2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 153 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #2281
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutgin View Post
How do you mod a unit? my brain hurts.
All the instructions are on the first page I believe. Lots of info to go through. I've been told it isn't difficult, I lacked the tools and balls to mod my own though At the time units were very hard to come by and I didn't wanna chance ruining one.

Unread 11-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #2282
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How do you mod a unit? my brain hurts.
See post #8. There are members who will do it for you, too.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #2283
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well I got the screaming monkey this morning, my 06 LJ Rubi only has 20,211 miles and I have been running VR-1 oil for the last 2 changes, good thing I bought a new OPDA awhile ago. Is it easier to replace using the marking method or TDC method, thanks for any help.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #2284
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Willy, that gear looks great. I don’t remember, how bad was the old one when you replaced it with this OPDA?

Monitor oil coming over the top of the bushing. I got a little almost immediately. If I let it go it seems like when the level in the cup gets down to a certain point it more or less stops. When I first installed it I wanted the cup to stay full so I was adding a little from time to time to keep it full. That only added to the “overflow” so I cut back & have not added any for some time now. Of course at some point the level in the cup could be no higher than the hole in the bushing & little if any oil would be getting to the bushing & it is hard to tell exactly where that point is.

Here is a refresher on mine. The first one shows the oil in the top when I pulled it recently to replace the gear. Because of concerns mentioned at the time by someone I added the support under the fittings. The screw doubles as a way to keep the overflow oil from dripping out.
p8160165.jpg   p8160180.jpg   p8160199.jpg   p5110138.jpg  
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #2285
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey guys, I need to replace my OPDA with a new one, which I have, do I use the TDC method or the sharpie method. Thanks.
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #2286
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides
Hey guys, I need to replace my OPDA with a new one, which I have, do I use the TDC method or the sharpie method. Thanks.
New one requires TDC.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #2287
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
New one requires TDC.
Thanks, as simple as it sounds, or should I let dealer install it?
Unread 11-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #2288
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyesides View Post
Thanks, as simple as it sounds, or should I let dealer install it?
Simple as it sounds, though getting it precise can take some fine fidgeting. Some get a CEL after the replacement and need to really tweak the adjustment in teeny-tiny increments. If you have any trouble with it, look for Rubi4mymrs post(s) early (first page or two) in this thread for fine-tuning it. Here's a recent short thread by a fellow who some frustrations that I think (hope) he got got worked out stuck-road-need-help.

― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

Unread 11-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #2289
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Here are some update shots. I pulled the OPDA during an oil change before winter. These results are with 78598 miles. This is nearly 10K more miles than back in March 2011.

[Upper shaft wiped with rag. I'm still not impressed with the discoloration.

mine had similar discoloration after about 10K. I think you'll find it's staining caused by the 5% Molybdenum Disulphide thats in the AeroShell 33MS grease and is not caused by friction, heat or wear and therefore is of no concern.
Unread 11-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #2290
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Simple as it sounds, though getting it precise can take some fine fidgeting. Some get a CEL after the replacement and need to really tweak the adjustment in teeny-tiny increments. If you have any trouble with it, look for Rubi4mymrs post(s) early (first page or two) in this thread for fine-tuning it. Here's a recent short thread by a fellow who some frustrations that I think (hope) he got got worked out stuck-road-need-help.
Thank you, guess I will take it to dealer in the morning, probably will charge an hour worth of labor, oh well, better than messing something up plus I will have a paper trail.
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #2291
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

How do you think mine looks?
jutgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #2292
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't have any noise from mine at all, but I ordered a new unit to Fogmod and replace. Because it's a new one, I need to have the dealer install it?
Why is TDC required for a new one but not when reinstalling the current one? What's different?
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #2293
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How do you think mine looks?
That looks pretty bad. Did you get a look at the gear on the cam while you had it out?
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #2294
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
That looks pretty bad. Did you get a look at the gear on the cam while you had it out?
Yes, couldnt get it to come out clear in a picture. Although it looked great compared to this.
So what causes this abnormal wear? I was thinking this was all about the top bushing not being lubed, how does this gear wear abnormal?
jutgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #2295
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, couldnt get it to come out clear in a picture. Although it looked great compared to this.
So what causes this abnormal wear? I was thinking this was all about the top bushing not being lubed, how does this gear wear abnormal?
Two separate issues. The FogMod is the easy fix. Finding the culprit for the wear issue is the mystery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.