2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 115 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #1711
rnorma1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
The more I look back through this thread I am thinking about just FOG Mod'ing the OPDA I am running now. What do you think?
Your gear looks great to me! I'm not sure what all that black gunk is at the top of yours but you're probably right. My almost 60k mile one I took apart today had nothing like that at all.....but my gear was a lot more worn!

I would just fog mod your old one and stick it back in.

rnorma1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #1712
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The more I look back through this thread I am thinking about just FOG Mod'ing the OPDA I am running now. What do you think?
I would. Your gear is as good as any I have seen here. Was that really grease on the top part of the shaft. The so factory so called grease is a light color. Are you the original owner? Looks like a PO may have greased it.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #1713
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorma1 View Post
Your gear looks great to me! I'm not sure what all that black gunk is at the top of yours but you're probably right. My almost 60k mile one I took apart today had nothing like that at all.....but my gear was a lot more worn!

I would just fog mod your old one and stick it back in.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
I would. Your gear is as good as any I have seen here. Was that really grease on the top part of the shaft. The so factory so called grease is a light color. Are you the original owner? Looks like a PO may have greased it.
Thanks. Yup I drove it off the lot, so no one else has greased it. When I looked back I saw some pictures that had that same kinda of black stuff. Hoping someone will chim in with more info.
Unread 07-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #1714
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorma1 View Post
I finally put my new, modified OPDA in today. It was the first time I had both my new one and the original on the bench together to compare.

Original is a Rev B......new one is the same Rev E everyone gets now.

The new one has far less up/down play compared to the old. On the other hand, the old one spun far more freely than the new one.....so much so that I didn't like putting the new one in.

The shaft on my old one has enough wear on it though that you can feel a ridge right below the bottom of where the upper bushing rides. There is scoring in the area of the lower bushing but it's not as deep.

I'm going to install the zerk and grease up the old one and think about putting the gear from the new one on it because it spins so much easier! The only thing keeping me from doing it is the up and down play which I think is what put my wear pattern lower on the driven gear than optimal.

I guess it truly is a crapshoot as far as the binding at the top bushing goes. My LJ is approaching 60k miles at this point with no hint of the binding problem obviously.

As has been stated before, the end play will not affect the gear mesh position. If you need to adjust the end play here is what TJJP77 supplied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
Per the document that Chrysler put out for the early '05 vehicles, you can adjust endplay (within reason, of course) by either placing a socket that is larger than the shaft on top of the tone wheel and smacking it with a soft-faced mallet (to reduce endplay) with the bottom of the shaft (the oil pump end) on a firm surface or by carefully chucking the body of the OPDA in a vise and hitting the top of the shaft itself with a mallet to increase endplay.
I think the end play s/b about 0.35". TJJP77 posted the figure previously.

The old one has wear so it spins freely. The new one should still spin pretty good though. Are you spinning it after the mod & did you already grease it? The grease is thick & there is only about 0.001-0.002" clearance IIRC. That is not a lot for a grease application. I would not expect it to feel very free if it has been greased.

The ridge (groove?) is probably from the seal. I don't think that is anything to worry about.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #1715
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd like to hear your adivce. I'm getting ready for a trip to the Rubicon. I have a spare I can FOG Mod and put on. I have been worried about putting a new gear on the old cam after reading on here, but I don't think it's to bad? If I did that I could keep the old one and put it on the Jeep if I have problems down the road?
Yes, I agree the gear looks real good. Small, even wear in the center. You also seem to have more(any) grease on the shaft than any stock ones I've seen pulled.

I am currently running a replacement (new) unit I put in about 6 mos. ago which I have not modded yet (been busy, too lazy etc.). I took the jeep on a trip to Colorado a couple of weeks ago and before I left I pulled the unit, took it apart (wanted to check it's status anyway) and when I reassembled it, squirted some oil on the shaft at the top bushing area and also put oil inside the top bushing. As much as I could get to stay in there 'cause I figured the oil seal should keep it in. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't give me any problems on the trail. So, if you're concerned about losing the warranty with the FogMod, you might just oil (or grease if you prefer) the unit the same way.
lope is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #1716
rnorma1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
As has been stated before, the end play will not affect the gear mesh position. If you need to adjust the end play here is what TJJP77 supplied.

I think the end play s/b about 0.35". TJJP77 posted the figure previously.

The old one has wear so it spins freely. The new one should still spin pretty good though. Are you spinning it after the mod & did you already grease it? The grease is thick & there is only about 0.001-0.002" clearance IIRC. That is not a lot for a grease application. I would not expect it to feel very free if it has been greased.

The ridge (groove?) is probably from the seal. I don't think that is anything to worry about.
That all makes sense. I suppose the only way you can adjust the mesh is by changing the thickness of the thrust washer and adjusting the depth of the tone wheel accordingly.
rnorma1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #1717
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lope View Post
Yes, I agree the gear looks real good. Small, even wear in the center. You also seem to have more(any) grease on the shaft than any stock ones I've seen pulled.

I am currently running a replacement (new) unit I put in about 6 mos. ago which I have not modded yet (been busy, too lazy etc.). I took the jeep on a trip to Colorado a couple of weeks ago and before I left I pulled the unit, took it apart (wanted to check it's status anyway) and when I reassembled it, squirted some oil on the shaft at the top bushing area and also put oil inside the top bushing. As much as I could get to stay in there 'cause I figured the oil seal should keep it in. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't give me any problems on the trail. So, if you're concerned about losing the warranty with the FogMod, you might just oil (or grease if you prefer) the unit the same way.
Thanks. I was just thinking about doing that. I hadn't noticed anyone doing that. It wouldn't bother me to much to pull it every six months to grease it if that would work.

It's Sunday evening so everything is closed now. I have to wait to get the taps until the morning. I'm thinking I might just FOG Mod it with a flush fitting.
Unread 07-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #1718
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think the gear looks good. I hope I am correct.

I'd like to hear your adivce. I'm getting ready for a trip to the Rubicon. I have a spare I can FOG Mod and put on. I have been worried about putting a new gear on the old cam after reading on here, but I don't think it's to bad? If I did that I could keep the old one and put it on the Jeep if I have problems down the road?
You are on the right track. Your gear looks good, so your camshaft must be ok. I've had 2 brand new OPDA gears break in on my camshaft, for a total of about 10k miles, and the camshaft is still good to go. I stuck my fingers in there to actually feel if there was any kind of ridge or weird wear on the camgear, and it was smooth, so I wouldn't worry about a putting a new OPDA gear on your camshaft.

Once you do the FOGMOD, IMHO, I'm thinking you probably will be able to babysit the camshaft and have it last for the life of the Jeep.

I bet you're glad you pulled the unit.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #1719
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So are we thinking black muck on top is sludge? From a bad seal? Causes laughing monkey/binding?

There is no way it's factory grease. I bet if I had of kept mine instead of letting the dealer do it, it would have looked the same.

It'sMrHall had the same thing (If I remember correctly) and we've seen those black specks in the housing.
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #1720
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

To be clear, Benderff you're at 50K miles?

What oil have you been using?

I've seen OPDA's with no sludge and a severely worn gear. What else is different with yours?

Break in?
Driving conditions? Lead feet?
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #1721
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
So are we thinking black muck on top is sludge? From a bad seal? Causes laughing monkey/binding?

There is no way it's factory grease. I bet if I had of kept mine instead of letting the dealer do it, it would have looked the same.

It'sMrHall had the same thing (If I remember correctly) and we've seen those black specks in the housing.
I didn't have the laughing monkey yet. My first thought has it was from a burnt up seal. I was just looking at his picture, and he had the same sludge. I think I saw another one the same way here also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
To be clear, Benderff you're at 50K miles?

What oil have you been using?

I've seen OPDA's with no sludge and a severely worn gear. What else is different with yours?

Break in?
Driving conditions? Lead feet?
I'm just over 49,000.

I started using regular dino oil when I bought it. After the motor was broken in I switched to Castrol synthetic which is still shanged at 3000 miles. I changed to VR1 less than 2000 miles ago.

I drive a mix of around town, and on the freeway, and weekend wheeling. I try to drive without the lead foot to keep the mileage up, but it's to much floor it.

I'm not sure what else is different if anything.

Do think I should install the new one, or the old one? Either one would be FOG mod'ed. I need to read up on installing the new one if that's the case.
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #1722
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
You are on the right track. Your gear looks good, so your camshaft must be ok. I've had 2 brand new OPDA gears break in on my camshaft, for a total of about 10k miles, and the camshaft is still good to go. I stuck my fingers in there to actually feel if there was any kind of ridge or weird wear on the camgear, and it was smooth, so I wouldn't worry about a putting a new OPDA gear on your camshaft.

Once you do the FOGMOD, IMHO, I'm thinking you probably will be able to babysit the camshaft and have it last for the life of the Jeep.

I bet you're glad you pulled the unit.
Thanks. That's what I am hoping.
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #1723
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yea VR1 is about the best you can do unless you want to run a boutique oil like Redline or Royal Purple. In fact for the money you can't beat Valvoline its the best out there. You can call someone who speaks american and get a real answer instead of a indian answering a phone from who knows where. I will say though Royal Purple has nice people Chris Baker is very friendly.
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #1724
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do think I should install the new one, or the old one? Either one would be FOG mod'ed. I need to read up on installing the new one if that's the case.
If the seal is failing which is what I suspect based on the sludge than you may have an issue. At this point I'm guessing a seal problem since it's not grease. I can't imagine what else it would be.

I don't think I would mess with it at all. You have no issues, the gear looks good, clean it and reinstall. Pull it again at 3-5K and have a look at what's happening with the upper bushing? Does the sludge come back? Is there oil up there?
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #1725
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There's no way I'd switch to a different OPDA if I were you. The one you have looks great and I see no reason to mess with a good thing. I'd still do the FOGMOD on both, but re-install the old one.

There was some talk earlier of adjustable end-play (post #1677) and I'm wondering if you took precise measurements before removing the shaft or if it would matter?
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.