2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 155 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #2311
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
So with such a good pattern on your gear riding on the old cam makes me feel a lot better & pretty much dismisses the idea that the only way to get proper wear on the new gear to replace the cam.
You and me both. I was holding off check due to fear. I was pleasantly surprised. To be clear I wasn't redlining either. I take it pretty easy on the RPM's.

Unread 11-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #2312
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hoping mine looks the same way! Close as you can get to "problem solved" with the factory OPDA!
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #2313
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
Who are these members...?
Yes who are these members willing to mod the OPDA? For a price ofcourse, anyone?
jutgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #2314
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutgin View Post
Yes who are these members willing to mod the OPDA? For a price ofcourse, anyone?
PM sent.
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #2315
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Willy,
Up & running with your oil cup mod?
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #2316
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Willy,
Up & running with your oil cup mod?
Yeah. Today was the first day. I didn't check for oil overflow. I'll check tomorrow. Otherwise no issues. I did get my "just changed the oil" tick.
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #2317
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I did get my "just changed the oil" tick.
That has to be the most baffling thing I've ever seen on a combustble engine. Fresh oil = ticking at start up. It makes me not want to change my oil!

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #2318
98xjroks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So with such a good pattern on your gear riding on the old cam makes me feel a lot better & pretty much dismisses the idea that the only way to get proper wear on the new gear to replace the cam.

Amen to that! I was originally concerned with this simply because the previous owner reinstalled the OE OPDA with 45k in the new engine. I was deeply relieved when I saw that the cam gear still looked new.
One thing that I would recommend to everyone is to coat the OPDA gear with engine assembly lube prior to reinstalling it.
98xjroks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #2319
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Yeah. Today was the first day. I didn't check for oil overflow. I'll check tomorrow. Otherwise no issues. I did get my "just changed the oil" tick.
It might just be the "you own a 4.0 tick"
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #2320
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed2566 View Post
It might just be the "you own a 4.0 tick"
No, I know exactly what he's talking about. A loud tick at start up that occurs more commonly for about the first 250 - 500 miles after an oil change.

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 01:23 AM   #2321
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98xjroks

One thing that I would recommend to everyone is to coat the OPDA gear with engine assembly lube prior to reinstalling it.
What exactly do you think this will do? Plus there are several types of "assembly lube" from oils to pastes, each with a different purposes. They are all either for torquing, protection during installation or assembly, or for initial lubrication. All of which are not needed when reinstalling a used OPDA.

No trying to bust your balls, but it would be nice to keep this thread/process clean and simple and stuck to the facts, without any extra Chicken Little induced processes.

Thanks
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #2322
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I received the half coupling today. I'll try to get pics up tonight with a mock assembly. It's raining here so I'll have to wait a few days to install.
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #2323
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post
That has to be the most baffling thing I've ever seen on a combustble engine. Fresh oil = ticking at start up. It makes me not want to change my oil!
I get a tick for only a few seconds right after the oil change. Also no tick with Mobil 1 TDT, but a lot more ticks with the Valvoline VR1
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #2324
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well the half coupling didn't work. Not without some modification. It literally is a half coupling. So the one side will thread normally. The opposite side is threaded in the same direction so it would require a left hand thread nipple. I'm going to see it I can "retrain" the opposite threads tomorrow by chasing it with a right hand tap. Although I suspect it will be mangled it just has to be good enough to be tight and not leak. I think since it's aluminum I might get lucky.

The only other alternative to adapt the FogMod is to shorten the nipple and normal coupling so everything mates well. I don't have the tools for that without it looking like Frankenstein.

Update again tomorrow.
Unread 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #2325
dustinweller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hello to all.... after reading the hunderads of posts and looking over the wonderful photos everyone has taken I'm still left with 1 question. Is the new sensor P#CDC0E051AB (Cam Sensor and Oil pump Drive Gear Package) that my dealer has informed me will be used on my 2005 TJ due to a recall going to be a "GOOD" replacement part. currently I have around 77K miles and have no problems with whats in there. Went to the dealer today, jeep was placed on a DRB III scan tool and was told that I had 1deg of "SLOP" in relationship to the cam/oil gear. Was told that they were still going to replace it due to the recall but would take about 3-4 days for the part to show up.

After reading all this information and being put into information overload I'm left wondering "Is the new part there puting in going to be good"?????
dustinweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.