2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 151 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2251 of 5448 Old 11-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,200
This is from earlier this yr.
Dorman has a complete ’04 OPDA with a gear that is supposed to work by re drilling it.
Rock Auto has them I think the # is DORMAN 689-200. It is called Camshaft Synchronizer. It is $32.


Not the same as the Crown gear.


Also note that for either gear you don't have to drill a new hole through (into) the shaft.

Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2252 of 5448 Old 11-23-2011, 06:09 PM
efm-7
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 89
Hey guys,
So I got my new OPDA today but I'm not sure how to get the roll pin out without pounding on it. I'm afraid that if I do that, then i'd snap the housing in half.

How did you guys get it out?

-Thanks!
efm-7 is offline  
post #2253 of 5448 Old 11-23-2011, 06:17 PM
bonza
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post
Hey guys,
So I got my new OPDA today but I'm not sure how to get the roll pin out without pounding on it. I'm afraid that if I do that, then i'd snap the housing in half.

How did you guys get it out?

-Thanks!
look at section 7 under modification on the first post

use a pin punch and a hammer with the OPDA in a vice, then tap out the roll pin

the pin punch should be about 0.5mm below the diameter of the roll pin hole

"I like a man who grins when he fights"
— Winston Churchill..
bonza is offline  
post #2254 of 5448 Old 11-23-2011, 06:18 PM
ChaseB
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post
Hey guys,
So I got my new OPDA today but I'm not sure how to get the roll pin out without pounding on it. I'm afraid that if I do that, then i'd snap the housing in half.

How did you guys get it out?

-Thanks!
I put mine in a vise and knocked it out with a punch and a hammer

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
2005 TJ X (daily driver)
ChaseB is offline  
post #2255 of 5448 Old 11-23-2011, 06:50 PM
BillR
Registered User
 
BillR's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 1,973
If it's a new unit, why do you ned to remove the gear? Did I miss something?

'11 JK Unlimited Sport S, stock for now...
'08 JK X, OEM rear locker and swaybar disco!
BillR is offline  
post #2256 of 5448 Old 11-23-2011, 07:08 PM
flying_bosun
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 34*24'N, 119*42'W
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
If it's a new unit, why do you ned to remove the gear? Did I miss something?
So you can remove the shaft and drill the bushing as part of the mod. You definitely want to go back to and re-read about it.

Gear-Calculator Stu Can Help You Part Names and Numbers Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
flying_bosun is offline  
post #2257 of 5448 Old 11-23-2011, 07:10 PM
efm-7
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 89
It's to FogMod it. Even though it's new, it still needs to be modded. I got the pin out by setting it on a 2x4 and punched the pin out.

To be honest, I don't even know if mine is going bad, I'm just doing this out of paranoia. I'm assuming it is because it's got over 100k miles on it.
efm-7 is offline  
post #2258 of 5448 Old 11-25-2011, 04:39 AM
paulpa
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: coventry
Posts: 17
I pulled my opda yesterday and replaced it with a new unit,although I found unusual wear on the gear and a groove cut in the shaft the assembly seemed to turn smooth with no binding.I have a 2005 wrangler with 62,000 miles and missed the recall date by 4 days.I will be ordering another new unit and doing the modifications to it,my question is when I get the new unit and dissasemble it can I reuse the same rollpin to put the gear back on or should I go with a new one?thank you
paulpa is offline  
post #2259 of 5448 Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
willydigger
Web Wheeler
 
willydigger's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,575
You can use the same roll pin. Size 3/16 punch. Make sure the gear goes back on the same way. The hole is offset on the shaft so if you put the gear on backwards it will wedge and eventually break something. It will be pretty obvious if the gear in on wrong. Look in the hole and if you see any gear on the other end it's wrong.
willydigger is offline  
post #2260 of 5448 Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM
dandaman99701
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 32
I'm going to chime in here with a couple of questions of my own on this issue. I'm sure my question has been covered already but with 2 small children at home i dont have the luxury of time to read every post on this subject. I have read a large portion of the posts on the threads of this topic. I have a 2005 LJ Rubi which i purchased from the original owner. Original owner said they always changed oil with mobil1 full synthetic oil and i have continued to do the same. The jeep now has 52,000 miles on it and i am experiencing no issues that i atribute to the OPDA subject. I checked with the local dealer here and it appears my OPDA was replaced back in 2005 while the Jeep was still in their stock. From what i gather there was no upgrade or repair to this issue so what did they replace it with? Just another factory OPDA of the same stock? Anywho, i have a feeling that i will at some point experience an issue with this OPDA. I am very proactive in the preventative manintenence dept. so i would like to address the issue before it becomes a problem since i may be taking this Jeep on a 3500 mile journey soon. What i gather from the posts i have read here is that i should buy a stock replacement OPDA from the stealership and do the fogmod upgrade to it. Do i have this correct? Thanks in advance for any beneficial advise.
dandaman99701 is offline  
post #2261 of 5448 Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM
paulpa
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: coventry
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
You can use the same roll pin. Size 3/16 punch. Make sure the gear goes back on the same way. The hole is offset on the shaft so if you put the gear on backwards it will wedge and eventually break something. It will be pretty obvious if the gear in on wrong. Look in the hole and if you see any gear on the other end it's wrong.
Thank you,
paulpa is offline  
post #2262 of 5448 Old 11-25-2011, 10:38 AM
paulpa
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: coventry
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman99701 View Post
I'm going to chime in here with a couple of questions of my own on this issue. I'm sure my question has been covered already but with 2 small children at home i dont have the luxury of time to read every post on this subject. I have read a large portion of the posts on the threads of this topic. I have a 2005 LJ Rubi which i purchased from the original owner. Original owner said they always changed oil with mobil1 full synthetic oil and i have continued to do the same. The jeep now has 52,000 miles on it and i am experiencing no issues that i atribute to the OPDA subject. I checked with the local dealer here and it appears my OPDA was replaced back in 2005 while the Jeep was still in their stock. From what i gather there was no upgrade or repair to this issue so what did they replace it with? Just another factory OPDA of the same stock? Anywho, i have a feeling that i will at some point experience an issue with this OPDA. I am very proactive in the preventative manintenence dept. so i would like to address the issue before it becomes a problem since i may be taking this Jeep on a 3500 mile journey soon. What i gather from the posts i have read here is that i should buy a stock replacement OPDA from the stealership and do the fogmod upgrade to it. Do i have this correct? Thanks in advance for any beneficial advise.
That is my plan, I see no alternative.
paulpa is offline  
post #2263 of 5448 Old 11-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,200
dandaman,
If it’s an early ’05 it may have been part of the ones that had the gear replaced as part of the infamous E05 TSB. It was discovered early on that some gears were “bad”. The TSB went out & the dealers were instructed to replace the gears. Apparently most were still in dealer stock so they were replaced before delivery. Mine was one of those but still had premature gear wear at less than 20k miles. I would recommend you pull it for inspection before deciding what to do. It may be good & you may not benefit from a new one. Maybe just mod the one you have.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
post #2264 of 5448 Old 11-25-2011, 11:09 AM
dandaman99701
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 32
I appreciate the constructive advise. My mechanical confidence in myself does not include engine guts, i am limited to bolt-ons mainly, so i will be in contact with my trusted gear head.
dandaman99701 is offline  
post #2265 of 5448 Old 11-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler
 
Rubi4MyMrs's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trails of
Posts: 3,200
Dan, I just noticed your location. Say hi to Santa! Is there really a dealer at the (in) North Pole? Went by there on the train to Fairbanks in route to Prudhoe Bay some yrs back. I would think jeeping in AK would beat jeeping in NV. From your profile photo it looks like yours is a twin to mine.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (2 members and 1 guests)
lope , paintman1
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
2005 jeep tj needs help Smith TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 19 03-08-2013 02:49 PM
Jeep Fire - Catastophic Failure tjone2 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 83 07-11-2012 08:01 AM
Help jeep is possessed. electrical failure? btn2020 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 11-22-2009 03:44 AM
Emissions Failure : 89 Jeep HC & CO sports100 YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 04-30-2009 10:48 AM
2005 Jeep COLORS????? rem TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 08-21-2004 07:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome