2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 122 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #1816
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
I used "Green Grease". Seemed to be the best at Advance Auto. After researching it a bit, I think I'll just use it for all the grease fittings on the chassis.

http://www.greengrease.net/
No way would I use Green Grease in my OPDA. It is a perfect grease for ujoints and everything else underneath, but it is way to stiff and tacky for the OPDA.

The opposite is true for Aeroshell. It is very fluid to the point were I would highly recommend wrapping the grease gun in a big ziploc because it will separate and sweat lubricant. I don't think it would be a good idea to use underneath. Green Grease is perfect for that task. I use it myself, but I will never touch my OPDA.

I've done Mobilith 220 which I would consider a common mid-grade grease for most applications. I don't think it did well in the OPDA so I would default to tkki's Aeroshell results and FOG's initial recommendations.

Unread 08-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #1817
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting.... I guess that means I get to pull the OPDA again, oh joy.

At my prior job with the airlines, we used Aeroshell 33MS and yes, it seperates. Not used on the planes I currently work on.

I suppose I'll keep the green grease for "everything else" and order 33MS for the OPDA. Or I could pull the ignorance card - "but I haven't had any problems yet!11!!1!", lol.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #1818
magnum629
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Guys can u help me with a few things ? I tryed to read as much as I can but theres a few things I dont get....

1. I see guys saying they went with new lifters ,why did the lifters go bad ???

2. The shaft runs dry thats why the fogmod helps But why is the gear wearing? Im guess the added stress from the shafts lack of oil ??

Thanks all
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #1819
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum629 View Post
Guys can u help me with a few things ? I tryed to read as much as I can but theres a few things I dont get....

1. I see guys saying they went with new lifters ,why did the lifters go bad ???

2. The shaft runs dry thats why the fogmod helps But why is the gear wearing? Im guess the added stress from the shafts lack of oil ??

Thanks all
There is an oil/break-in/additive issue that has caused some lifter damage. While potentially related to the OPDA wear they aren't something we are focused on. There will be engine component wear but the problem is the OPDA failure rate.

I can't say for a certainty that the FogMod will fix the gear wear. We don't know the cause and apparently neither does Skinny Pedal, Chrysler, or Crown. We are all guessing. The FogMod will help with the upper bushing binding that can contribute to gear wear and premature/catastrophic failures. Wear could be a result of alignment, break-in, OPDA design, we don't know.

The FodMod is a relatively simple, cheap, do something fix. It will do no harm and should help the upper bushing tremendously.
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #1820
magnum629
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
There is an oil/break-in/additive issue that has caused some lifter damage. While potentially related to the OPDA wear they aren't something we are focused on. There will be engine component wear but the problem is the OPDA failure rate.

I can't say for a certainty that the FogMod will fix the gear wear. We don't know the cause and apparently neither does Skinny Pedal, Chrysler, or Crown. We are all guessing. The FogMod will help with the upper bushing binding that can contribute to gear wear and premature/catastrophic failures. Wear could be a result of , break-in, OPDA design, we don't know.

The FodMod is a relatively simple, cheap, do something fix. It will do no harm and should help the upper bushing tremendously.

Thanks for getting back to me. The fogmod does seem like a good idea and Ill give it a try. The way the gears are wearing it looks like a axel thats set up to tight I often think about the alignment..
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #1821
magnum629
2005 TJ Wrangler 

my gear is starting to wear .....I called dealer they dont want to help me. I told them the truth the gears wearing and its still covered for 9 more mons...But they dont want to help since the jeeps running fine at this time...any tips what I can do to get the dealer to put a new opda in??
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #1822
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum629
my gear is starting to wear .....I called dealer they dont want to help me. I told them the truth the gears wearing and its still covered for 9 more mons...But they dont want to help since the jeeps running fine at this time...any tips what I can do to get the dealer to put a new opda in??
Twist it in the block enough to set a code so they have something to go off of.

I'm not usually for "getting" the company's on warranty stuff, (technically your not anyway) but they are playing dirty with something they are well aware is a major problem.
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #1823
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have been putting off reading this thread until now, thinking my Jeep was immune (Rev-e). I now know what I have to do next.

Thanks to all the guys that have contributed all the tech.
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #1824
magnum629
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
I have been putting off reading this thread until now, thinking my Jeep was immune (Rev-e). I now know what I have to do next.

Thanks to all the guys that have contributed all the tech.

I did the same....butt then i pulled mine and found its going bad..
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #1825
cologc46

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't put off reading the OPDA thread, and so I did pull mine. It too was going bad, and my jeep only has 11K miles. The first owner only put 7700 miles on it in 5 years, but I suspect a lot of trail miles and he might have been trailering it??? He lived in Aspen (tough life ) and there are a lot of trail options right out the back door there, so who knows. All I know is that the mileage was low, the frame and body are perfect, the suspension shows some wear and tear, and the OPDA gear was definitely on the road to failure. I pulled it at 10K miles. I replaced my OEM OPDA with a fogmodded OPDA and will hope someone engineers a fix for this soon.
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #1826
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

can someone in the know help me identify whether i'm in the good or bad opda group?

my build # is:9 064 5210
my sequence # is: 111441

it's a 2006 LJ with 73k miles.
rwh63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #1827
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum629

I did the same....butt then i pulled mine and found its going bad..
Hehe you said "butt".
Sorry for this useless post...couldn't resist.

Now will someone really smart come up with a great design and solve all our opda problems already!
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #1828
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh63
can someone in the know help me identify whether i'm in the good or bad opda group?

my build # is:9 064 5210
my sequence # is: 111441

it's a 2006 LJ with 73k miles.
There is no good or bad group dude. They are all bad. Come to terms with it.
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #1829
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
There is no good or bad group dude. They are all bad. Come to terms with it.
Yup. You have a 2006. If you have a 2005 or 2006 you have an OPDA that has the potential for premature wear and catastrophic failure. Not all do, but don't be the guy with their head in the sand. Pull it (video on page 1) and check it. If it's fine (some are), you have a special one. If it's bad, replace it with new. FogMod the new one to remove any issue with the upper bushing. All the pics for the FogMod are on page 1. If you are uncomfortable doing it, send me a PM.
Unread 08-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #1830
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

willy(and others), thanks for all the hard work on this problem.

any updates on a corrected replacement, and is the current Jeep replacement still around $100. there is a lot of info here, but i take it that replacing one unit for another is straightforward?
rwh63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.