2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 120 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #1786
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I'm not agreeing that the gear looks that good. I would like to see the other half. From that one view it looks like the pattern is getting longer on the lower teeth. If the pattern is uneven as mine is, I don't think it is good.
I also do not think the gear looks good. It shows the same wear as we've seen on other models, but to a slightly lesser degree. Benderff's gear looked like what I believe a normal wear pattern should be.

Unread 08-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #1787
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm wondering - what would be involved in converting over to the 03/04 computer/ecm which would allow/require use of the earlier OPDA? I was also thinking about the pre 01 with distrubutor as i've heard many folks say those engines seemed more responsive even with the older, not as good intake manifold. However i like the idea of coil pack ignition and maybe there wouldn't be as many changes needed for 03/04.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #1788
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
I'm wondering - what would be involved in converting over to the 03/04 computer/ecm which would allow/require use of the earlier OPDA? I was also thinking about the pre 01 with distrubutor as i've heard many folks say those engines seemed more responsive even with the older, not as good intake manifold. However i like the idea of coil pack ignition and maybe there wouldn't be as many changes needed for 03/04.
This sums up the latest of various discussions there have been on this thread. It seems like an idea that has no answer. If you can find someone to try it, let us know. We are all looking for solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I havn't posted in this thread lately,but have been watching the progress reports closely. I ran across in JP magazines July engine swap article the following. That in 2006 GM changed from a 24x " Reluctor " to a 58x unit.This is what sends the timing signal to the ECU. This was brought about by government regulations requiring finer resolutions to determine misfire and emissions.

This info is on page 34 along with sources that offer convertors to use a new engine with an old ECU. I am hesitant to post that part of the article as I'm sure some of these folks may not like having their names posted without permission.

That said a previous post I made about reflashing or using a convertor that will allow us to use a 04' OPDA and my contacting several companies that program ECU's went by without comment. I think that we probably all seem to be trying to make our 05 and 06 OPDA's work like the 04 and earlier units.

My thinking is that if we can find someone that can make the 05/06 ECU work with the 04 OPDA that would be easier, cheaper and more trustworthy than our modded ones.

Thanks to Fog, Willy, Tiki, Lope and everyone else that have worked hard to solve this problem.
Quote:
I remember that discussion. It may have died from lack of comments so I will comment here. If you can find that person & be our ginney pig I'm sure a lot of us will be interested. I personally don't have the expertise to get into ECU & EFI programming. It doesn't seem practical to try to go to an earlier ECU But I think anyone with current OPDA problems would favor using the '04 unit.

The problem I see is since the change was made for emission reasons will any mod taking us back to the '04 OPDA pass emission testing for those who need to?

Just a consideration. But go forward & keep us posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
I don't have have the expertise either I was just hoping that maybe someone does. My research has been that no one seems interested in putting the work into a low demand, " compared to other engines" programming issues.

I wasn't thinking of an earlier ECU just the earlier OPDA. Yea, I was hoping someone could do this reprogramming without throwing codes and confusing the ECU so bad that it wouldn't pass emissions. I have found alot of folks that do the GM and Ford V-8 hot rod motors and don't have emission problems.

For some reason even with the late model Hemi's the Chrysler ECU's give the programmers a fit.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #1789
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Wolf View Post
I'm wondering - what would be involved in converting over to the 03/04 computer/ecm which would allow/require use of the earlier OPDA?
My guess is you'll need to replace sensors too, to put in sensors that are compatible with the earlier ECM. Check one of the online MOPAR dealers and see whether the part number has changed between the 04 sensor and the 05 sensor for each sensor. I presume it's doable, with the caveat that you may need to do some soldering to change the ECM connector from the old to the new, and better be quite confident in your ability to read old and new wiring diagram for the engine harness . That said, you're talking about big bucks there -- have you priced ECM's recently? It's a heckuva lot cheaper to just Fogmod your OPDA and keep an eye on it.
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #1790
smokediver1975
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Figured it's my turn to add to the story, 2006 LJ with 35k miles, pulled the OPDA today and these pictures are my findings thus far:

All in all not too bad at this point in my opinion. I bought the Jeep with 11k on it from a dealer so I have no idea how it was broken in. Ever since then it's been either Mobile 1, Syntec, or Penzoil Platinum full sythetic 10-30's with Ford FL1A or Bosch filters (depending on whats on sale) with an oil change interval of 5000 miles. Anyone want to add anything or give advice please do.
smokediver1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #1791
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver1975 View Post
Figured it's my turn to add to the story, 2006 LJ with 35k miles, pulled the OPDA today and these pictures are my findings thus far:

All in all not too bad at this point in my opinion. I bought the Jeep with 11k on it from a dealer so I have no idea how it was broken in. Ever since then it's been either Mobile 1, Syntec, or Penzoil Platinum full sythetic 10-30's with Ford FL1A or Bosch filters (depending on whats on sale) with an oil change interval of 5000 miles. Anyone want to add anything or give advice please do.
If that shaft photo is as it came out (no clean up) it looks really good. Hardly a mark at the seal & a little scoring from the bottom bushing, it appears. Did the shaft have an oil film? Need better shots of the wear side of the gear teeth & a shot of the end that engages the oil pump.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #1792
smokediver1975
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Best I have of gear teeth where they engage the game, they all look just as good as the rest of the gear and visual inspection of the cam shows no wear whatsoever that I can identify. The shaft photo is after a quick wipe down with a degreaser rag, had slight discoloration before that but surface is smooth and no noticeable imperfections were noted.
smokediver1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #1793
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This sums up the latest of various discussions there have been on this thread. It seems like an idea that has no answer. If you can find someone to try it, let us know. We are all looking for solutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
My guess is you'll need to replace sensors too, to put in sensors that are compatible with the earlier ECM. Check one of the online MOPAR dealers and see whether the part number has changed between the 04 sensor and the 05 sensor for each sensor. I presume it's doable, with the caveat that you may need to do some soldering to change the ECM connector from the old to the new, and better be quite confident in your ability to read old and new wiring diagram for the engine harness . That said, you're talking about big bucks there -- have you priced ECM's recently? It's a heckuva lot cheaper to just Fogmod your OPDA and keep an eye on it.
My Jeep had the OPDA problem before the original thread (Chrysler replacing cam...) was made. That is, I had to deal with this problem before it was well known. In fact my Jeep was even covered under a powertrain waranty but it was deemed electrical and not internal to the engine. Now I know better, but now it is also too late. I do have the recipet from the Jeep dealer (where I bought it used and the waranty was from) diagnosing the issue with the date/mileage.

This was around ~68k IIRC. I noticed the weep hole in the bottom and figured since I recently went wheelin it must have gotten wet/muddy inside. Again, I didn't know better. It was squeeling for about a week on and off, I'd hit the gas and it'd go away.

I bought a new one myself and installed it, this was when they were first around $120. I threw the old one out before I knew it could even be torn down and inspected. The shaft was binded pretty darn well and it took a lot of effort to turn.

When the FOGMOD came about, I then pulled my replacement OPDA which now had ~20k on it and did the mod. This is when they went up to ~$350. Now they are back down to $120 so I bought another, brand new one to keep as a spare. My cam gear is worn past the hardened stage, but so far all is well. Jeep has 96k on it now.

As for the electronics change. Thinking more into it, I don't think the distrubutor system is a good idea for a few reasons, I prefer coil pack anyway and the exhausts changed over. I'd like to find out if '01/'02 ECM/electronics differ from '03/'04.

I'm thinking that may be the best way. Yes, ECMs are expensive new - but that's why you go used from a wrecked Jeep. I don't care about changing sensors, wiring harness or splicing my own wiring. It is semi-common in the 80s BMW world to run an older engine on newer electronics for various improvements. It shouldn't be a whole lot different with the Jeep going backwards. Being a manual transmission and having minimal integrated with a body computer means it should be nice too.

I understand '05/'06 run JTEC, anyone have insight as to what '01-'04 runs? and are they the same or different as '03 was the TJ update, among things that changed - the oil pressure gauge went from "mostly real" to "idiot light", and in both cases, it was ran by the ECM.

If I could get the Jeep to run '04 electronics, including new early OPDA and change out my cam - then this stupid problem would be totally behind me.

At this point, even changing the entire wiring harness wouldn't be that big of a deal if it was required for the ECM. I don't think the 4.0 itself has many differences, but I do remember reading about the crankshaft position sensors being in different spots, flywheel vs crankshaft hub (front vs back of engine).

I have the '05 TJ FSM on CD, but the disc drive in my laptop (only computer) quit working. It'd be interesting to compare it to '03/'04.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #1794
rh24012
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Oil pump drive

I Just ordered a new yes new oil pump drive for my 2004 LJ for $39.00 free frt from Auto parts direct to you. Jeep wants $ 228.00 i could replace a lot of time
for that humm !!!!!!
Unread 08-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #1795
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh24012 View Post
I Just ordered a new yes new oil pump drive for my 2004 LJ for $39.00 free frt from Auto parts direct to you. Jeep wants $ 228.00 i could replace a lot of time
for that humm !!!!!!
I'm quite sure that isn't the entire OPDA - may just be the gear.

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #1796
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh24012 View Post
for that humm !!!!!!

If we had a 2004, we might be able to get an OPDA for that price too. I just checked their site for an '04 and an '05 with no luck even finding an expensive one. Do you have a part number? Why are you replacing yours when you shouldn't be having the problem?

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #1797
rh24012
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Oil pump drive

The reason i am replacing the OPDA is because the top bushing is worn to the point that the cam sensor is hitting and making a ticking noise. my lj only has 58k on it .
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #1798
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This thread is focused on 2005-06 models. The 2004 model will not work for 2005-06. It can be had all over the Internet for $40 without the sensor.

Earlier models do have the laughing monkey/upper binding problem just not to the degree of the 2005-06 models. On the first page (post 1) there is a link to a pre-2005 model laughing monkey.
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #1799
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

We need a removal write up for 2004 and previous years ODPA.

It looks easy as hell, do I need to worry about lining anything up taking it on or off? Or just pop it out and twist it back in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #1800
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Since we have over 100 pages of 2005-06 problems, I think you should start a new thread regarding the 2004 and earlier models.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.