2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure - Page 110 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005-06 Jeep OPDA_CPS_Distributor Failure

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #1636
rnorma1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
What is this oBda people keep referring to? Oil bump drive assembly? It runs off the cam and powers your oil bump? Does it only work with stock bumps? Do they make one for fuel bumps? What about locker bumps?
Good catch...sorry about the lazy acronyms!

rnorma1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #1637
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_phreak View Post
tkki any updates on your mods?
how has the hardened shaft held up?
can you verify that oil is now getting into the lower bushing with your holes?
I bought a brand new Ford Ranger a couple of months ago to use as my DD to keep the wear and tear on the TJ to a minimum. That's kind of the reason why I haven't posted for a while. There isn't a sense of urgency to fix the damn ODPA anymore.

As far as the modifications went, there is a lot of Oil getting to the lower bushing. I've pulled the unit a couple of times to check, and after pulling the shaft, there is fresh stuff dripping out of the unit. Does this mean that it fixed the lower bushing issue? Nope. The Shaft is still scoring. I didn't take pictures, but I will, as soon as I install the newest modified unit. The new unit has Bronze bushings top and bottom, along with a hardened shaft and lightened Wheel. Those factory steel bushings suck. The good news with my motor is that the unit gear shows a good wear pattern. Nice and small, and right in the middle of the teeth.

I will post pics when I finish up with the new unit.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #1638
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
I bought a brand new Ford Ranger a couple of months ago to use as my DD to keep the wear and tear on the TJ to a minimum. That's kind of the reason why I haven't posted for a while. There isn't a sense of urgency to fix the damn ODPA anymore.

As far as the modifications went, there is a lot of Oil getting to the lower bushing. I've pulled the unit a couple of times to check, and after pulling the shaft, there is fresh stuff dripping out of the unit. Does this mean that it fixed the lower bushing issue? Nope. The Shaft is still scoring. I didn't take pictures, but I will, as soon as I install the newest modified unit. The new unit has Bronze bushings top and bottom, along with a hardened shaft and lightened Wheel. Those factory steel bushings suck. The good news with my motor is that the unit gear shows a good wear pattern. Nice and small, and right in the middle of the teeth.

I will post pics when I finish up with the new unit.
Well thanks for the update... Could you give me contact info for your machinist? Since he is already familiar with your mods, I would rather drop ship him an OPDA than fiddle with someone in my local area...

How much do you think it would cost to have him:

Replace bushings
Install factory zerk opposite the factory fill hole
Drill the oil holes for the bottom bushing
Harden the shaft
Lighten the wheel

am I missing anything?

any idea? $$$

Thanks!
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #1639
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_phreak View Post
How much do you think it would cost to have him:

Replace bushings
Install factory zerk opposite the factory fill hole
Drill the oil holes for the bottom bushing
Harden the shaft
Lighten the wheel

am I missing anything?

any idea? $$$

Thanks!
The only thing I would question is the lightening of the wheel and the oil holes. I think it was mentioned the oil pump will generate more resistance so lightening the wheel wouldn't have an impact. Regarding the bottom holes, tkki mentioned it didn't help with the scoring even with the extra oil.

I'm curious about the bushings and hardening, but the 2004 CPS has neither and it was fine.

You're going to have scoring with metal to metal contact. I don't know if we can fix that. I don't mean to say not to try it, but maybe one thing at a time.
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #1640
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was talking to my Jeep tech friend at Jeep Masters and he was telling me something that made alot of sense. He was saying that if you pull the OPDA you really need to replace it with a new one and replace your cam as well. Reason being is that gears wear in a certain pattern and by taking a used one off and installing it again it will not mesh 100% again and will also cause premature failure as well. Just thought I would throw that out there.
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #1641
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Have you read this thread at all? Everyone is well aware of that fact. Everyone is just limping by with new OPDA gears till something more permanent comes along.
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #1642
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry our father who wart in heaven. I was only saying and from now on I won't say nothing and let you and any of your other sheep that choose to follow you and do what ever you may please. Just so you know I have read the thread and I have read many that just put the old ones back in thats adding insult to injury if you ask me. Its machinery what will happen will happen.
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #1643
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedlj View Post
Sorry our father who wart in heaven. I was only saying and from now on I won't say nothing and let you and any of your other sheep that choose to follow you and do what ever you may please. Just so you know I have read the thread and I have read many that just put the old ones back in thats adding insult to injury if you ask me. Its machinery what will happen will happen.
This is an important tech thread, lots of people are counting on positive results from this discussion. Lets keep the focus on the tech and keep the squabbling and insults out of here.
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #1644
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

4.6 Golen stroker and be done with it.
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #1645
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
This is an important tech thread, lots of people are counting on positive results from this discussion. Lets keep the focus on the tech and keep the squabbling and insults out of here.
Quote:
And the useless troll comments.

[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #1646
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord

I hate to add more to it, but now that he is in this thread, it's likely to just keep going. Please feel free to delete this comment and any others deemed not related.
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #1647
tkki1230
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
The only thing I would question is the lightening of the wheel and the oil holes. I think it was mentioned the oil pump will generate more resistance so lightening the wheel wouldn't have an impact. Regarding the bottom holes, tkki mentioned it didn't help with the scoring even with the extra oil.

I'm curious about the bushings and hardening, but the 2004 CPS has neither and it was fine.

You're going to have scoring with metal to metal contact. I don't know if we can fix that. I don't mean to say not to try it, but maybe one thing at a time.
Willy is right. Most of the stuff that I'm doing is just for the hell of it. I think the main priority is to mod the OPDA to keep it from seizing/binding. Like I mentioned earlier, my gear looks really good, so for the most part, I think my camshaft and OPDA gear will be ok. I just have to grease that POS OPDA up everytime I do an oil change.
tkki1230 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #1648
rmeredit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Oh Lord. Are you serious?
rmeredit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #1649
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
I hate to add more to it, but now that he is in this thread, it's likely to just keep going. Please feel free to delete this comment and any others deemed not related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeredit View Post
Oh Lord. Are you serious?
Yes, he is. So were Heath and I. Please ignore him and maybe he'll go away.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #1650
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkki1230 View Post
Willy is right. Most of the stuff that I'm doing is just for the hell of it. I think the main priority is to mod the OPDA to keep it from seizing/binding. Like I mentioned earlier, my gear looks really good, so for the most part, I think my camshaft and OPDA gear will be ok. I just have to grease that POS OPDA up everytime I do an oil change.
OK OK OK, fine... maybe I will try to limit my pissing away of dollars on this heep... Thanks for talking me down.

So, what do you guys think about taking a new cam in to get just the OPDA gear mesh hardened. Is it possible to just harden that gear on the cam without effecting the rest of the cam? I'm just thinking about long term survival of the cam now... I suppose I can change OPDA gears like I change oil, but can't do the same for cams. I am willing to do it once, but only once!!!
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.