2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #196
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Oil change interval from my 2005 OM:
Schedule B - 3000 miles Schedule A - 6000 miles. B lists a lot of conditions, each of us probably falls into B.

Bigbob has the direct experience to talk about oil analysis and related preventative maintenance (oik/filter maintenance) and intervals. I have used Blackstone Labs since 1999 for the analysis I have had done (fog has referenced Blackstone, too). I was really focused (willy may call it anal) about preserving the PSD in my Ford pickup. M1 Diesel, oil analysis, frequent oil changes, etc. One analysis did pick up an increase in some oil contaminant and suggested a failed air filter, sure enough, the air filter was broken letting dirt pass right through. As far as extended oil changes, if I had a fleet, I would do it.
An opposing opinion- I have a ~$30K when new Jeep. It does depreciate. It currently has 34K miles. A re-built engine is somewhere near $3K to $5K. Yes it can be done cheaper. Assume a Donaldson 550299 oil filter @ $6 and 7 quarts M1 oil @$8. Most of us do the oil change ourselves. Oil/filter cost $62, round down to $60.00 or 6000 cents. At 3000 mile change, cost is 2 cents per mile. Time in my garage is usually "mental therapy" to relieve the stress from work. I get to crawl underneath, look for issues, think, dream, etc. At one time I used to "spill" way more than $60/month at the bar. 3000 miles is about 3 months for me. I consider a $62 oil change every three months a bargain. Much cheaper than therapy or the bar. Much cheaper than the 87 911 Porsche that I used to have (14 quarts each change + a more expensive filter). I love my Jeep enough to spend $62 every three months. Don't let my wife read that.

Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #197
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

ChaseB, I wanted to give you a comparison of gear wear. Like yours, the gear on my jeep was replaced by the dealer (before I bought it) with few miles on it. It now has 53k and most of those miles were on the replacement gear.

As you can see the wear doesn't cover 1/3 the area yours does with almost twice the mileage.
opda-034.jpg

I first pulled mine to check it, noticed the gear looked good and the shaft turned freely. Put it back in and 5 weeks later bushing was seizing up.

I have no idea what oil was used before, but I've owned it since august, put about 5,000 miles on it (2 oil changes) and used valvoline 10w30 dino up to this point.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #198
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
ChaseB, I wanted to give you a comparison of gear wear. Like yours, the gear on my jeep was replaced by the dealer (before I bought it) with few miles on it. It now has 53k and most of those miles were on the replacement gear.

As you can see the wear doesn't cover 1/3 the area yours does with almost twice the mileage.
Attachment 184466

I first pulled mine to check it, noticed the gear looked good and the shaft turned freely. Put it back in and 5 weeks later bushing was seizing up.

I have no idea what oil was used before, but I've owned it since august, put about 5,000 miles on it (2 oil changes) and used valvoline 10w30 dino up to this point.
All I can do is hope for the best at this point, I'll make it a point to drive my CJ whenever possible to avoid further damage before I get my replacement
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #199
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB View Post
All I can do is hope for the best at this point, I'll make it a point to drive my CJ whenever possible to avoid further damage before I get my replacement
I stopped worrying about it. If my engine dies because of this, chrysler is going to have a hell of a lawsuit on their hands for a faulty motor and this and the other threads are all proof of it. The fact that they are aware of this makes it worse for them.

Then I'll just do a stroker or v8

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #200
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
I stopped worrying about it. If my engine dies because of this, chrysler is going to have a hell of a lawsuit on their hands for a faulty motor and this and the other threads are all proof of it.

Are you still running the stock unit or a modified one? Chances are I'll be good until I get my hands on a modded unit, if the February 14th backorder holds true
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #201
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Are you still running the stock unit or a modified one? Chances are I'll be good until I get my hands on a modded unit, if the February 14th backorder holds true
I still have the stock unit. I checked my OPDA at like 45000 miles i think it was, same negative result as everyone else. I have 56k on the Jeep now and no issues yet. I don't have the laughing monkey, sooo as of right now, out of sight, out of mind.

If this new unit is a COMPLETELY new replacement with a better gear on it, I'll buy it.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #202
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I still have the stock unit. I checked my OPDA at like 45000 miles i think it was, same negative result as everyone else. I have 56k on the Jeep now and no issues yet. I don't have the laughing monkey, sooo as of right now, out of sight, out of mind.

If this new unit is a COMPLETELY new replacement with a better gear on it, I'll buy it.
It'll most likely be the same, although I'm hoping for improvements. It's the lack of lubrication as previously stated causing the gear wear though. I can't understand why some (such as lope's) wear better than others though.
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #203
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep goes in for the repair tomorrow. I have my doubts that they are actually replacing the entire unit. I guess we'll all know tomorrow.

It really out of my hands at this point, even if the replace the old unit with a new one, since the new one is junk too. I'll stick with the Mobil 1 and listen for trouble.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #204
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
My jeep goes in for the repair tomorrow. I have my doubts that they are actually replacing the entire unit. I guess we'll all know tomorrow.

It really out of my hands at this point, even if the replace the old unit with a new one, since the new one is junk too. I'll stick with the Mobil 1 and listen for trouble.
Take a picture of the existing unit's label before you drop it off. Although I don't see how they could be replacing the unit with a nationwide backorder. Hopefully they aren't just changing the gear

On a side note I really hate dealerships, they wanted to cut a hole in my frame to remove one of the bolts holding my transmission support bracket because they stripped it out when performing a recall. Wow,

just wow.
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #205
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It'll most likely be the same, although I'm hoping for improvements. It's the lack of lubrication as previously stated causing the gear wear though. I can't understand why some (such as lope's) wear better than others though.
Yeah I forgot that it was lubrication that was the issue. Luckily When I bought the Jeep I switched to a better oil (well my mechanic did, he does it for free ).

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #206
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Take a picture of the existing unit's label before you drop it off. Although I don't see how they could be replacing the unit with a nationwide backorder. Hopefully they aren't just changing the gear
I've already got pictures of it, and I've got this feeling that's what they're doing, but like I said, I won't know for sure until tomorrow. I know for sure that Chrysler isn't going to help me anymore than this.....they made the perfectly clear. Odds are I'll never buy a new Chrysler product ever again, and I've owned a few. Customer service goes a long way towards keeping said customer.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 01-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #207
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've already got pictures of it, and I've got this feeling that's what they're doing, but like I said, I won't know for sure until tomorrow. I know for sure that Chrysler isn't going to help me anymore than this.....they made the perfectly clear. Odds are I'll never buy a new Chrysler product ever again, and I've owned a few. Customer service goes a long way towards keeping said customer.
Well keep us posted, I'm pulling for you and your Jeep man. Chrysler and the dealerships are clown shows to say the least. I'm with you on not buying another Chrysler product, that's why I'm gonna do what it takes to make this one last
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #208
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well keep us posted, I'm pulling for you and your Jeep man. Chrysler and the dealerships are clown shows to say the least. I'm with you on not buying another Chrysler product, that's why I'm gonna do what it takes to make this one last
I trust the service manager/co-owner at the dealership, he's a jeeper too as is the other owner. He said there was really no sign of wear and everything appeared to be in good shape, adding that I probably caught it early.

I'll let them fix what Chrysler said they could, then if things go horribly wrong I'll take action from there.

I wish us all the best of luck.

I'm still thinking I'm going to write corporate a letter and let them know how I feel, even if it is met with a blind eye.

Unread 01-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #209
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I trust the service manager/co-owner at the dealership, he's a jeeper too as is the other owner. He said there was really no sign of wear and everything appeared to be in good shape, adding that I probably caught it early.

I'll let them fix what Chrysler said they could, then if things go horribly wrong I'll take action from there.

I wish us all the best of luck.

I'm still thinking I'm going to write corporate a letter and let them know how I feel, even if it is met with a blind eye.
Never thought I'd say this but I miss AMC, my 258 leaks like hell and makes some crazy noises but it's still going strong after 26 years of abuse.
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #210
Bigbob

Quote:
I stopped worrying about it. If my engine dies because of this, chrysler is going to have a hell of a lawsuit on their hands for a faulty motor and this and the other threads are all proof of it. The fact that they are aware of this makes it worse for them.

I wish you well! But remember, anything they do for you is a nicety as Chrysler did not build your engine or Jeep. A company called Old Carco did. And for all intents and purposes Old Carco is gone. But Old Carco (the old Chrysler) was just as bad as Chrysler (Chrysler Group).

The new Chrysler has been better than I figured on a lot of warranty issues. But I seriously doubt they care much more about your and my stuff than the old company did. Ya gotta remember, this is not the first time something like this has happened. The Gen 3 Ram 9.25 LSD is a classic case. Yes they warranted the axles, but they never came up with a fix! And the car company guys are looking at us owning vehicles that are 5 years old anyway. They sell new vehicles and consider yours out of date.

Ditto on the V8. My dream!
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.