2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 146 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #2176
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well on the advice of the guys here, im going to fogmod my new unit, assuming I can find all the thread taps and grub screw in this two bit town.

footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #2177
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by footypaul View Post
Well on the advice of the guys here, im going to fogmod my new unit, assuming I can find all the thread taps and grub screw in this two bit town.
To be quite honest the size of the grease zerk and plug can vary a bit. I had no metric taps and could not see dishing out the money for them. I used the 1/4" 28 grease zerk and a 1/4" screw for the plug. The 1/4" screw was put in with a dab of red loctite, but I don't think it was needed.

So use what ya got. I bought nothing.

And as far as grease goes, anything is better than what was in there. I'll get flamed for this, but all this high tech specific grease for a bushed shaft is sort of dum IMHO.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #2178
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Bigbob is right. Willy says that he used what he had. I think I used a 5/16 allen head set screw to plug the factory hole.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #2179
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know how I feel about the grease. I'd love to say use what ever you find at the auto parts store and call it a day. Experience has show that the Aeroshell 33MS outperformed standard Mobilith 220 (which I would consider a generic all purpose grease). I can't say it was totally the grease's fault since I admit to over pressurizing.

I did change to Aeroshell and after inspection it was much better. I still think I put too much in. Also Tkki's results with Aeroshell were positive, so I have to side with caution and say spend the extra few dollars on the Aeroshell. If we get feedback with alternatives I have no problem linking to the first page.

All that said, the "what type of grease and how much" questions can all be ignored if Rubi4MyMrs oil cup works well. At this point I think during my next inspection I will swap to the oil cup. It will be much easier to manage since it won't require the grease element at all.

I would love to hear from anyone with pic and first hand results with alternate grease. Bob do you have any info and results? Pics preferred of course.
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #2180
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I would love to hear from anyone with pic and first hand results with alternate grease. Bob do you have any info and results? Pics preferred of course.
No I don't. It's been almost a year since I did the mod though and I may pull it out at my annual oil change in December. I only drive 3-4K miles a year! My scoring was not bad when I did it. I only greased it when I installed it.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #2181
paulyp
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quick question guys.
After you drill through the top bushing how are you guys knocking off the burr inside the bushing?
I was thinking some rolled up sand paper?

Cheers
Paul
paulyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #2182
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyp View Post
Quick question guys.
After you drill through the top bushing how are you guys knocking off the burr inside the bushing?
I was thinking some rolled up sand paper?

Cheers
Paul
That's how I did mine, just don't go crazy and bore it out too much. I just wrapped some sandpaper on a screwdriver and hit the holes. Mine did not have much of a burr.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #2183
paulpa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am very sorry if I missed something here,I have been reading this for about an hour,I am new to this forum and do not mean any disrespect buy jumping in but I just have to know why we just cant use the older units that were on the earlier 4.0,,it maybe a stupid question but i can't seem to figure it out.Thank you all,very informative.
paulpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #2184
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpa View Post
why we just cant use the older units that were on the earlier 4.0,
Read the prior 100 pages of this thread and you'll see. The new-style cam position sensor needed for the 2005-2006 ECU won't fit in the older unit. The older unit's cam position sensor is incompatible with the 2005-2006 ECU.
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #2185
paulpa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
Read the prior 100 pages of this thread and you'll see. The new-style cam position sensor needed for the 2005-2006 ECU won't fit in the older unit. The older unit's cam position sensor is incompatible with the 2005-2006 ECU.
thank you,,,sorry should have known you guys would have a good reason.Thanks again
paulpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #2186
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpa View Post
I am very sorry if I missed something here,I have been reading this for about an hour,I am new to this forum and do not mean any disrespect buy jumping in but I just have to know why we just cant use the older units that were on the earlier 4.0,,it maybe a stupid question but i can't seem to figure it out.Thank you all,very informative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
No need to read all of that. The important info is all covered in the first pages, thanks to willydigger. The very first post lists topics, and has a link to this.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20.../#post10663481
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #2187
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Badtux, I'll add that brief explanation to the Q&A later. I think it will sum up why mechanically the 2004 can fit, but is electrically incompatible. ECU = engine control unit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_control_unit
Unread 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #2188
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
To the FogModders. I got an email recently inquiring about greasing frequency and amount. I was unsure how to answer so I told him what I do, but thought it would be a good idea to get a general consensus of what we do currently.

What I did initially was use a poor grease choice and pumped it until the OPDA was tight. I spun it by hand until it relaxed a bit and then installed it. At around my first oil change, I pumped 2-3 pumps in while running and hot. After inspection I wasn't happy with the results and assumed too much grease. When I installed the Aeroshell 33MS I pumped it full again. Same procedure different grease. Again I wasn't happy. On the last installation I used one pump and haven't touched it since. This was early this spring.

Currently my suggestion included the following:
1. Warm up engine to operating temperature
2. Pump 1 squirt of grease (this is from a mini grease gun 3oz)
3. Do this twice a year

I really don't think it needs a pump every oil change. This is also assuming daily driver 10-12K a year.

Unfortunately I don't have any long term data, but I wouldn't recommend too much grease since it will hydraulically load the shaft and make it very hard to spin. Normally it would take 4-5 pumps (again of the mini gun) to fill the entire reservoir so I would think 1 pump would be fine. Again this is why I recommend the needle attachment. It is difficult to over pump with the needle since excess with push out from the ball check.

Please let me know your schedule of greasing and amount and any extra input you may have. I'd like to get as much info before updated the first page.
Quick bump for some feed back on the above greasing cycle. Can anyone provide some info on their greasing schedule?
Unread 10-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #2189
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I grease the OPDA every oil change. That is about 3K miles, sometimes more. The most recent change was earlier, about 2200 since I am out of town at a contract job. I am living in a condo place where self performed oil changes are looked down upon.
I do not think I will exceed 3K miles before I get home. I am using M1 0-40 Euro car formula for the high ZDDP level and a Donaldson filter, MS33 grease.

I have pulled the OPDA each of the last two times to grease it. It is easier that way, and I can look at the gear teeth. I always spin the shaft after I grease it to assure no binding, then reinstall.

I have an "old" distributor wrench with the 1/2" box end and a right angle bend in it so I can use a ratchet to loosen the hold down bolt. I unbolt the actual sensor so I do not have to unplug the electrical connector. All bolts ahve never seize, so fingers work great for bolt removal/installation.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #2190
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1 View Post
I grease the OPDA every oil change...

I have pulled the OPDA each of the last two times to grease it. It is easier that way, and I can look at the gear teeth. I always spin the shaft after I grease it to assure no binding, then reinstall.

I unbolt the actual sensor so I do not have to unplug the electrical connector. All bolts ahve never seize, so fingers work great for bolt removal/installation.
exactly same as what I do, every 5000 kilometers (3000 miles)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.