2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 129 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #1921
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey

Lol, I have no intention of pulling and inspecting mine, so that makes me an idiot. There are also tens of thousands of others that will never know they have this "issue".

I won't tell you not to pull your OPDA, that's your deal. But I'm now at 92,000 miles with no problems, I feel like I'd be an idiot to pull it and check for no reason other than to satisfy some random-person-on-the-internet's curiosity.

Has anyone posted a poll to determine how many people even on this limited website have this issue? I'd like to know how many miles people are at and if they've have any issues related to the OPDA. So far, I feel like we have very little data, other than a few catastrophic failures.
Hey! Get back to work Chrysler engineer!

Unread 08-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #1922
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

well you can pull it but, it does you no good. If you replace the OPDA you need to replace your cam and lifters. So if it fails your going to replace whats broke anyway. If you ask me what your doing is stupid. Gears wear in a certain pattern. When you pull it out and stick it back in how do you know your going to get the same contact pattern? Huh? Bet you didn't think of that? How are you going to know its sync perfect without a scan tool? Marking it only gets it so close. Like I said pull it but, I think your crazy for trying to fix something that may not be broke. O yea my dash rattles every once in a while I guess I should pull my dash out and re wire it and tighten everything or better yet replace it because my dash might be bad lol. Jesus.
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #1923
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedlj View Post
well you can pull it but, it does you no good. If you replace the OPDA you need to replace your cam and lifters. So if it fails your going to replace whats broke anyway. If you ask me what your doing is stupid. Gears wear in a certain pattern. When you pull it out and stick it back in how do you know your going to get the same contact pattern? Huh? Bet you didn't think of that? How are you going to know its sync perfect without a scan tool? Marking it only gets it so close.
I'll respond to this only for the benefit of others who've not read through the info provided in this thread:

1) Replacing the OPDA does NOT necessitate the replacement of the cam and lifters.

2) I had the same thought initially regarding the prospect of mating a new OPDA gear with the patterned wear on the cam gear, but the OPDA shaft gear is the softer and sacrificial gear so the cam won't be chewed by it unless the cam is already damaged.

3) There are 13 teeth on the shaft gear. Do the math: That's nearly 28 degrees between each tooth. If you can't get it back in with the right alignment, I can't imagine how you dress yourself.

Now, unlimitedlj, if you don't want to inspect yours, that's fine, but please go troll in another thread and stop attempting to spread bad information here.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #1924
JV05TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys for the feedback - I will probably pull mine sometime this week and take a look (crossing my fingers that I'm one of the ones that does not have the issue!) I noticed the knocking noise gets softer and softer since the first time I heard it. I probably should just change my oil first lol. My jeep is also just under 80k miles so with what I read in the beginning, it sounds like I'm right around the time for this OPDA issue to start showing signs if that is the case.
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #1925
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a few shots of the second OPDA that got to see about 1800 miles of action before I swapped it for a new one with the cam install.

This is the lower bushing area. The sequence is as I rotate the shaft to show the uneven wear. Obvious mis-alignment somewhere.

Looks like zero wear on this side

Here's the same section at a different angle and with different light

No wear on the right side, plenty on the left

And here's the upper bushing section. The shaft is rotated about 45 degrees clockwise between the 1st and 2nd pics. Again, early signs of excessive heat

[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #1926
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
That's well and fine, you can calculate the cost/benefit of inspection for yourself, but no one here has asked anyone else to pull theirs out of curiosity; it's been recommended as a preventative. BTW, mine was fine until a couple of thousand miles ago and then one day "poof" went the OPDA and cam. Good luck with yours.
Well that's better, now I'm not an idiot, I'm just allowed to make my own cost/benefit determination. I appreciate that. Given there really is no data, but my rough guess is that ~0.5% of all 05-06 Wranglers have this issue, the benefit of not inspecting far outweighs the cost. I have ~99.5% chance of nothing going wrong. Obviously your situation sucks, but it doesn't appear to be typical. Let's even assume 25% of all 05-06 Wranglers have this issue (which we clearly have no data to support anything even close to that), I'll take 75% odds all day.

But your post brings up another issue. How is this preventative? By your own admission, your OPDA was fine until one day, then "poof." Let's say I pull mine and look at it today, will my inspection in any way prevent it from going "poof" the next day, or being fine for another 92,000 miles? Absolutely not. What good is the inspection if I have no remedy?

Maybe the suggestion should be pull the OPDA and replace it with a new one. Shoot, my OE one has been good for 92,000 miles and counting, the next one should be as well. At least then I can decide if spending ~$150 and some of my time is worth it as preventative maintenance as I near 100,000 miles.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #1927
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
Well that's better, now I'm not an idiot, I'm just allowed to make my own cost/benefit determination. I appreciate that. Given there really is no data, but my rough guess is that ~0.5% of all 05-06 Wranglers have this issue, the benefit of not inspecting far outweighs the cost. I have ~99.5% chance of nothing going wrong. Obviously your situation sucks, but it doesn't appear to be typical. Let's even assume 25% of all 05-06 Wranglers have this issue (which we clearly have no data to support anything even close to that), I'll take 75% odds all day.

But your post brings up another issue. How is this preventative? By your own admission, your OPDA was fine until one day, then "poof." Let's say I pull mine and look at it today, will my inspection in any way prevent it from going "poof" the next day, or being fine for another 92,000 miles? Absolutely not. What good is the inspection if I have no remedy?

Maybe the suggestion should be pull the OPDA and replace it with a new one. Shoot, my OE one has been good for 92,000 miles and counting, the next one should be as well. At least then I can decide if spending ~$150 and some of my time is worth it as preventative maintenance as I near 100,000 miles.
I think we all understand your opinion. Along with not checking your OPDA can you not check this thread anymore?
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #1928
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
I think we all understand your opinion. Along with not checking your OPDA can you not check this thread anymore?

A lot of hurt feelings in this thread. It's a shame no one has really made the effort to collect the data to determine if this is even worth messing with, even among our small community. You clearly spend lots more time here and are emotionally invested in this topic, I nominate you for the job.
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #1929
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

A lot of hurt feelings in this thread. It's a shame no one has really made the effort to collect the data to determine if this is even worth messing with, even among our small community. You clearly spend lots more time here and are emotionally invested in this topic, I nominate you for the job.
The one feeling I have is not hurt at all. I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this thread. If you want to help collect that data, or add something to the thread please do. If you want to continue to be a troll, whine about how someone should do something, and/or try to start problems you should just leave.
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #1930
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Again, reading comprehension is worth quite a bit. If you, unlimitedlj, or other doubters would take the time to look at the links provided like

this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op...wners-1176879/,

this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...issue-1114837/,

or this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/opda-camshaft-synchronizer-shaft-problem-tsb-e05r-consolidated-registry-please-sign
then you'd see that the clear majority of those who've inspected have discovered a potential problem.

Great that youve been trouble-free, but just because you saying there's not a problem doesn't make it so. The only "hurt" I've read in this thread is that caused by encouraging people to close their eyes and cross their fingers. :

― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

Unread 08-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #1931
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

All we are saying is though it might be a problem for some at the same time it isn't a big issue like some make it to be thats all. It isn't like 9 out of 10 or failing. Your talking about a small number in question. Jeep would have had a massive recall had it been a bigger issue instead it was a TSB that affected only a handful. I understand the people that have had the problems and I know it must suck to have to deal with it.
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #1932
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

First, I appreciate the work that goes into this thread. I am contributing by noting that the sky is not falling for all 2005-2006 owners regarding the OPDA. I'd submit that I, and tens of thousands of others, have no issues with it. Did you know that people read this thread and then have an irrational fear of their OPDA going out, or choose not to buy a 2005-2006 Wrangler based on this thread alone (hurting your resale value)? I'm trying to balance the fear-mongering, I'm sorry if you don't understand how that's useful. I've also never stooped to personal insults, but you let them fly at will.

I show Jeep sold ~80,000 Wranglers in 2006, and ~70,000 in 2005. So our baseline is 150,000 2005-2006 Wranglers potentially impacted by the OPDA.

So I spent lunch reading:
Quote:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2005-06-owners-what-you-doing-about-cps-issue-1114837
47 votes and 12 are doing something about it. Not that they have problems, just that they are doing something about it. That's 0.008%.

Quote:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/opda-poll-06-owners-1176879/
That's for 2006 owners only, sadly I can't vote. So that means I can't see the vast amount of data collected. The thread is 13 posts long.

Quote:
75 total votes, 23 said no issue, 21 don't know. So from that, we're at 0.02% of all 05-06 Wranglers having this issue. And, 0.029% of those that may have inspected, found no problem, or they don't even know.

Quote:
then you'd see that the clear majority of those who've inspected have discovered a potential problem.
That's not what your data shows.

I contrast this thread with the thread about gas tanks overfilling. They have a lot of data pointing to that being a major issue. They even have a system set up to report that data to Jeep (which I've done) in the hopes of getting a recall. Isn't the OPDA potentially a larger issue? If so, then where's the similar effort to do something about it?
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #1933
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Shakey;12105119]First, I appreciate the work that goes into this thread. I am contributing by noting that the sky is not falling for all 2005-2006 owners regarding the OPDA. I'd submit that I, and tens of thousands of others, have no issues with it. Did you know that people read this thread and then have an irrational fear of their OPDA going out, or choose not to buy a 2005-2006 Wrangler based on this thread alone (hurting your resale value)? I'm trying to balance the fear-mongering, I'm sorry if you don't understand how that's useful. I've also never stooped to personal insults, but you let them fly at will.

I show Jeep sold ~80,000 Wranglers in 2006, and ~70,000 in 2005. So our baseline is 150,000 2005-2006 Wranglers potentially impacted by the OPDA.

"There seemed to be enough to put the OPDA's on national backorder at least twice. As highly as we think of ourselves here on JF I don't believe we did it with our purchases alone."
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #1934
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post

"There seemed to be enough to put the OPDA's on national backorder at least twice. As highly as we think of ourselves here on JF I don't believe we did it with our purchases alone."
How many OPDAs do you think are floating around out there in the parts market at any time? Not trying to take a side in this argument, but I wouldn't think its that many. Yes, probably more than the numbers Shakey's quoting from the polls but I doubt we are talking about thousands of orders to create a backorder situation.
Unread 08-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #1935
Zetto

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
How many OPDAs do you think are floating around out there in the parts market at any time? Not trying to take a side in this argument, but I wouldn't think its that many. Yes, probably more than the numbers Shakey's quoting from the polls but I doubt we are talking about thousands of orders to create a backorder situation.
Just a few months ago Chrysler was back ordered over 400 units with the majority of them reserved for vehicles sitting on the dealer lot waiting to be repaired. This came from a case I logged with Chrysler so it was more than just hearsay.
Zetto is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.