2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 145 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #2161
JPcpa
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the 2004 LJs were 4 speed auto only. Not crazy about it, the short auto lever feels strange in a Wrangler. Feel like I need to hit the clutch too. Guess I'll get used to it, and the autos seem to hold up pretty well.

I really liked the 6 speed/4.10s in my '05.

JPcpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #2162
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

After a few weeks of having a code p0016 and replacing both the cam and crankshaft position sensors, I finally pulled this opda last weekend. The gear on the end had a lot of wear on it so I finally found the problem. The chck engine light started off being intermittent and then kept staying on longer and longer. I got the new assembly installed yesterday, cleared the code, and drove it around all day yesterday with no code coming back. I can once again go last 3500rpm and the Jeep just feels smoother now. I plan on taking the old assembly a part and fixing it up.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #2163
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

81,411 miles and this is what mine looked like . Not the worst one I have seen , but it had quite a bit wear . Many thanks to Wilydigger for the video link and the info here , it made for a nice easy install .
Unread 10-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #2164
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quick question

Does the new OPDA unit come with a new top cover and hold down bolts? If not, what size are they (standard bolt head please, no torx!). Reason I ask, I stripped one of the torx heads out getting it off to check my unit, and had to vice grip it back on.
I'm going to order a replacement unit, and would like to have new cover bolts if i need them when it gets here.
footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #2165
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes it does.

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #2166
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mine came with new screws and a top , I think all of the ones from Mopar do .
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #2167
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I ordered my replacement OPDA today. I don't think I'll fogmod it when it gets here, just replace, and check every oil change. If I have issues, then I'll get another new one and fogmod. My cam gear still looks ok, and the factory unit has lasted me over 55k miles.
footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #2168
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by footypaul View Post
Well I ordered my replacement OPDA today. I don't think I'll fogmod it when it gets here, just replace, and check every oil change. If I have issues, then I'll get another new one and fogmod. My cam gear still looks ok, and the factory unit has lasted me over 55k miles.
Why are you replacing the OPDA? To avoid rehashing the debate in this thread, I'll refer you to posts 34-43 here opda-concern

Suffice it to say that the jury is divided as to when it's appropriate to replace it. As I've said before: Be informed and judge for yourself.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #2169
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by footypaul View Post
The mileage logic is flawed. There are reports of mileage failures from as early as 13-15K. If you have the skill and tools to do the FogMod, just do it and be done with it. If the existing OPDA isn't having problems, disassemble it, clean it, and FogMod it. Don't wait for it to fail and don't expect a new one to last 55K. It might, but why take the chance?

Also most new OPDA's that I've seen and that have been reported here have no lubrication from the factory. You will be set up to fail from the start.
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #2170
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Any updates from the aftermarket folks that were working on a permanent fix for this crap? Crown, Skinny Pedal, anyone...hello?
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #2171
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any updates on the grease. I too did the fogmod and bought the MS33 grease. Even built a dedicated grease gun. I did change my grease fitting to a standard style zerk. Now the grease issue:
I store my grease guns in a plastic tool box laying on their side, in the garage. I've greased the OPDA a few times, usually every oill change. Last time I greased the OPDA there was "oil" dripping out the bottom of the grease gun. Not unusual as I have seen this oil "separation" with other greases over the years. Yesterday, I pulled the OPDA and "tested" the grease gun to assure it had fresh clean grease at the tip. It would not emit any grease, thought the tube was empty. Opened the gun and found very stiff, very dry, very sticky MS33. Far thicker and stickier than peanut butter. Still had about 1/2 tube of grease, but I would not use it as I did not consider it as having any lubrication properties. I opened the "spare" tube of MS33. Still nice and soft, still had that characteristic smell, cleaned the gun, put the new tube in the gun, flushed out the old sticky MS33 from the hose, greased the OPDA. Put the gun away.
Anybody else have similar events with the MS33? I looked back at my records, first modded OPDA and opened the first tube in Dec 2010. Maybe I am expecting a too long shelf life after opening the tube?
Comments?
BTW - little to no tooth wear in 10K miles. Using MS33 and M1 0-40 Euro due to high ZDDP levels
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #2172
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1 View Post
Any updates on the grease. I too did the fogmod and bought the MS33 grease. Even built a dedicated grease gun. I did change my grease fitting to a standard style zerk. Now the grease issue:
I store my grease guns in a plastic tool box laying on their side, in the garage. I've greased the OPDA a few times, usually every oill change. Last time I greased the OPDA there was "oil" dripping out the bottom of the grease gun. Not unusual as I have seen this oil "separation" with other greases over the years. Yesterday, I pulled the OPDA and "tested" the grease gun to assure it had fresh clean grease at the tip. It would not emit any grease, thought the tube was empty. Opened the gun and found very stiff, very dry, very sticky MS33. Far thicker and stickier than peanut butter. Still had about 1/2 tube of grease, but I would not use it as I did not consider it as having any lubrication properties. I opened the "spare" tube of MS33. Still nice and soft, still had that characteristic smell, cleaned the gun, put the new tube in the gun, flushed out the old sticky MS33 from the hose, greased the OPDA. Put the gun away.
Anybody else have similar events with the MS33? I looked back at my records, first modded OPDA and opened the first tube in Dec 2010. Maybe I am expecting a too long shelf life after opening the tube?
Comments?
BTW - little to no tooth wear in 10K miles. Using MS33 and M1 0-40 Euro due to high ZDDP levels
Hey great news on the gear wear.

For me I use a small grease gun and store the rest in a ziplok bag. I don't leave the tube in. I little more work and a little wasteful, but there is no separation. I bought my tube last fall so it's been a year with no issues.

I would also love to hear about successful alternatives to the 33MS. Has anyone tried something else with comments?
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #2173
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rubi4MyMrs, what oil are you using for the top bushing? I don't remember is you told me already. I'd like to link it to the oil cup for the first page. If not regular motor oil, please list your reasoning.
Unread 10-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #2174
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
Rubi4MyMrs, what oil are you using for the top bushing? I don't remember is you told me already. I'd like to link it to the oil cup for the first page. If not regular motor oil, please list your reasoning.
I'm using VR1 10-30 Valvoline, same as in the engine.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #2175
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

To the FogModders. I got an email recently inquiring about greasing frequency and amount. I was unsure how to answer so I told him what I do, but thought it would be a good idea to get a general consensus of what we do currently.

What I did initially was use a poor grease choice and pumped it until the OPDA was tight. I spun it by hand until it relaxed a bit and then installed it. At around my first oil change, I pumped 2-3 pumps in while running and hot. After inspection I wasn't happy with the results and assumed too much grease. When I installed the Aeroshell 33MS I pumped it full again. Same procedure different grease. Again I wasn't happy. On the last installation I used one pump and haven't touched it since. This was early this spring.

Currently my suggestion included the following:
1. Warm up engine to operating temperature
2. Pump 1 squirt of grease (this is from a mini grease gun 3oz)
3. Do this twice a year

I really don't think it needs a pump every oil change. This is also assuming daily driver 10-12K a year.

Unfortunately I don't have any long term data, but I wouldn't recommend too much grease since it will hydraulically load the shaft and make it very hard to spin. Normally it would take 4-5 pumps (again of the mini gun) to fill the entire reservoir so I would think 1 pump would be fine. Again this is why I recommend the needle attachment. It is difficult to over pump with the needle since excess with push out from the ball check.

Please let me know your schedule of greasing and amount and any extra input you may have. I'd like to get as much info before updated the first page.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.