2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 151 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 11-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #2251
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

This is from earlier this yr.
Dorman has a complete ’04 OPDA with a gear that is supposed to work by re drilling it.
Rock Auto has them I think the # is DORMAN 689-200. It is called Camshaft Synchronizer. It is $32.

Not the same as the Crown gear.

Also note that for either gear you don't have to drill a new hole through (into) the shaft.

Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #2252
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

Hey guys,
So I got my new OPDA today but I'm not sure how to get the roll pin out without pounding on it. I'm afraid that if I do that, then i'd snap the housing in half.

How did you guys get it out?

-Thanks!
efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #2253
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post
Hey guys,
So I got my new OPDA today but I'm not sure how to get the roll pin out without pounding on it. I'm afraid that if I do that, then i'd snap the housing in half.

-Thanks!
look at section 7 under modification on the first post

use a pin punch and a hammer with the OPDA in a vice, then tap out the roll pin

the pin punch should be about 0.5mm below the diameter of the roll pin hole
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #2254
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by efm-7 View Post
Hey guys,

-Thanks!
I put mine in a vise and knocked it out with a punch and a hammer
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #2255
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If it's a new unit, why do you ned to remove the gear? Did I miss something?
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #2256
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
If it's a new unit, why do you ned to remove the gear? Did I miss something?
So you can remove the shaft and drill the bushing as part of the mod. You definitely want to go back to and re-read about it.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #2257
efm-7
2013 JK Wrangler 

It's to FogMod it. Even though it's new, it still needs to be modded. I got the pin out by setting it on a 2x4 and punched the pin out.

To be honest, I don't even know if mine is going bad, I'm just doing this out of paranoia. I'm assuming it is because it's got over 100k miles on it.
efm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 04:39 AM   #2258
paulpa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled my opda yesterday and replaced it with a new unit,although I found unusual wear on the gear and a groove cut in the shaft the assembly seemed to turn smooth with no binding.I have a 2005 wrangler with 62,000 miles and missed the recall date by 4 days.I will be ordering another new unit and doing the modifications to it,my question is when I get the new unit and dissasemble it can I reuse the same rollpin to put the gear back on or should I go with a new one?thank you
paulpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #2259
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You can use the same roll pin. Size 3/16 punch. Make sure the gear goes back on the same way. The hole is offset on the shaft so if you put the gear on backwards it will wedge and eventually break something. It will be pretty obvious if the gear in on wrong. Look in the hole and if you see any gear on the other end it's wrong.
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #2260
dandaman99701
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm going to chime in here with a couple of questions of my own on this issue. I'm sure my question has been covered already but with 2 small children at home i dont have the luxury of time to read every post on this subject. I have read a large portion of the posts on the threads of this topic. I have a 2005 LJ Rubi which i purchased from the original owner. Original owner said they always changed oil with mobil1 full synthetic oil and i have continued to do the same. The jeep now has 52,000 miles on it and i am experiencing no issues that i atribute to the OPDA subject. I checked with the local dealer here and it appears my OPDA was replaced back in 2005 while the Jeep was still in their stock. From what i gather there was no upgrade or repair to this issue so what did they replace it with? Just another factory OPDA of the same stock? Anywho, i have a feeling that i will at some point experience an issue with this OPDA. I am very proactive in the preventative manintenence dept. so i would like to address the issue before it becomes a problem since i may be taking this Jeep on a 3500 mile journey soon. What i gather from the posts i have read here is that i should buy a stock replacement OPDA from the stealership and do the fogmod upgrade to it. Do i have this correct? Thanks in advance for any beneficial advise.
dandaman99701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #2261
paulpa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
You can use the same roll pin. Size 3/16 punch. Make sure the gear goes back on the same way. The hole is offset on the shaft so if you put the gear on backwards it will wedge and eventually break something. It will be pretty obvious if the gear in on wrong. Look in the hole and if you see any gear on the other end it's wrong.
Thank you,
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #2262
paulpa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman99701 View Post
I'm going to chime in here with a couple of questions of my own on this issue. I'm sure my question has been covered already but with 2 small children at home i dont have the luxury of time to read every post on this subject. I have read a large portion of the posts on the threads of this topic. I have a 2005 LJ Rubi which i purchased from the original owner. Original owner said they always changed oil with mobil1 full synthetic oil and i have continued to do the same. The jeep now has 52,000 miles on it and i am experiencing no issues that i atribute to the OPDA subject. I checked with the local dealer here and it appears my OPDA was replaced back in 2005 while the Jeep was still in their stock. From what i gather there was no upgrade or repair to this issue so what did they replace it with? Just another factory OPDA of the same stock? Anywho, i have a feeling that i will at some point experience an issue with this OPDA. I am very proactive in the preventative manintenence dept. so i would like to address the issue before it becomes a problem since i may be taking this Jeep on a 3500 mile journey soon. What i gather from the posts i have read here is that i should buy a stock replacement OPDA from the stealership and do the fogmod upgrade to it. Do i have this correct? Thanks in advance for any beneficial advise.
That is my plan, I see no alternative.
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #2263
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

dandaman,
If it’s an early ’05 it may have been part of the ones that had the gear replaced as part of the infamous E05 TSB. It was discovered early on that some gears were “bad”. The TSB went out & the dealers were instructed to replace the gears. Apparently most were still in dealer stock so they were replaced before delivery. Mine was one of those but still had premature gear wear at less than 20k miles. I would recommend you pull it for inspection before deciding what to do. It may be good & you may not benefit from a new one. Maybe just mod the one you have.
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #2264
dandaman99701
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the constructive advise. My mechanical confidence in myself does not include engine guts, i am limited to bolt-ons mainly, so i will be in contact with my trusted gear head.
dandaman99701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #2265
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dan, I just noticed your location. Say hi to Santa! Is there really a dealer at the (in) North Pole? Went by there on the train to Fairbanks in route to Prudhoe Bay some yrs back. I would think jeeping in AK would beat jeeping in NV. From your profile photo it looks like yours is a twin to mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.