2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #211
TJXTWO

If you replace the stock 4.0 in an 05/06 TJ/LJ with a strocked 4.0 from one of the reputable builders it will still have to use the same OPDA because of the computer right? I would think the answer would be yes, but was wondering if there was a way around it with a motor swap minus changing the computer?

03 TJ Sport, 4.5" RE SuperFlex short arm lift, Tereflfex ST swaybar, 33" MTR's, Body Armor bumpers @ sliders, 5 speed manual... 06 TJ Rubicon, 4.5" RE long arm lift, Currie Antirock front and rear , OR Fab bumpers @ sliders, K@N intake, custom exhaust, 1" BL , 1" motor mount lift, 35" MTR's on Pro Comp Alloys, 6 speed manual.
TJXTWO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #212
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

For you guys waiting on back-ordered OPDA's, I found this to maybe get you by.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...Q5fAccessories
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #213
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
For you guys waiting on back-ordered OPDA's, I found this to maybe get you by.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...Q5fAccessories
Good find! Not a bad price if it's in good shape!
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #214
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
Good find! Not a bad price if it's in good shape!
FogMod it!
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #215
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
FogMod it!
I'm already out some cash waiting for my new unit, they definitely charged my card too. So I better be high up on the list when it comes to mailing those new units out
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #216
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If no one else wants it, I may go ahead and buy it, mod it and then sell or loan it to one of you guys until you get yours fixed up.
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #217
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Well here's an update on another rig.

61,000 miles. Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage for about 50,000 of those miles. The initial 10,000 of those were with dino oil. This wear may have occured early on and then been kept from failing by the use of the Mobil1, or it may have been gradual. I'll never know.

Anyway, following the very helpful instructions provided on this great thread, I pull mine tonight and it was, shall we say, 'well worn'.
The gears are nearing a razor edge and it needs replaced asap. I'll be making an appointment tomorrow as I'm still under the 7/70 warranty.

Rev. B unit. OPDA Shaft has no resistance at all. Spins freely. Never had any issues. OPDA has no abnormal vibrations when feeling it with engine running.

Luckily The cam gears didn't appear to show nearly the wear of the OPDA gears, but I was only able to inspect a couple teeth that were visible. They looked very minimally worn.

I'm still skeptical about the lifespan of a new OPDA as even if it spins freely like mine has, it still may wear down just as easily as this one did unless they make some improvement to the gear itself. Why all the wear even with no visible drag on the shaft?? After reading these threads, I was under the assumption that the shaft resistance was the cause of the gear wear, but now I'm not so sure. Especially after seeing the difference in wear between the OPDA and the cam itself. Perhaps the OBDA gear was inferior metal.

In any case, I caught it before it blew apart in the motor, and for that I am truly thankful.

Funny thing is I haven't been on this forum in quite a few months and had no idea this was even an issue until I popped in a few weeks ago.

Without this forum, I would never had the heads up to check on this. Thanks much fellow Jeepers!!!

I'l post back after I speak with the local service dept.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #218
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Im left wondering the same thing, as in my OPDA shaft has no resistance whatsoever. I can't imagine it causing the amount of wear shown. Maybe there is something else going on here, but I was under the impression the gear was of the same design as previous non-defective models?
Unread 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #219
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
Im left wondering the same thing, as in my OPDA shaft has no resistance whatsoever. I can't imagine it causing the amount of wear shown. Maybe there is something else going on here, but I was under the impression the gear was of the same design as previous non-defective models?
It may have been of the same design, but the gear itself may have been farmed out to be made by the cheapest source available overseas. The metal could have been crap, the tolerences of the die could have been off, perhaps it wasn't properly hardened....the list goes on.

When a manufacturer like DC farms out a part to a third party like this, you never really know what the longevity will be until it's too late.
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #220
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Very interesting points made. This could very well be a contributing factor to the problem, it would be interesting to see the new gears analyzed and compared to older gears. As in are there different materials present as well as thickness and hardness.
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #221
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Well there was obviously an initial recall of a run of drive gears in the '05's (which mine was not part of), in which DC found the gear was not properly hardened, but it seems that the scope of bad gears was much broader than they indicated.

Seem this is in fact a two-part problem:

1) you may have a bad gear which will wear prematurely.

2) you may have a bushing in the unit which is not sufficiently lubricated which may kill the gear by creating too much drag regardless if the gear is a good or bad variety.
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #222
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's a lot of wear. Looks like it goes the whole length of the teeth. What is your build date? Does it fall into the E05 TSB but the gear was never replaced by chance?

I'm not sure we've completely solved this problem yet. I don't feel 100% confident we know the whole story on the gear wear issue. It's like for one reason or another, the gears on some don't mesh well with the camshaft and get eaten up pretty quickly. Does anyone know if the camshaft changed at all after '04 or is the '05-'06's exactly the same?

Xlr8n can you measure the up/down play in the shaft?

EDIT: I see you answered the question about gear replacement before I got this posted
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #223
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
1) you may have a bad gear which will wear prematurely.
I hope there was just a bad batch of gears out there and replacing with a new gear will resolve it. We'll just have to wait and see.
Unread 01-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #224
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think the camshaft gear changed. I think the engine is pretty much the same.

There were allegedly bad gears which prompted the recall. While no change was made to the OPDA bushing.

The Rockwell was tested on old and new gears and the RC was 27, so while there still may be bad gears floating around I think the gears are okay.

Also factor in heat. As the engine runs it gets hot which transfers to the OPDA and the shaft decreasing the clearance between the shaft and bushing. While some OPDA's on the way out show binding at ambient temperatures others may not develop problems until they get hot.

So the current consensus is high ZDDP oil will help reduce the wear on the gears, while improving the upper bushing lubrication will prevent unnecessary resistance on the gears themselves.

After all is said and done, we as a group are making educated guesses. The up/down play may be a factor. There could be differences in the camshaft gears. At this point I'm satisfied with the FogMOD in theory.
Unread 01-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #225
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

With the OPDA shortage, are some people still just replacing the gear? I feel like Crown had a gear that fit, but now I can't seem to find the part. Wouldn't it make sense to do the FOGmod and change the gear out, or is there another reason to replace the whole shebang?
Thanks again to FOG, Willy, and all that are doing so much work on this.
NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.