2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 132 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #1966
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Forgive me for asking but I've looked through this thread searching for your mod write-up and I'm coming up empty; if your mod is detailed here, could you provide a post #, please? The links in the alternate design section just bring me to the most recent page of posts.

As to the quote above, do you mean to say that pressure forces oil from area between the two bushings past the seal and into (and past) the upper bushing?
When I click here 1. Pressurized Oil for Upper Bushing it takes me to his post (876).

No oil from his mod to directed under the seal.

You can see from how his unit is turned that he drilled the upper bushing through the fill hole in the reservoir then attached the oil line there. Just as with my oil cup mod, the oil enters the bushing through the drilled hole & finds its way over the top of the upper bushing. Since his oil level is above the bushing oil is pushed (pressurized) by gravity. The OPDA seal needs to keep most, if not all, of the oil from going into the crankcase otherwise you would constantly be removing excess oil from the oil pan & adding to the OPDA “tank”.

I purposely used an oil cup to keep the oil level below the top of the upper bushing to avoid flooding the upper housing area. Even with oil well below that level, a small amount of oil gets over the top. My original write up is post #1050 Photos of the accumulated oil is in post #1867. It is not only pressure that causes the oil to rise.

Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #1967
dproctor0715
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Forgive me for asking but I've looked through this thread searching for your mod write-up and I'm coming up empty; if your mod is detailed here, could you provide a post #, please?
Quote:
The links in the alternate design section just bring me to the most recent page of posts.
Does that to me as well. (?)

Quote:
As to the quote above, do you mean to say that pressure forces oil from area between the two bushings past the seal and into (and past) the upper bushing?
It is as Rubi4MyMrs described above. I believe the spinning of the shaft makes the oil naturally want to climb upward between the shaft and the bushing. And the fact that my "tank" is so high is what floods my housing and necessitates the sealing of the housing against leaks. Gravity ensures that oil is always available to the bushing as long as there's oil in the tank. The slight "pressurization' is simply a good/bad by-product of the tone wheel spinning in the oil inside the sealed-flooded housing. This is what causes the minimal amount of oil loss. But that's only when I really rev it hard. Which isn't to often in my world. The oil loss stated in my original write up was overstated because of my not understanding that we were filling the cup at the top of the housing with oil. Trust me Rubi's mod is better.
dproctor0715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #1968
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

a few questions:

1) i can't seem to remove the 2 torx screws. is this common, and is there an alternative method other than a star bit?

2) does the 2004 part with the lube channel fit in the 05-06?

3) if at 73k miles with no symptoms, if it ain't broke don't fix it?

4) even if the 05-06 part has a design error, are they all destined to eventually fail?
rwh63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #1969
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh63 View Post
a few questions:

1) i can't seem to remove the 2 torx screws. is this common, and is there an alternative method other than a star bit?

Doesn't seem to be a common problem. To avoid problems best to use correct bit.

Not sure, but don't think so. I had mine (06) machined with a lube channel (may not really help) and did the fogMog, which I believe is essential.

Not worth the risk. At the very least check and if OK do FogMog; if not OK purchase new and do FogMod.

4) even if the 05-06 part has a design error, are they all destined to eventually fail?

Probably will fail....by and large that seems to be the experience: a failure or at least heading towards failure.
IMHO, it's really not worth the risk. At the very least check it...
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #1970
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
a few questions:

They can be tight. Gotta work with it. The heads round out easily if you aren’t careful. Be sure to keep downward pressure as you turn them. If I remember correctly, I used a socket head torx bit &1/4" ratchet on mine. One guy had part of the aluminum housing break off. The hold down bolt is very tight also if it has never been removed.

The ’04 is completely different.

Your call on that. It MAY fail without warning or go 150k.

No one knows what causes some to fail while others (some would say most) to last.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #1971
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
if at 73k miles with no symptoms, if it ain't broke don't fix it?
?
Refer to sig
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #1972
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Its a steel shaft with a steel bushing with no lubrication... Its designed to fail in my opinion... Some might take longer then others but thats a bad combination. Im a mechanic, work on high speed machinary(i make the lids to your beer cans!) that design baffles me
JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #1973
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemLT1YJ View Post
Its a steel shaft with a steel bushing with no lubrication... Its designed to fail in my opinion... Some might take longer then others but thats a bad combination.
My sentiments exactly
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #1974
zdragontj

Quote:
a few questions:

i used T-25 to remove the two torx screws in my 06....T-20 is the wrong size. i almost stripped one of my torx screws with a T-20.
i hope this help.
zdragontj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #1975
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemLT1YJ View Post
4) that design baffles me
Understatement
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #1976
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

thxs for the t25 tip!
rwh63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #1977
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Understatement
I would like to find the engineer who had the bright idea of having the upper bushing extend past the top of the distributor rather than be sealed where it could receive lubrication from beneath, and flog him with a wet herring for a few hours while shouting "What were you thinking? What were you thinking? What were you thinking?!" Think the Monty Python fish slap skit, except extended .
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #1978
redsoxski
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I for one am glad I checked my OPDA even though I wasn't having any "symptoms". With the first look I had some gear wear but it didn't seem bad. Checked to see how free the shaft was spinning and discovered that it seemed to "hang up" at one point. Looked at the shaft when I removed it and found some evidence of galling and scoring on the shaft in the area where the upper bearing was. Bottom line is this was a time bomb but by checking it I discovered it in time. Ended up replacing with a new fog modded assy. Thanks to all who posted up and got my attention...
redsoxski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #1979
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Over 95,000 views. Awesome job to all who contributed to this problem and offered us solutions to ensure the longevity of our Jeeps. It's almost time for another oil change for me. I'll pull my OPDA again to check the wear. May switch back to Mobil 1 TDT, currently using VR1
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #1980
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
May switch back to Mobil 1 TDT, currently using VR1
Choose one and stick with it.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.