2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 150 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 11-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #2236
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

So does anyone know the limit of ZDDP you can run with out plugging the 'cat'? Not sure if the ZR1 levels are high enough to cause problems, just thought I would ask in case there is a chance of ruining my cat convertor. TIA

Unread 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #2237
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep06
So does anyone know the limit of ZDDP you can run with out plugging the 'cat'? Not sure if the ZR1 levels are high enough to cause problems, just thought I would ask in case there is a chance of ruining my cat convertor. TIA
You are going to plug a cat way faster with bad/wrong/incorrect mixture fuel than you ever will from high zddp oil. It's a nonissue.
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #2238
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Not too mention that if the ZDDP level was an issue for a cat I'd rather replace a clogged cat than replace a 4.0l.
Unread 11-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #2239
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I have a knock with every oil change. Sometimes during cold days I'll start with a knock. I turn everything off and restart and it's fine.

I had it with 5w40, 5w30, and 10w30. It doesn't bother me at all. I plan to continue with 5w40.
Same here.
Unread 11-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #2240
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep06 View Post
The ZDDP won't plug the cat, it only renders if ineffective. So, your Jeep will run fine, you just won't pass the smog test if your area has one.
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #2241
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Seriously, mine went from sounding like it was about to throw a rod to running like a Swiss watch. I would even catch it knocking while on the hwy and do a restart at 60MPH to clear it. It's amazing what a different grade of oil and an additive can do.

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #2242
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

I still can't get behind the thick and heavy diesel oils though...I realize that oil is sufficient for full warm up temp running (right at 210 for mine) but initial start up in cold weather seems like it would be to thick. Ideally you need an oil that will for sure push throughout the motor in colder weather and lubricate properly. Anybody running the diesel oils notice a change in oil pressure? I realize the stock oil pressure gauge is **** but just wanted to know if there was higher oil pressure or not.
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #2243
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dude, just run Mobil 1 and be done with it. Yeah its expensive but it is some really good stuff and it's easy to get. I throw in a bottle of zddp plus for added protection but I don't think I need it. My opda gear and cam gear show little to no wear and my motor is silent.
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #2244
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
I still can't get behind the thick and heavy diesel oils though...I realize that oil is sufficient for full warm up temp running (right at 210 for mine) but initial start up in cold weather seems like it would be to thick. Ideally you need an oil that will for sure push throughout the motor in colder weather and lubricate properly. Anybody running the diesel oils notice a change in oil pressure? I realize the stock oil pressure gauge is **** but just wanted to know if there was higher oil pressure or not.
Mobil 1 TDT is for mixed fleet and is not a typical heavy diesel oil. It is a 5w40. Don't confuse it with traditional diesel oil. The first page has more detailed info including links to Mobil 1.

Otherwise use VR1 or an additive to your preferred oil.
Unread 11-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #2245
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've replaced my OPDA after 114,331 miles, without any extreme wear on it just normal contact patch pattern. It was just wear & tear without proper lubrication. Are there any up dated parts I can get to rebuild the old one, it's in great shape.
Just wondering Thanks.
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #2246
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing new and improved is out. You'd have to replace in kind with the same unit.

Do you have any pics of the old unit? I'd love to see the wear pattern.

Any other details you'd be willing to offer?
Oil type?
Frequency of change?
Driving habit, highway v. city?
Were you always in VT?

I was curious if cold weather starts could be a factor to premature wear. Apparently not.
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #2247
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks I've already replaced it with one from the dealer ( $140 ) I would like to rebuild the old.one

Rotella 10W-30 every 3K since 87,000K before that Castrol GTX 10W-30 ( I use my trip-ometer to help with the change's )
I mostly drive State routes with occasional Interstate driving ( 5 to 10 over the limit )
Yes it's been a Vermont driving Jeep
I'll have the pix up shortly for you Willydigger!
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #2248
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvanus View Post
Thanks I've already replaced it with one from the dealer ( $140 ) I would like to rebuild the old.one

Rotella 10W-30 every 3K since 87,000K before that Castrol GTX 10W-30 ( I use my trip-ometer to help with the change's )
I mostly drive State routes with occasional Interstate driving ( 5 to 10 over the limit )
Yes it's been a Vermont driving Jeep
I'll have the pix up shortly for you Willydigger!
There is nothing easily obtainable to replace the old one. You'd have to source aftermarket bushings and get a new gear. It's easier just to toss it and spend the $140. If you want a spare take advantage of the $140 price. It can skyrocket at any time.

There is nothing extraordinary about your set up. Seems reasonable. Why yours has lasted so long while others have failed early is still a mystery.

Can you disassemble the old one to get images of the shaft in addition to the gear wear? I'm curious how the upper bushing area looks. Do you see and "sludge specks" in the target wheel chamber on the top of the OPDA?
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #2249
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
--snip--
I'm curious how the upper bushing area looks. Do you see and "sludge specks" in the target wheel chamber on the top of the OPDA?
=======
I seem to have lost my focus and do not remember this question.
What is the significance of the sludge on the tone ring area?
Refresh on my unit:
When I did the Fog mod on my 06 @20k miles it was in good shape but had the sludge - top area. My opda had been replaced as evidence of silicone instead of the gasket. It had one of the three oil holes functional for lower bearing lube and I drilled them all out. Top bushing was nicely oiled.
Thnaks, PaulW
pwmac is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #2250
98xjroks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is the 2004 CPS gear compatible with the 2005-06 gear without modification? NO.

Can the 2004 CPS gear fit with the 2005-06 gear without drilling a new hole in the shaft? YES.

Please see the attached images.

First is the roll pin. The larger is 3/16 and fills the 2005-06 OPDA shaft hole.

Here is a side by side of the 2004 and the 2005-06 gear. Left is the 2005 (large hole).

With regards to all other specs they look the same.

The hole alignment relative to the tooth location is offset a little. This means if you were to pull the OPDA and use this gear it would not install exactly the way it was removed. I don't believe TDC or the sharpie would match exactly. The below pics show the 2004 gear drilled to 3/16. The 2004 gear is on the left.

To modify the old 2004 gear to fit the larger hole for the 2005-06 shaft you will have to drill out one side of the 2004 gear. Use a 3/16 drill bit. It would be best to have a vise and press. I didn't have any of that at the house so I used a steady hand instead.

Drill one side to 3/16. Once you have the hole drilled, place the gear on the shaft so the holes line up. From there you can insert the drill bit and drill the opposite hole. Without a press and vise the shaft hole may egg a little bit. The roll pin should handle a small imperfection in the hole. I ran the drill through and tapped in the roll pin with no issues.

I believe this is an easier method than an aftermarket gear and drilling a new hole through the existing shaft.

Forgive me if this has already been done, but can someone direct me to the post covering the 04-05 gear use/wear results? I like the looks of this gear a lot.
98xjroks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.