2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 118 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #1756
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusco View Post
So with this info.....do I still FogMod?
I would. The gear looks pretty good but at some point the upper bushing will run out of lube. FogMod will insure against that and may last you the life of the jeep.

lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #1757
Brainwashed2566
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusco View Post

The tech that did the inspection is a Jeep gear head and did explain there was a recall of 16k Jeeps with a certain VIN (not mine) that were effected with poor design OPDAs in mid 2005. Now he said there was an OPDA for '05 Wranglers prior to the REV-B and REV-E. Those are the OPDA's that were part of the 16k recall back in early 2005. He states the original OPDA were NOT made by LDI, another company, but does not recall the name......
That would be interesting if it were true. If there was another manufacturer of OPDA in early 2005, I would ask someone post a pic of it. Having said that, I think that the general consensus is that all 2005-2006 models are affected with this problem regardless of companies/ brands/ models. The OPDA is just crap, no matter what lol.

Your gear looks good though. It is up to you what you want to do, but most people will recommend the FOGMOD I would think. Good luck!
Brainwashed2566 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #1758
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed2566 View Post
That would be interesting if it were true. If there was another manufacturer of OPDA in early 2005, I would ask someone post a pic of it. Having said that, I think that the general consensus is that all 2005-2006 models are affected with this problem regardless of companies/ brands/ models. The OPDA is just crap, no matter what lol.

Your gear looks good though. It is up to you what you want to do, but most people will recommend the FOGMOD I would think. Good luck!
You are correct, that tech was completely mistaken. I have an early '05 that was part of the infamous E05 TSB. It is an LDI rev B. I don't want to further the creditability that the E05 somehow fixed the problem or that those were the only bad units but somewhere I have the # range of the E05s. That is the 4 digit # preceding the "Rev B".

I'm not agreeing that the gear looks that good. I would like to see the other half. From that one view it looks like the pattern is getting longer on the lower teeth. If the pattern is uneven as mine is, I don't think it is good.

Here is my OPDA
p4130172.jpg  
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #1759
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

My s/n on my 05 TJ was in the recall range, and it was a rev B.
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #1760
90FORDF150
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I was about to buy a used 2006 LJ with 62k miles on it. Should I pass and get a JK instead?
90FORDF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #1761
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90FORDF150 View Post
I was about to buy a used 2006 LJ with 62k miles on it. Should I pass and get a JK instead?
Depends on your goals. You can build a LJ into an awesome offroad vehicle especially for climbing where the longer wheelbase keeps your front wheels on the ground much better than the short-wheelbase Jeeps yet it's not so long that it's cumbersome like the new 4-door JK's, but the new 2012 JK's are better daily drivers due to the better mpg and 100 more horsepower. I do know I'm not selling my LJ. Even if I end up having to rebuild my LJ's engine early because of this problem (unlikely, but it could happen), it's still cheaper to do an engine rebuild than to take the $15K hit to buy a new JK, and there just isn't a JK with the right wheelbase for what a LJ is good for (the 4 door JK is too long, the 2 door JK is too short).
badtux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #1762
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90FORDF150
Yes. Or get an 04.
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #1763
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
My s/n on my 05 TJ was in the recall range, and it was a rev B.
Same here.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #1764
Rubi4Us
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Yes. Or get an 04.
I don't agree that you should pass on the 05 or 06. The LJ offers the perfect wheelbase in my opinion. If you have any mechanical abilities, keeping an eye on your OPDA after the fogmod at each oil change interval is not a big deal. I'll never sell my 05 LJ.
LJ 2005 Rubicon Unlimited "Sahara" Limited Edition #0146 of 1000
35 inch KM2's with 5.5 inch Rock Krawler Long Arm
Rubi4Us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #1765
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
Yes. Or get an 04.
I disagree as well. I previously had an 07 JK Unlimited. It did just fine off road (3" lift on 34s); however, I prefer my LJ in every way except one- it is not modded yet.
Jarhead Jeep Club member #17
Colorado Jeep Club member #119
July 14, 2008
RIP Danny Dupre SSgt/USMC
element981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #1766
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by element981

I disagree as well. I previously had an 07 JK Unlimited. It did just fine off road (3" lift on 34s); however, I prefer my LJ in every way except one- it is not modded yet.
Same here. I had two JKUs, one on 35s one on 33s, both with nice lifts, a Sahara, and a Rubicon. I prefer my LJ.
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #1767
90FORDF150
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. I spoke to a mechanic friend who told me that this issue isn't a reason not to get the vehicle. Just have to keep an eye on it. Seems to be the consensus so far. Of course, I respect keithert's opinion too. I think I'm going to go for the LJ. Thanks again.
90FORDF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #1768
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You won't regret the decision. Of course fogmod.
Peterpsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 05:43 PM   #1769
Baseplate
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I wrote to Chrysler Australia about my 2006 TJ with OPDA and Cam wear (30,000 miles), I sent them pictures and explained that they charge around $600 USD for the same OPDA I can source from Mopar Wholesale for half that and that the part Australian's are supplied does not even include the CPS.

This is there response - in a nutshell - we dont give a rats

Good Morning Mr XXXX

I have been advised after talking to our District Field Manager for QLD and our technical manager that your vehicle is not affected by the bulletin that was released.

The failure to your vehicle is unfortunate however the bulletin was purely a proactive measure whilst the vehicle was still in warranty for our Chrysler dealerships to follow the steps on any affected vehicles.

As the vehicle is outside of the Manufacturer warranty Chrysler is unable to assist in any compensation or reimbursement for the repairs.

If at the time of failure your local Chrysler dealership was approached to discuss goodwill we may have assisted with special pricing on the part. If any failure occurs in future I can only suggest prior to the repair being done you can either contact the Chrysler dealership or Chrysler Australia to discuss if there is anything we are able to assist with.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Kind Regards

XXXXXX
Customer Relations Executive
Chrysler Australia Pty Ltd
Baseplate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #1770
snobank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Will this happen to ll 06 tjs
snobank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.