2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 141 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #2101
blueshot
2006 LJ Wrangler 

New ODPA Unit

Hi All,

I have a new, unused, OPDA for sale. I ordered it as a backup but sold the Jeep before I needed it. Part number on unit is 53010624AC. I've been informed that these are going cheap now, so make me an offer. If you're interested send me a PM. This unit is not modded in any way. I know I should have posted this to the classifieds section but I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how.

Thanks and I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by blueshot; 09-17-2011 at 02:12 PM..
blueshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #2102
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Good luck with that sale being that you can buy a new one for a little over $100.
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #2103
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshot View Post
Hi All,

I have a new, unused, OPDA for sale. I ordered it as a backup but sold the Jeep before I needed it. I paid $275.00 for it so I need to get that plus shipping (let's call it $10 anywhere in the US via UPS). Part number on unit is 53010624AC. If you're interested send me a PM. This unit is not modded in any way. I know I should have posted this to the classifieds section but I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how.

Thanks and I hope this helps someone.

http://dodge-wholesale.com/catalog/a...0624AC&x=6&y=6

New:
$120.75 + shipping.
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #2104
Baseplate
2006 TJ Wrangler 

He's sold the Jeep but it's still making him pay....hahahahah love it
Baseplate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #2105
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have no symptoms with 56k on my 05, but decided to stop ignoring it and pull my ODPA today.

Here is what the gear looked like.

I spun the shaft and it spun free with no resistance. It was starting to get rainy and I didn't get a chance to shine a light and look down on the cam gear.
Is this wear worrysome? Should I do something about it?
img00145-20110919-1820.jpg  
footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #2106
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks about how mine did. I put the Fog mod on mine and called it good. It's honestly hard to tell from that one shot... were the the teeth coming to a harsh edge, did it seem almost sharp? If you aren't having symtoms I say just mod it (or not) and keep running it.
NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #2107
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

No the teeth weren't really coming to a harsh edge. Just a little wear showing.
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #2108
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rest easy and don't let this thread freak you out. You can Fogmod (or not) and just check it every so often. If it gets worse consider throwing in a new opda because it's probably the tolerances on the upper bushing on their way out.
NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #2109
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by footypaul
I have no symptoms with 56k on my 05, but decided to stop ignoring it and pull my ODPA today.

Here is what the gear looked like.

I spun the shaft and it spun free with no resistance. It was starting to get rainy and I didn't get a chance to shine a light and look down on the cam gear.
Is this wear worrysome? Should I do something about it?
It looks pretty worn. You'll probably hear at least an opinion or two that says "replace it" or "get a crown gear", but I'm of the minority that says FOGmod the existing unit and run it with the original gear. I think that a new gear against your (certainly worn) original cam gear is asking for accelerated wear.

That opinion aside, the wear on that gear makes me worry about the current condition of your cam gear. My best guess is that your cam gear is worn to match the OPDA gear and is well beyond where it should be. I had some luck with Chrysler in getting partial compensation for replacing my cam, lifters, etc. with similar wear, at similar mileage, but it was a trying experience.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 03:42 AM   #2110
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got duped into buying one of those "extended cover everything warranties" when I bought my Rubicon used. Would they cover something like this, since it isn't showing any symptoms? Or would they rather I wait until it completely goes out and I spin a main bearing due to no oil pressure?
Unread 09-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #2111
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hello all. I have a 2005 TJ with 90k that has had two engine issues that have driven me #$%^ing batty. First- tick-tick-tick on cold start-ups. Not a daily occurence, typically have it right after an oil change. Second issue- and this has only happened several times- on a cold start, the oil pressure reads ZERO, then dash starts panic-beeping. Restart the engine and oil pressure reads fine.

So after reading and catching that both of these symptoms are related to this OPDA issue, I'm going to replace the assembly, Mopar PN #53010624AC. Yes, I realize that just replacing the whle thing won't totally resolve the issue, but I drive it less and less all the time.

Anyways, replacement... I see the wheel and housing are pinned together from the factory. I'm assuming this represents the engine at TDC? So I can remove old one, set to TDC, then install new one, then remove pin?
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #2112
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have much mechanical knowledge and this seems way over my head to me, sorry for being so nooby. I have an 06 and its right at 60k miles, I noticed while stuck in traffic an odd metallic noise that would occur every other second that sounded like a marble bouncing around in the front. Its not very loud but noticeable to me and was not there before
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #2113
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by footypaul View Post
No the teeth weren't really coming to a harsh edge. Just a little wear showing.
You'll have to make the call. The pic is blurry enough to not be able to tell. My recommendation is to replace new and FogMod. More money, but there will be no second guessing.

If you can't afford a new one, FogMod the existing. Make note of the shaft condition and have a very good look at the upper bushing.

The OPDA is supposed to wear faster than the cam, so I would think that cam wear will not be as bad as the OPDA gear.
Unread 09-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #2114
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofus View Post
Hello all. I have a 2005 TJ with 90k that has had two engine issues that have driven me #$%^ing batty. First- tick-tick-tick on cold start-ups. Not a daily occurence, typically have it right after an oil change. Second issue- and this has only happened several times- on a cold start, the oil pressure reads ZERO, then dash starts panic-beeping. Restart the engine and oil pressure reads fine...

Anyways, replacement... I see the wheel and housing are pinned together from the factory. I'm assuming this represents the engine at TDC? So I can remove old one, set to TDC, then install new one, then remove pin?
The tick after oil changes is normal and I don't think it is related to the OPDA at all. After a few run hours the tick goes away. It has done that for the last couple oil changes on mine.

For replacement set to TDC with the old unit still installed. Pin it for removal. Put the pin in the new one and replace. I do not recommend moving the cam with the OPDA out. Too many things can go wrong.
Unread 09-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #2115
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
I don't have much mechanical knowledge and this seems way over my head to me, sorry for being so nooby. I have an 06 and its right at 60k miles, I noticed while stuck in traffic an odd metallic noise that would occur every other second that sounded like a marble bouncing around in the front. Its not very loud but noticeable to me and was not there before
The 'marble' sound is actually the throw-out bearing and it is normal for the NV3500 and NSG370 6-speed trans.
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.