure down the road. as soon as i figure out how to post a pic of it I will.... Greatly appreciate the amount of time everyone has put into this to come up with a fix. Just hope i dont need it.....
dustinweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #2344
rnorma1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Changed the oil in my 05 Unlimited today and pulled my OPDA for the first time since installing a new one modified with the "Fog Mod" about 5k miles ago or so. The Jeep has about 66k miles on it.

The gear on my original part had more wear than I would have liked but it didn't look like some of the really bad gears I've seen here. Still, not great though. Like everyone else, I was worried the wear pattern in the cam gear would wear through the new OPDA gear too fast.

I noticed some oil in the cup upon taking the cover off but I think it's from the aeroshell grease. The gear looked really good actually so I'm happy about that.

I took it all apart and the shaft had the dark staining at the top that everyone else seems to get but it was still smooth with no scoring.

I reassembled it, greased it up and put it back in and refilled with Mobil 1 5w-40 TD oil. I'll check it again next oil change.

On a side note, I've gotten really efficient at removing, disassembling, reassembling and reinstalling the part. I use the sharpie pen marker method and just reuse the original marks from when I put it in.

Overall, I am satisfied with this solution at this point. This problem came to light here on the forum directly after I bought my 05 and I was fit to be tied at that point. All this time later, it does seem like a problem that can be managed after all. I just really wish someone would come out with a plug and play replacement gear already.
rnorma1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #2345
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So, I have an 06 LJ. I've half watched this issue and half had my head in the sand. Should I bother to go to the dealer our just order a new one? If I order one, where from and what is the current recommended mod? Also, I'm at 90k, so how can I see if PO has done anything for this? Thanks for any assist!
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #2346
Bigbob

I just pulled mine a year after doing the Fog "grease" Mod last year. I greased it once during that time. Cold morning last week and the monkey was howlling. I am getting a new OPDA and doing the oil cup mod to it. I really think that is the way to go.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #2347
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I just pulled mine a year after doing the Fog "grease" Mod last year. I greased it once during that time. Cold morning last week and the monkey was howlling. I am getting a new OPDA and doing the oil cup mod to it. I really think that is the way to go.
Why do you think the oil cup is better?
Unread 12-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #2348
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailJ View Post
So, I have an 06 LJ. I've half watched this issue and half had my head in the sand. Should I bother to go to the dealer our just order a new one? If I order one, where from and what is the current recommended mod? Also, I'm at 90k, so how can I see if PO has done anything for this? Thanks for any assist!
I would just pull it yourself and check, I was like you and avoiding the issue for about a year now and finally pulled and checked it, super easy to do thanks to the info in this thread. I "believe" if it there has been previous work done by the dealer the gear would have a second pin hole drilled in it, been awhile since I read this whole thing but I think I remember reading that at some point. Luckily my inspection went well, gear had mostly even wear but two of the teeth had longer wear patterns
then the rest which leads me to believe ill develop the problem eventually. It also had zero resistance while spinning and from what I can tell is the original OPDA, I'm at 72,000 miles and I'm just going to keep checking it regularly, already have the spare ready to go if/when I need it.

Edit: the first couple of pages of this thread will be able to tell you how to check it and where to order a new one.
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #2349
paulpa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How many miles between greasing it,thank you
paulpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #2350
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hate to hear this, correct me but I remember your Jeep as being low mileage, how many miles since you modded yours? Are you you saying that it needed greasing more often?
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #2351
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I ran all last winter with the grease and had no issues. Remember that other stuff makes noise in the cold too. Fan shroud, belts, angry sparrows. I do think that oil would be better for the cold morning, but I have no personal experience confirming that. If the shaft is spinning freely than the grease is working. We have several update reports with the grease saying just that, but I can't say how many winters we've been through.

I run the oil now just to avoid the questions of frequency of greasing and how much to grease. Based on my observations I still recommend 1-2 times a year with 1 small pump. With the oil cup you look to see if it's low and add a little. Much simpler, but I don't know if I'm overlooking something.

I won't say one is better than the other. Provided you're using a quality grease, I think they both will work.
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #2352
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
Why do you think the oil cup is better?
For 75-100 years there has been distributor assemblies using oil as a lube. It's just natural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpa View Post
How many miles between greasing it,thank you
Probably about 2000 miles, I drive very little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Hate to hear this, correct me but I remember your Jeep as being low mileage, how many miles since you modded yours? Are you you saying that it needed greasing more often?
I doubt it needs more grease, just a better lube method. Yes, low miles. I have about 4,000 miles on it since I modded it. 22,500 miles on the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I ran all last winter with the grease and had no issues. Remember that other stuff makes noise in the cold too. Fan shroud, belts, angry sparrows. I do think that oil would be better for the cold morning, but I have no personal experience confirming that. If the shaft is spinning freely than the grease is working. We have several update reports with the grease saying just that, but I can't say how many winters we've been through.

I run the oil now just to avoid the questions of frequency of greasing and how much to grease. Based on my observations I still recommend 1-2 times a year with 1 small pump. With the oil cup you look to see if it's low and add a little. Much simpler, but I don't know if I'm overlooking something.

I won't say one is better than the other. Provided you're using a quality grease, I think they both will work.
It was definitely the shaft howling. The noise only lasted a couple seconds each morning.
Here's why I like the oil over grease. After I cleaned mine, re-polished the shaft and reassembled it I noted the shaft spun pretty easy with just some light oil on it, free and easy. I greased it before putting it back in the Jeep and it spun hard. The temperature was about 60 degrees, not real cold. Grease will lube it, oil will lube it better.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #2353
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think the howling is due to a binding in the OPDA shaft. Normally this is a result of wear and/or sludge build up. If you had howling after 2000 miles I don't think it was wear or sludge. I think it was too much grease.

You only need a very little bit of grease. There should be no restrictions. For the OPDA's I've done, I've compared pre-grease resistance to post grease resistance and there should be no noticeable difference. This is one of the main problems with the grease method and why I recommend infrequent greasings with only a very small amount of grease.

What was the grease you used? I dealt with temps between 20-30F in Baltimore last winter. I believe I was using a small amount of Aeroshell during that time.

I do agree that the oil cup eliminates all this doubt and confusion. It is also cheaper and the long run. I don't necessarily think you need to change from the grease method to oil if you use minimal grease and Aeroshell. For new FogModder's I would recommend the oil cup mod going forward.
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #2354
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So for us wanting to try oil cup with existing FogMod units, it would be advised to get as much of the aeroshell grease out of the unit before switching to oil?
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #2355
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
So for us wanting to try oil cup with existing FogMod units, it would be advised to get as much of the aeroshell grease out of the unit before switching to oil?
Chase, here are some tips for you and others I've done the mod for.

Below is a repost of the required parts to modify the FogMod I've done based on the 1/4-28 grease fitting thread design. If you haven't used a 1/4-28 thread, adjust the adapter to fit your thread pattern.

Do your best to get out the Aeroshell. If there is some Aeroshell in the reservoir I don't think there will be a big issue. Some degreaser should work fine. There is a possibility that the grease can block the hole in the bushing so you want to make some effort to remove it. Aeroshell is very good grease so if it mixes with the oil I don't think there will be a problem.

There may be some minor modification necessary to the adapter and coupling. For the most part I tried to center the grease fitting to the area provided so it may be tight to get the adapter and coupling to fit. I had to modify mine and I would expect most if not all the previous FogMod's to require the same filing. The McMaster parts are aluminum so they will file easily. It may also be easier to file under the target wheel housing instead. So you will need a file (there is a chance you won't, but unlikely).

*From here on, placement for FogMod's with the grease fitting will be a little lower so you don't have to worry about it.

I had to add a small washer as a spacer between the adapter and the threads. The adapter gets a little tight will a 1/16 space so I filled that with a tiny washer.

All said some minor (IMO) work is required. For those of you comfortable with greasing 1-2 a year with only a small amount I don't think there is a reason to change if the work described above to too difficult. People have different levels of expertise and comfort and I understand that. That said if you are savvy enough to pull it and install it the work should not be difficult. Two important things to remember.

1. Be careful with aluminum thread. Tight, but not too tight. If you think it's tight enough it probably is!
2. Degreaser may remove sharpie marks so be careful. Put the lid on before spraying and watch you LDI label. Those numbers can rub off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I got the parts from McMaster Carr. The below images are for those with a 1/4-28 FogMOD'ed fitting.

44705K36 Low-pressure Aluminum Threaded Pipe Fitting, 1/8" Pipe Size, Coupling, 15/16"l (.93"), 19/32"od
1227K16 Threaded Elbow-style Oil-hole Cover, 1/8"-27 Npt Thread, 1/4" L Thread, 25/32" H O'all
9006T11 Grease Fitting Adapter, Stl, Straight, 1/4"-28 Taper Male X 1/8" Nptf Fem
44665K111 Standard-wall Aluminum Threaded Pipe Nipple, 1/8" Pipe Sz, Fully Threaded, 3/4" Length, Sch 40

The below images show fitment. They are not tightened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.