2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 124 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #1846
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

as of august 16th, is there still no true replacement for this part?

rwh63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #1847
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh63
as of august 16th, is there still no true replacement for this part?
Nope, and there never will be from Mopar, almost guaranteed. Haven't heard anything more from Crowne, either.

Good oil and a FOGmod is the only ticket in town at the moment.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #1848
magnum629
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Nope, and there never will be from Mopar, almost guaranteed. Haven't heard anything more from Crowne, either.

Good oil and a FOGmod is the only ticket in town at the moment.
and is moble 1 good oil ???
Unread 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #1849
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Oil is discussed on page 1.
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #1850
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Pulled and checked mine the other day. Spinning the shaft felt smooth but a little tight like a seal rubbing, so I guess its ok for now. My plan is get a new one and Fogmod it and swap it in.

Opinions on the gear wear please?

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #1851
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That wear doesn't look bad at all.

Does anyone know a torque value for the "distributor" hold down bolt that keeps the OPDA from turning in the block?
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #1852
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
That wear doesn't look bad at all.

Does anyone know a torque value for the "distributor" hold down bolt that keeps the OPDA from turning in the block?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Good advice about the bolt Willy. I think the bolt is so tight from the factory because they don’t want owners “messing” with it thinking that they can adjust the ignition timing by turning the OPDA - thinking that because that is where the distributor used to be. There is no reason to but it back that tight.
I doubt there is a published torque spec. How would one get a torque wrench in there? It is not like there is much chance of it turning on its own unless you are getting serious binding & possible laughing monkey sounds from the upper bushing so just reasonable judgment should be OK.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #1853
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
Pulled and checked mine the other day. Spinning the shaft felt smooth but a little tight like a seal rubbing, so I guess its ok for now. My plan is get a new one and Fogmod it and swap it in.

Opinions on the gear wear please?
The wear pattern is wider than ideal but not terrible. I would suggest that you pull the shaft out & give it & the top bushing a little shot of oil. Remember that the gear only goes back on one way. Mark it before removing.
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #1854
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I doubt there is a published torque spec. How would one get a torque wrench in there? It is not like there is much chance of it turning on its own unless you are getting serious binding & possible laughing monkey sounds from the upper bushing so just reasonable judgment should be OK.
I just bought a 2 piece distributor wrench that joins the halves using a 3/8 socket connector. I can use a torque wrench using that. When I last had a shop work on it the bolt was pretty loose. I tightened it using a regular wrench until it was pretty tight. I will be good to know how tight I'm getting it.
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #1855
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just bought a 2 piece distributor wrench that joins the halves using a 3/8 socket connector. I can use a torque wrench using that. When I last had a shop work on it the bolt was pretty loose. I tightened it using a regular wrench until it was pretty tight. I will be good to know how tight I'm getting it.
Got it. Clever using that 2 piece wrench. You said it was pretty lose but even at that the OPDA obviously did not turn or you would have thrown a CEL code. So a little tighter should be OK. If you really want to pursue it you could search for "typical" torque values for various size bolts & get a ballpark value. Bottom line is you are probably the only one who will have to remove it in the future so make it easy on yourself.

BTW my OPDA is out now & I'm replacing that bolt with a stud & nut to make the process easier, especially the installation.
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #1856
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The wear pattern is wider than ideal but not terrible. I would suggest that you pull the shaft out & give it & the top bushing a little shot of oil. Remember that the gear only goes back on one way. Mark it before removing.
Sorry I gotta' ask. If the gear only goes back on one way, why the need to mark it?

No time to do the FogMod before my trip so I'm just installing the new one in the old one's place untouched. I'll FogMod the old one (which has only chirped once when it was really cold) as practice and do the new one in the fall. Mind you, I'm only swapping this out because I don't care to ruin my vacation with a seized shaft or a blown gear.

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #1857
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post
Sorry I gotta' ask. If the gear only goes back on one way, why the need to mark it?

No time to do the FogMod before my trip so I'm just installing the new one in the old one's place untouched. I'll FogMod the old one (which has only chirped once when it was really cold) as practice and do the new one in the fall. Mind you, I'm only swapping this out because I don't care to ruin my vacation with a seized shaft or a blown gear.
(Edited because I mis-understood initially)

If your old one "chirped," as you said, it's done and I'm not sure it can be resurrected, but it might be possible.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #1858
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't know that you will get an accurate torque on that bolt using a distributor wrench with a torque wrench on it..... even though you are using a ratchet, the force is applied in more of a manner as a traditional box end then a socket.

Curious to know if it does work properly or not.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/yjjeepinmike
Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
fordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #1859
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post

Well marking it is more for awareness. Someone here recently had his 180 out & the holes did not quite line up but he forced it & broke the gear.

Your trip isn't to Tennessee is it? Anyway, good luck & be safe.
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #1860
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
To clarify: It can go back in in a variety of positions, but only one will allow your engine to run...mark it. As for installing a new one, use the TDC method or it ain't going to work except by miraculous coincidence.
I think Ruby4MyMrs was talking about the gear going on the shaft.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.