2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 127 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #1891
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I'm just a tap dancing monkey with a cowboy hat on but, I figure the bushing is a oilite type that has some porosity and once the shaft and bushing warms up the waxy crap soaks into the bushing.
If only! My magnet tells me the bushing is not. I’d bet that if the bushing was oilite we would never hear the laughing monkey.

Speaking of monkeys, I’ve never seen one in a cowboy hat driving a jeep. If I get up in the Bakersfield area, I'll be looking for you!

Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #1892
JV05TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So im sure this might have been covered but by page 14 I decided to just ask - I'm getting a knocking sound that I think is coming from this problem. Has anybody had that? I don't get any squeeking or anything, just a knocking sound and its fairly faint but still somewhat noticable. I have not pulled it yet but I started and one of the bolts that holds the cap down broke off a half circle piece of metal that is screws into on the actual housing so I gotta get a new one anyway.
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #1893
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't let that stop me. See what shape the OPDA is in. The way the cap fits on, I'm sure one bolt will hold it just fine. It has been discussed briefly before but it is good practice that any bolts going into aluminum have anti-seize on the threads. A small tube at the local parts store is not expensive & lasts forever.
Unread 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #1894
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just grasping at straws, but I thought I'd throw this out. Just for giggles I took a look at the gear on my son's 2000 Sahara yesterday. I't looked fine with even wear. The noticable thing was that the hold down bolt broke loose very easily, with the same wrench I use for the 2005. The first time I removed the bolt on the 2005 it took quite an effort to break it loose.This is a long reach Snap- On wrench. I don't know what the torque value is,but the 2000 was probably not over 10-12 lb.ft.
Could the OPDA's on our Jeeps have been tightened so much as to actually bind the shaft?
Also the 2000 has 143,000 miles and unless someone snuck into my driveway in the last 11 years and loosened the bolt it has never been off.
Like I stated,just an observation not enough info to start a debate.
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #1895
NextJeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Slugger, are you talking about the bolt that holds the OPDA in place? Seems highly unlikely to me, but maybe (Willy will chime in). I haven't posted in this thread since it first started. It's funny to think that more R&D on this part has been done via this thread, by JF members, than Chrysler ever did.
NextJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #1896
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextJeep View Post
Slugger, are you talking about the bolt that holds the OPDA in place? Seems highly unlikely to me, but maybe (Willy will chime in). I haven't posted in this thread since it first started. It's funny to think that more R&D on this part has been done via this thread, by JF members, than Chrysler ever did.
Yea , the hold down bolt. I agree it is unlikely, actually was hesitant to even post , but at this point any avenue to explore to find a solution.
My real thought was that it would help explain why some have trouble at such varied mileage and that some never do. Maybe different folks doing the assembly, some tightening it more than others. I can't see much Quality Control going on anywhere else so this probably isn't any different.

Hopefully Willy will chime in as I believe he has worked on several OPDA's removal and re-installing.
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #1897
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger

Yea , the hold down bolt. I agree it is unlikely, actually was hesitant to even post , but at this point any avenue to explore to find a solution.
My real thought was that it would help explain why some have trouble at such varied mileage and that some never do. Maybe different folks doing the assembly, some tightening it more than others. I can't see much Quality Control going on anywhere else so this probably isn't any different.

Hopefully Willy will chime in as I believe he has worked on several OPDA's removal and re-installing.
While I certainly encourage the brainstorming, I doubt that over tightening the hold-down could be the culprit; if it were uneven tightening as described, the entire housing would be arched, causing the shaft to wear excessively but evenly at the apex of the arch.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #1898
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger

While I certainly encourage the brainstorming, I doubt that over tightening the hold-down could be the culprit; if it were uneven tightening as described, the entire housing would be arched, causing the shaft to wear excessively but evenly at the apex of the arch and my shafts (again, I'm looking at three units) all have uneven wear. I'm not convinced about the seal inversion hypothesis I proposed, but I'm more inclined to buy the misalignment idea than over tightening. I'll post more pics of the shafts in the morning.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #1899
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Maybe they just used a wooden dowel or similar to align the bushings

Maybe they had a bad run of aluminum, they forged a bunch of bad housings that were just slightly misaligned and decided to use them anyways. This might explain why some fail at 16,000 and some still have not failed at 100,000.
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #1900
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
While I certainly encourage the brainstorming, I doubt that over tightening the hold-down could be the culprit; if it were uneven tightening as described, the entire housing would be arched, causing the shaft to wear excessively but evenly at the apex of the arch and my shafts (again, I'm looking at three units) all have uneven wear. I'm not convinced about the seal inversion hypothesis I proposed, but I'm more inclined to buy the misalignment idea than over tightening. I'll post more pics of the shafts in the morning.
I wouldn't even go so far as calling my thoughts pondering, much less brainstorming. I guess I'm looking at variables in the failure times of our units as the solution to the problem.Although the design seems to have so many problems from lack of lubrication to the size of the wheel the fact that failures are occurring as early as 8k miles while others have over 100k miles with no problems seem to point to assembly variables more than machining.
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #1901
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed2566 View Post
Maybe they just used a wooden dowel or similar to align the bushings

Maybe they had a bad run of aluminum, they forged a bunch of bad housings that were just slightly misaligned and decided to use them anyways. This might explain why some fail at 16,000 and some still have not failed at 100,000.
This could be possible,but in this thread people with engine build dates from late in the year in 04' to the last to roll off the line in summer of 06' have had problems. I also have not heard of anyone other than LDI making these things. Maybe they could have been running housings, shafts, bushings on different machines,but after looking at their website months ago they seem to know how to machine parts.
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #1902
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
If you post more photos give us some of the cutaway showing the lower bushing area as well as letting us know if there was any evidence of oil getting into the area above the lower bushing & if so, how far up. Thanks.
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #1903
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I honestly don't think over-tightening could be the problem Slugger. All the hold down bolt does is to clamp the housing against the block, so once the housing is against the block, it won't give any more. Any excessive tightening of the bolt at that point would only affect the clamp, to the point it might bend or the bolt snap off.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #1904
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Can't say the overtightening idea didn't cross my mind. Then it went to machining of the OPDA mating surface and position relative to the block. While I've done several FogMod's, I've only installed (not including mine) three. One was so tight I needed a 6-point. The other two were manageable. I saw no difference in OPDA quality and like mentioned earlier, overtightening would impact the retention clamp once the housing seats.

Being no expert I have to think the difference in failure and wear points is a combination of drive style (higher RPMs), low ZDDP oil during break-in (at the least), low oil level, and binding. I don't think binding would start that early in mileage though. I know from experience that heat and the potential for binding starts are 50K. I've seen OPDA shafts at that mileage. Not long after 60K my laughing monkey started.
Unread 08-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #1905
JV05TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Would a knocking sound be a symptom of this issue? I'm about 90% sure its coming from my opda just b/c and put my hand on the cap and felt the vibrations but since im not a mechanic i accept the fact i could be wrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.