2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 152 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 11-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #2266
dandaman99701
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I will say hello to Santa, i visit him almost every weekend with my daughter. The Jeep dealership is in Fairbanks, which is a 15 mile journey. I am looking to trade in the Alaska wheeling for the Arizona wheeling and i want to address this OPDA issue before i hit the road.

dandaman99701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #2267
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Does the factory grease need to be removed somehow before putting in Aeroshell 33MS?
efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #2268
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post
Does the factory grease need to be removed somehow before putting in Aeroshell 33MS?
The "factory grease" is some sort of oil-soaked packing material resembling cotton or flax. I picked out as much as I could.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #2269
Bigbob

Quote:
It's like a wax. Drill the holes ETC them you can just heat the area up with a cigarette lighter or something and the stuff just melts out. Flush it with brake cleaner. I think I just ran hot water over mine and it came clean.

Also, before you reinstall the shaft back into the housing pump grease through and get out the mess which may include old wax and possibly metal pieces from the drilling and threading process.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #2270
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What I do is drill and tap the hole for the grease fitting. If possible I use a toothpick and pull out what I can to show people exactly what it is. I will purge the reservoir with degreaser. I don't know if I would recommend brake cleaner since I'm not sure how it will affect the rubber seal inside. Once clean, I fill the reservoir with grease with the factory hole open so it can purge.
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #2271
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some update shots. I pulled the OPDA during an oil change before winter. These results are with 78598 miles. This is nearly 10K more miles than my last inspection back in March 2011.

Gear wear looks good. Maybe a little worse than previous pics. It's so close I can't say for certain.

Shaft pics. Scoring and discolored. I think there was some leftover Aeroshell in the oil groove.

Upper shaft wiped with rag. I'm still not impressed with the discoloration.

With the OPDA apart, I though I'd take the opportunity to convert to the oil cup. I think it will eliminate all the guess work with grease. I used the existing FogMod hole and bought the fittings from McMasterCarr.com. Because of the placement of the original FogMod fitting hole (a little too close to the target wheel housing) I had to file down the edges of the grease fitting adapter.

I wiped down the shaft with 5w40TDT and filled the reservoir. I used an old syringe for giving medicine to my cats. I precision oiler from Radio Shack could work too.

Unread 11-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #2272
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I used the existing FogMod hole and bought the fittings from McMasterCarr.com.
Willy, could you please reference those parts again? Click didn't work.
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #2273
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That oil cup looks sweet! May have to get this done.
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #2274
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post
Willy, could you please reference those parts again? Click didn't work.
Link fixed. Here's another. Page 75, post 1117.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...l#post11433040

Also, first page updated slightly. The results page won't allow any more pics so I'll be using links. If anyone has any new or updated images let me know.
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #2275
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
That oil cup looks sweet! May have to get this done.
For those of you with the FogMod who are interested, there may be some clearance issues due to the grease fitting placement. You may have to modify the adapter to fit. I don't know it the oil cup is a required change. Rubi4MyMrs has had it for several months with no issues and with the recent number of grease questions I think it's a better alternative.

I was really happy with the gear wear though. I think the 5w40TDT is good stuff. Ultimately it may have more to due with camshaft gear damage.
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #2276
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Willy, your gear looks like it's wearing good, just a small wear pattern in the middle of the teeth which is what you want.

I think the oil in the bushing will be better than grease. Let us know how it works for you. I still haven't gotten around to getting my oil cup installed. I wondered why you put in the coupling between the oil cup and the other fitting? Was it to give more "storage" space for the oil? Looks like it would be better to not have the oil cup sticking out so much, if possible. Especially since it's threaded into aluminum. Could a guy get an oil cup like you have, but with female threads and screw it directly on the fitting without the female/female coupling?
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #2277
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
Willy, your gear looks like it's wearing good, just a small wear pattern in the middle of the teeth which is what you want.

I think the oil in the bushing will be better than grease. Let us know how it works for you. I still haven't gotten around to getting my oil cup installed. I wondered why you put in the coupling between the oil cup and the other fitting? Was it to give more "storage" space for the oil? Looks like it would be better to not have the oil cup sticking out so much, if possible. Especially since it's threaded into aluminum. Could a guy get an oil cup like you have, but with female threads and screw it directly on the fitting without the female/female coupling?
The adapter has female threads, but I couldn't fit the oil cup directly. I figured when I tightened everything down it would be closer together. I did find a half coupling that will get the oil cup closer. It's in with the other MMC linked parts. If I had it to do over I would trim the nipple and use a half coupling. That will get it real close. The whole extension is aluminum too so it have minimal weight. I don't think there will be a problem as is, I just wish I had of thought of the half coupling prior.
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #2278
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

This is all a bit overwhelming after just reading it.
I dont know where to begin
jutgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #2279
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

One thing for sure that gear wear on willydigger's unit looks great! I may stick with the Mobil 1 TDT now. I'm going to pull my OPDA again next oil change for pics. That will be 10,000 miles since the modded unit was in place.
Unread 11-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #2280
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
One thing for sure that gear wear on willydigger's unit looks great! I may stick with the Mobil 1 TDT now. I'm going to pull my OPDA again next oil change for pics. That will be 10,000 miles since the modded unit was in place.
How do you mod a unit? my brain hurts.
jutgin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.