2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 156 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #2326
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinweller View Post
Hello to all.... after reading the hunderads of posts and looking over the wonderful photos everyone has taken I'm still left with 1 question. Is the new sensor P#CDC0E051AB (Cam Sensor and Oil pump Drive Gear Package) that my dealer has informed me will be used on my 2005 TJ due to a recall going to be a "GOOD" replacement part. currently I have around 77K miles and have no problems with whats in there. Went to the dealer today, jeep was placed on a DRB III scan tool and was told that I had 1deg of "SLOP" in relationship to the cam/oil gear. Was told that they were still going to replace it due to the recall but would take about 3-4 days for the part to show up.

After reading all this information and being put into information overload I'm left wondering "Is the new part there puting in going to be good"?????
It will be exactly the same as the one that came out. Flawed in some way. You options are:
1. Do nothing and hope it lasts another 77K
2. Fix the shaft binding issue to eliminate one known problem (estimated cost $20-30 in parts to do yourself not counting grease)

This thread's purpose is to identify the problems, offer solutions, and document results. Welcome to the club. Everything you should need for reference will be on the first page, but we encourage questions.

The part number the dealer gave seems different than the PN on the first page. I would clarify with the dealer.

Unread 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #2327
dustinweller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The P# I have been given came off the recall notice which I requested a copy of;

P# CDC0E051AB Cam Sensor and Oil Pump Drive Gear Package

Each package contains the following components:
1 Gear, camshaft sensor and oil pump drive
1 pin,roll
1 washer,thrust
1 seal,camshaft sensor and oil pump drive
1 #10 drill bit
1 instructions, drive gear drilling

Are these the same kits that were getting installed before?
dustinweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #2328
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The P# I have been given came off the recall notice which I requested a copy of;

P# CDC0E051AB Cam Sensor and Oil Pump Drive Gear Package

Each package contains the following components:
1 Gear, camshaft sensor and oil pump drive
1 pin,roll
1 washer,thrust
1 seal,camshaft sensor and oil pump drive
1 #10 drill bit
1 instructions, drive gear drilling

Are these the same kits that were getting installed before?
That sounds like the rebuild kit for the gear. I'll see if I can track down the old post with that number. The drill bit gives it away. I would ask for a completely new OPDA. This way you are getting a new shaft and new bushings instead of a gear replacement. I may be wrong, but see if you can just get a new complete assembly.
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #2329
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger

That sounds like the rebuild kit for the gear. I'll see if I can track down the old post with that number. The drill bit gives it away. I would ask for a completely new OPDA. This way you are getting a new shaft and new bushings instead of a gear replacement. I may be wrong, but see if you can just get a new complete assembly.
Of you're going to bother, I absolutely agree that you should replace with a whole new unit, even if you have to spring for it yourself. To do otherwise is a waste of time and effort, IMO, unless it's establishing a record of Chrysler accepting culpability for down the road. Even then, I think it's an exercise in futility. Just mho.

On another note, anyone have thoughts about the "1* of slop" in relation to the cam gear?
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #2330
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Below are a couple part numbers I've found.

This is for the rebuild kit - CDC0E51AB
This if for the complete OPDA - 53010624AC
Gasket part number - J3181288

Let the dealer know that there is a shaft binding issue also. It can happen at low mileage or high mileage. Mine happened at 60K, but there have been reports here as early as 13K. The catastrophic link on the first page I believe was low mileage. Edit: (nope 93K)

It's great that they will replace the gear, but try to get them to replace the OPDA. Failing that I would recommend seriously considering a new OPDA. They run around $120 now from Dodge-wholesale.com (link first page).

Regarding the gear replacement, the wear is occurring on OPDA's outside this imaginary recall range. There isn't a range of gears going bad. Gears are going bad on several OPDA's in all engine build date ranges. Take a look on the first page and review the link for the first discussion thread. Many members here have pulled their OPDA with premature wear. The dealer will likely deny any issue so most likely you will be on your own. Be as informed as possible.

I was very upset when it first happened and you are fortunate to have some advanced warning. Have them do everything they can. Some guys have managed to get full cam replacements while others have been ignored. Good luck either way.
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #2331
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
On another note, anyone have thoughts about the "1* of slop" in relation to the cam gear?
Thinking out loud, there has to be some kind of backlash for the gears to coexist. I suppose 1° is out of spec or close to it. More backlash would indicate more wear.

I assume this is what the dealer did to ensure my camshaft was okay.

From all the Internet info I've read the computer can self-correct. I would think you would get a CEL once it fell out of that range.

At any rate, good for the dealer to do something. Some look at you like you have two heads. Mine tried to say it was electrical.

We already know the housing has a lubrication issue. Replacing the gear without addressing the upper bushing is buying time. The fix is easy enough and added insurance.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #2332
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

I may have missed this but I wonder why you couldnt just put a zerk where the factory plug is?
jutgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #2333
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutgin View Post
I may have missed this but I wonder why you couldnt just put a zerk where the factory plug is?
Check the Q&A on the first page.
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #2334
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Went to the dealer today, jeep was placed on a DRB III scan tool and was told that I had 1deg of "SLOP" in relationship to the cam/oil gear.
One degree is actually pretty good. The TSB says anything under 2 degrees is acceptable. Chances are your cam gear and OPDA drive gear are OK. Personally, if it were me: I'd want to see both gears, and assuming the OPDA gear looks ok, I'd swap it to the new OPDA assembly since it clearly has the proper alloying/hardening - again, assuming it looks good.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #2335
dustinweller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Per the dealer they did comfirm that up to 2 degs of backlash or "SLOP" is ok. It seems that only if you go past this point is where the new cam shaft will come into the picture. While the service tech was away I talked to the tech about the reasons for the replacement of the gear. He said that the gear was to brittle (bernell rating to high) causing the gear to fail at the roll pin area. Understanding metallurgy I can see where this happens. What disturbs me is the other issue at hand with the un lubed bearing. I have read through these fourms where it seems to be a hit or miss thing. Just havent figured ot if I'm a hit or a miss.....
dustinweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #2336
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
That & the word "recall". Mine had the gear replaced under the "recall" actually a TSB, & the replacement had excessive & very uneven wear at less than 20,000 miles. What does that say about the replacement gear?
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #2337
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Well the half coupling didn't work. Not without some modification. It literally is a half coupling. So the one side will thread normally. The opposite side is threaded in the same direction so it would require a left hand thread nipple. I'm going to see it I can "retrain" the opposite threads tomorrow by chasing it with a right hand tap. Although I suspect it will be mangled it just has to be good enough to be tight and not leak. I think since it's aluminum I might get lucky.

The only other alternative to adapt the FogMod is to shorten the nipple and normal coupling so everything mates well. I don't have the tools for that without it looking like Frankenstein.

Update again tomorrow.
Stay away from the half coupling. Way to much work to modify. It's probably easier to trim the nipple and regular coupling. I'm going to leave it as shown on the previous post. I'll check for looseness every once in a while.
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #2338
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
The replacement had excessive & very uneven wear at less than 20,000 miles. What does that say about the replacement gear?
This is one of my major concerns - how do we know the replacement parts (i.e. the OPDA housing and various sub-components) are any good? The variation we see here in these threads in terms of people who have an issue/don't have an issue and the varying types of wear says to me that the supplier doesn't really have their process in control too well.
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #2339
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77

This is one of my major concerns - how do we know the replacement parts (i.e. the OPDA housing and various sub-components) are any good?
We don't.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #2340
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
We don't.
Exactly...which is why I sourced an OPDA gear from an '04 and earlier unit to replace mine. The '04 and earlier models rarely seem to have had the gear wear problem - that seems to have started with the '05+ parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.